Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 03:51 AM CDT
Been a LONG while since I used a Sabre. Can anyone give me combo for a Sabre? The one I vaguely recall using involved a Lunge at the end was quite powerful if a little dangeorus during the lunge.

Appreciate the help
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 06:30 AM CDT
This website has all the moves for all weapons.

http://www.geocities.com/redespain/moves.html

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 08:41 AM CDT
>This website has all the moves for all weapons.

No, it has several combos for each weapon, presumably balance positive. You got me all excited that it had the charts with each move and the balance modifier of every other move for each weapon. :(

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>They made Lord of the Rings in a shorter timeline than Simu system development operates on. ~ Celestian Kougen Aensworth
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 09:28 AM CDT
I'm trying to find all the lists that Steelflash had on his site, but I'm still missing several. I'm still missing LE slicer, pike, and a few others. Please, if you have these, or know where I can find them, or know anyone that might have them, lets get this data back on the web. The wiki would be the best place for it I'd guess, but I'm adding it to the CEC as well.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 09:42 AM CDT
Olwydd.org has flow charts for different weapon types that you might find useful. I had to refer to it myself relatively recently for combos for jabbing weapons- since I usually favor slicers.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 12:32 PM CDT
<<No, it has several combos for each weapon, presumably balance positive.

TIGARCLAW <Can anyone give me combo for a Sabre?>

I supplied him with an answer. I can't help it if you assumed something else.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/13/2007 09:33 PM CDT
For a jabber try this..

feint draw lunge thrust jab pummel dodge or parry then just keep doing lunge thrust jab pummel till dead.

Yavus
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/15/2007 03:03 PM CDT
Preciate the help from all thank you.

I used to use Dodge/Lunge/Thrust/Jab.

Do like the one with Slice/Chop at the end too.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/16/2007 07:22 AM CDT
Feint/lunge/thrust/jab (if balance positive you can continue thrust/jab) parry. Rinse. Search creature. Repeat.

From pole, start the feint. The charge is a lunge. I can kill stuff at level charging from pole and then lunging.

This message brought to you by the letters M and F. (I think).

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/16/2007 07:24 AM CDT
this is the combo you want, ignore everyone else as their suggestions are going to get you killed.

parry / feint / feint lunge / thrust / jab

after that first cycle, if you have a stun on the creature, repeat the above only use regular lunge instead of feint lunge

Please note that in multi situations the use of regular lunge at all can be very very hazardous to your health.

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/16/2007 04:06 PM CDT
Listen to both Galren and Axillus. If you want a few tips, find Rmel in game.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/23/2007 11:43 PM CDT
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls <-- click on the last tab (weapon combos)

Personally, I've found this to be the best spot for planning out possible attacks. Breaks things down so you can plan your own pattern, rather then relying on convetional wisdom...
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/24/2007 07:15 AM CDT
I'm still missing a lot of those charts, please if anyone saved them I want to put get them back out there.

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/24/2007 08:26 AM CDT
>I'm still missing a lot of those charts, please if anyone saved them I want to put get them back out there.

Which are you missing? I only have some of them, myself.

>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/24/2007 10:14 AM CDT
I am missing...

Light Edge Slicing
Twohanded Edged Slicing (I think this is the same as HE slice, but I'm not sure)
Light Blunts
Meduim Blunts
Twohanded Blunts (I need confirmation that all moves are == to Heavy Blunts)
Pikes

Keeper of the CEC
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/25/2007 06:34 AM CDT
I have Light Blunt and 2HB for you, I'll e-mail them to your play.net address in a few minutes.

>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/25/2007 11:26 PM CDT
wield sabre
parry
have moment of clarity
drop sabre
wield scimitar
feint
draw
sweep
slice
chop

___
~Ternith Sjomah

Land of the Bear and Land of the Eagle. Land that gave us birth and blessing. Land that pulled us ever homeward. We will go home across the mountains. Hear our singing, hear our longing. We will go home across the mountains.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:50 AM CDT
Heh, that reminds me of the day the changes came out, someone asked on the gweths something along the lines of "Whats a good combo for my sabre?", the reply was "Drop sabre, buy broadsword."

Aside from that, while I'm not a fan of having a lunge so early in a combo, Galren's suggestion of feint - feint lunge seems to do the trick.

Samsaren
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 06:58 AM CDT
While I can understand the hesitation in using a jabbing weapon due to the penalties to lunge, if you are able to use the weapon correctly it is pretty much the only melee alternative against ranged users.

This goes for outside of PvP as well. I can't tell you how many times I'd get to melee on an invasion creature and have to go through a cycle with a slicing weapon before I started landing serious hits. (Problem here is the stuff is usually dead before I can cycle through a combo)

With my sabre in hand (well balance mind you - this thing is a killing machine) I can hit pole and immediately charge in with a lunge (safest if the creature is facing something else) and then go to town. By the second move in the sequence I've already landed some mega damage.

Ontop of that, when folks see me use a sabre they think its safe to add sweep into their combo. Imagine how nasty a hit will land when you trick them with a feint lunge and then pull the real deal once they sweep and take that hit to evasion?

-Galren Moonskin

!>You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde screaming in barbaric approval of your deeds.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 08:35 AM CDT
Everything Galren said is true... except the Lunge from pole. Try Feint from pole followed by a Lunge; it'll provide a really nice hit off the feint, and I've never not had the follow-up lunge stun or kill the critter I'm fighting so long as it's at my level and stunnable. This'll also leave you with some really nice balance and position.

I like what Galren said about juking your opponent also. I've won in the pit quite a few times simply by faking out my opponent with Feint maneuvers and timing my Lunge to land right after they throw in a Sweep.

The upside of puncture weapons, aside from the ability to use Lunge and to charge from pole and do a large amount of damage, is higher balance ratings when compared to slice weapons. This allows you to hit more accurately and parry much more effectively -this allows you to overhunt easier. In PvP, when he-who-hits-first-usually-wins, being more accurate is a huge benefit.

________

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 08:40 AM CDT
My only issue with feinting with the charge is that I don't see enough umph from that first move. When on the coat tails of war mages and moon mages which can nuke things from a distance without having to worry about advancing I need to get in my big shots as quickly as possible.

Generally though you are right, the followup lunge after a feinting charge will provide an even harder hit. I'm just super impatient. :P

-Galren Moonskin

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 09:23 AM CDT
I can understand that line of thinking; as long as you can hit hard enough to get a stun off that Lunge charge it'd work out better than a Feint from pole. Generally if I'm up against a WM or MM the only time I'll use a sabre is if they can hide and I can't spot them, in which case they're probably a good deal bigger than me. In that situation I need access to my shield, which doesn't mix well with longbow.

Regardless, my recommendation to all newer players I speak with is to use a sabre instead of a scimitar.

________

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 02:57 PM CDT
After taking CAROLINT's advice and trying a sabre, my scimitars became obsolete in my mind. As a Halfling Warrior Mage (-2 bonus to agility + SUF) the sabre is the obvious winner.

I'd really like to know how to get ahold of a well-balanced sabre. I'd probably not even bother training 2HE up past ME if I did, then I'd pump agility up big time.

Question: Does reflex play defensively off of balance like agility does offensively? Like, do you parry better with a reasonably balanced sabre if you have more reflex?

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 02:59 PM CDT
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention, for WMs, a SD right before the lunge will not only provide a really good shot against what you're facing, but you can then thrust before the critters become unstunned, and have another SD ready to go before your next lunge. Can run through an at-level swarm like this easily.

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 02:59 PM CDT
>>I'd really like to know how to get ahold of a well-balanced sabre. I'd probably not even bother training 2HE up past ME if I did, then I'd pump agility up big time.

I'm not sure if well balanced sabres can be made without glaes. If that is the case expect a super long wait to see one go on sale and expect to pay mega plats.

>>Question: Does reflex play defensively off of balance like agility does offensively? Like, do you parry better with a reasonably balanced sabre if you have more reflex?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. In my mind I always believe I'm blocking and parrying better due to my high reflexes. I think the balance of my sabre only makes me parry/block that much better compared to folks who use regular weapons.

-Galren Moonskin

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:02 PM CDT
Galren, can I ask you, is that glaes sabre still heavy puncture and well balanced, or is it great puncture/well balanced. If so, do you have any need for an additional soul? :)

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:05 PM CDT
Parry is based off of Reflex first, Agility second. Higher balances make better use of your Agility, thus allowing you to Parry better. At least that's my understanding of it - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Higher Reflex will also indirectly benefit Parry by increasing your ability to Evade, therefore lessening the amount of the attack that matches up against Parry, therefore making the Parry seem more effective.

I'd highly encourage anyone who has the means to get a Well sabre. Widow-making instrument of death and destruction it is.

________

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:06 PM CDT
I need a piece of glaes. :(

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:10 PM CDT
The balance of the weapon is a large factor in parry ability.

Also, 2he for a halfling is just silly, even if you train it to minimum RT, you'd be better served with a well balanced weapon.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:12 PM CDT
>I'm not sure if well balanced sabres can be made without glaes. If that is the case expect a super long wait to see one go on sale and expect to pay mega plats.

Sabres can only hit Reasonable balance with normal metals; it requires at least Damite to hit Well balance.

Damite < Glaes < Kertig

The well balanced sabres, if made correctly, are G/L/P W/F Mod Strong. I haven't weighed mine lately, but if I remember right it's 24 stones. I've seen one at 29 stones that's G/L/L R/F, also.

As far as the cost, expect to pay at least 2500 plats, if not more nowadays. It seems these things are getting rarer and rarer lately. Mine is bonded, so don't even bother asking.

________

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:13 PM CDT
>Also, 2he for a halfling is just silly, even if you train it to minimum RT, you'd be better served with a well balanced weapon.

I'll never argue with the second part, but the first part of that statement is going to need a pretty damn thorough explanation.

________

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:25 PM CDT
>I'll never argue with the second part, but the first part of that statement is going to need a pretty damn thorough explanation.

It is silly to me to train a weapon that you won't be able to utilize well due to racial penalties. Just like a Gor'tog with a dagger. I mean, eventually you'll be doing serious damage with any weapon, but... well here's my Halfling thief at 56th circle:

Strength : 16 Reflex : 38
Agility : 47 Charisma : 30
Discipline : 25 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 30

He is a monster with LE and LT (and brawling with brawling weapons).

Also, the image of a Halfling with a claymore is just ridiculous.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 03:50 PM CDT
>It is silly to me to train a weapon that you won't be able to utilize well due to racial penalties. Just like a Gor'tog with a dagger.

You'll have the same issues with any weapon if you train according to racial penalties. You're high on agility, low on strength. A relatively lightweight bastard sword in 2he is r/r. You'll hit fine, just not as hard. Same with a W/P dagger. You'll hit fine, just not as hard.

>I mean, eventually you'll be doing serious damage with any weapon

This is true. Still, weapons that deal more damage will always deal more damage, so I'd never discourage anyone from using 2he based on race.
________

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 04:04 PM CDT
My 36 stone bastard sword has better slice (severe) than my sabre does puncture (heavy) and is more into the reasonable range for balance than the sabre. Add better suited to strength, and well constructed. 2HE > ME for a Halfling. Claymore is not the end all be all of 2HE.

Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 05:30 PM CDT
>You'll have the same issues with any weapon if you train according to racial penalties. You're high on agility, low on strength.

Obviously, my point is that an imbalanced character can be quite effective.

>2HE > ME for a Halfling.

Just because you tell yourself that, it doesn't make it true. Sure, it does more slice damage, but by training agility high you will be able to both do more damage as well as hit targets you otherwise wouldn't be able to. You will sacrifice a lot of TDPs to train strength that would be better served in other stats.

Honestly, halflings are just about the worst choice for training 2he (right after gnomes). Is it impossible? No. It just makes you waste TDPs... (You aren't really taking advantage of the strength suitedness.)

Also, since halflings have a discipline penalty, it makes sense to overtrain agility to help compensate in TM contests. But if you want to play a halfling on steroids, have fun. Just don't kid yourself that it is the most effective strategy from a min-max perspective.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/26/2007 10:10 PM CDT
>Just because you tell yourself that, it doesn't make it true.

JMF. Let me see if I can get you to show me exactly how my bastard sword is worse than my sabre.

>comp sword to sab
You are certain that the bastard sword is stronger than the sabre.
You are certain that the bastard sword is a little more balanced than the sabre.

Perhaps you can show me where my thinking strays. I knows I donts alwers play da game two gud, but I thought I had a good enough grasp to understand what "the bastard sword is a little more balanced than the sabre" meant. Please. Enlighten me, Oh Wise Teacher.

I'll mention (again) that I'm getting minimum RT with the bastard sword.

The System Is Broken Deal With It (Was: Fogot how to use a Sabre!!) 10/27/2007 05:14 AM CDT
Sabre has a lower minimum RT than the bastard sword.

LE > other weapons because LE has lowest roundtime
ME > other weapons because it has lower roundtime than most and better stats than LE
HE > better than other weapons because it has better stats than most one-handers
2HE > better than other weapons because it has better stats

There's an argument for each weapon type. In practice, it comes down to 2HE winning because stats are just that important. For reference, also see:

everything > short staff
everything > LE
everything > LB
everything > sling
everything > QS
etc.

The giant 'weapons and armor rewrite' that was supposedly happening two years ago was supposed to address this. Instead, more and more things have come out to hedge out the less advantageous weapons (arm-worn shields is a big example).

Unfortunately, given the nature of the bureaucratic beast that is DR development and the sheer logistical issue of removing every single weapon in the game and replacing it with a New Weapon Rewrite Equivalent, let alone the player outcry, is just... not going to happen. The planning and balancing is the easy part, believe it or not.

Here, let me show you. Divide weapons into general categories, using the existing obvious categories as a basis and with the unusual outliers either in seperate categories or in existing categories, as appropriate.

Current categories below --
Edged weapons - LE, ME, HE, 2HE
Blunt weapons - LB, MB, HB, 2HB
Bows - SB, LB, CB
Crossbows - LX, HX
Thrown - LT, HT
Staves - SS, QS
Polearms - Pike, Halberd
Slings - Slings, Staff Slings

Some people lump QS, SS, pike, and halberd as one 'weapon group', but they don't share enough characteristics in my opinion.

You can condense the above and group the weapons more closely, like so:

Edged weapons - LE, ME, HE, 2HE, pike, halberd
Blunt weapons - LB, MB, HB, 2HB, SS, QS
Thrown, Bows, Crossbows, and Slings as above

Then, you start with some basic considerations. For example, each weapon has a primary damage dealing statistic - scimitars are slicers, daggers are jabbers, pikes are jabbers, blunt weapons are bashers, et cetera. You make a rule: All Weapons That Are Weapons Must Have A Minimum In This Statistic.

Why? Because it prevents the fiasco that currently are short staves and slings, which are barely capable of actually inflicting damage. Any weapon should be usable on the average at any level. If this means starting from moderate puncture/slice/impact and moving upward, so be it.

So you have your minimum weapon values. Any jabber has at least X puncture, any slicer has at least X slice, whatever. Next up, you assign generic category qualities. Something that would look like this:

LE: Fastest RT, good balance, lightweight, terrible impact, poor slice or puncture, poor suitedness
ME: Fast RT, moderate weight, average balance, terrible impact, average slice or puncture, average suitedness
HE: Average RT, moderate-to-heavy weight, poor balance, good slice or puncture, poor impact, good suitedness
2HE: Average RT, heavy weight, average balance, good slice, poor or average impact, good suitedness, two-handed
Pike: Average RT, moderate-to-heavy weight, good-to-great puncture, average impact, poor balance, average suitedness, two-handed
Halberd: Average RT, moderate-to-heavy weight, good-to-great slice, average impact, poor balance, average suitedness, two-handed
Light Blunt: Fastest RT, good balance, lightweight, poor impact, no or terrible slice/puncture, poor suitedness
...etc, etc.

Each category of weapons would have general attributes that would define them, not only relative to other categories but within themselves. I used 'terrible, poor, average, good, and great', with 'poor' representing at least the minimum damage a weapon is allowed to do to be effective at any level, 'terrible' representing a smaller amount of damage than 'poor', and so forth.

I could have gone into much more detail - for example, a one-handed pike would obviously be lighter, less balanced (two hands means more stability), etc.

You set basic values for what exactly 'terrible', 'poor', 'average', etc. mean and then you play with them. A scimitar is a heavier ME than a cutlass, so it's got a bit less balance but a bit more slice, etc.

You differentiate quarterstaff/shortstaff from the other blunt weapons similar to how you differentiate pike and halberd - quarterstaves are two-handed, are better balanced than most blunt weapons, less suited to strength, etc. You can have quarterstaves with piercing tips or slicing edges. A short staff is basically a shorter-type of quarterstaff - the one-handed equivalent, the HE to the 2HE, the rattan stick or jo staff that would be a more balanced, less suited blunt weapon - which is what makes it different than a mace or flail.

For ranged weapons, you find an equivalent and fudge based on advantages/disadvantages of the weapons. Bows can't be used with shields, crossbows have a longer load time but you can wear multiple crossbows, etc,

I'd say create the minimum by which others are judged - the short bow, and apply an equivalency. Ammo is ammo is ammo; arrows and bolts do puncture while slings do impact, but they do equivalent amounts of each (varying by arrowhead, sling bullet, etc). The difference in weapons caters to play style - shield vs no shield, low or high suitedness to strength, etc.

So far, this is all done without adjusting anything other than the weapons themselves. You could complicate things further by specifying details such as "pole-range weapons are bad at melee range" or "crossbows have a higher snap accuracy but gain less from aiming", et cetera.

And so forth, and so forth.

You can see how large an undertaking that would be - every weapon, every forging template, and every shop would have to be changed, as well as coding a method to catch existing weapons and convert them to their equivalent.

All while getting the plan approved by the folks upstairs from you and having everything QCed.

I'm guessing that it will never change, really.
Re: The System Is Broken Deal With It (Was: Fogot how to use a Sabre!!) 10/27/2007 09:33 AM CDT
>>I'm guessing that it will never change, really.

I would say that the odds favor you being wrong, since the "people upstairs" were already behind the weapon rewrite, and that was before Ssra became one of the people upstairs.

Main issue, as so many things in DR development, is that priorities are subject to change. Some things that prove to be massively broken (held mana, for example) jump onto the list from nowhere, and ther things that are on there move up and down as systems work shows other broken things to the light of day.

From what was mentioned by Rottcloar some time back on a system as "simple" as Warrior Mage familiars, that rewrite is going to require major work in most other systems, since there are code fragments local to many systems instead of being calls over to the (what should be) separate familiar subroutines, not to mention the (probably) still needed reorganization of familiar statistics to better match regular creature stats (e.g. familiars do not have a spirit health, that location is used to track something else, as seen by sleeping familiars pulsing pale and back during he spirit health pulse...)

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/27/2007 11:48 AM CDT
>Perhaps you can show me where my thinking strays. I knows I donts alwers play da game two gud, but I thought I had a good enough grasp to understand what "the bastard sword is a little more balanced than the sabre" meant. Please. Enlighten me, Oh Wise Teacher.

No need for all that. If your sabre is less balanced, I would get another ME. Maybe an iltesh or a rapier... something made for balance. I already explained why I think ME or better yet LE would make a better choice (strictly from a min-max perspective) for a halfling. No disrespect intended.
Re: Fogot how to use a Sabre!! 10/27/2007 11:53 AM CDT
Hmm..

You are certain that it could do:
heavy puncture damage
low slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sabre is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

Sorry, nobody's coming off glaes, and I'm not using something with fair puncture that will break when my foe sneezes on it.