Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 05:40 PM CDT
Actually, I want ya'lls advice. What route should I go if I want a fairly good damaging, but primarily parry-efficient medium edged weapon? I'm interested in the best of the best, and I'm hoping to not be afraid to use it for fear of it breaking.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 06:37 PM CDT
I personally would say Xings or Fayrin's rest scim.

But there're ME sabers, which are pretty good on balance.
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 07:19 PM CDT
>>I personally would say Xings or Fayrin's rest scim.

I thought parry was based off of the balance of the weapon? If so, would store bought really supply you with all that you need? I was really hoping on getting something that has a heck of a lot of weapon balance and a heck of a lot of construction. I'm including special metal weapons in my analysis, as I'm looking for a weapon I'm going to keep forever that's far more functional than store-bought weapons.

Or... hmm, I guess the weapons don't make the man, the man makes the weapon, eh? Well, I guess all I really need is a really good balanced ME(at least well balanced I'd take it) with enough damage in order to train it well against creatures.

I'm done worrying about "uber" weapons. Screw it.

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 08:31 PM CDT
I'd suggest this one

You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the iltesh is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the dueling iltesh is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The dueling iltesh is made with metal.
You estimate that the dueling iltesh weighs around 35 stones.
You are certain that the dueling iltesh is worth exactly 10824 dokoras.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

The balance is High end reasonable just a hair shy of well(so I've been told) Puncture is high end mod just shy of Heavy and from my expiernce I can kill just as quick with this blade as I do with my forged scimitar (heavy slice suited for strength). Also its store bought.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 08:33 PM CDT
Ohh really? Where do you buy that?

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 08:38 PM CDT
with parry you are going to want at least mod construction or the bigger baddies are going to eat the thing for lunch.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 08:40 PM CDT
>>with parry you are going to want at least mod construction or the bigger baddies are going to eat the thing for lunch.

Argh! Ok, what balanced weapon can I go for with at least moderate construction?

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 09:35 PM CDT
>>Ohh really? Where do you buy that?

If that's the iltesh I think it is, you'll need to see a trader or perhaps a private seller for one: It's available in the Muspar'i trader shop.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 09:42 PM CDT
I was aiming for construction; I personally don't feel balance is critical enough in the parry equation to invalidate the scim. Add to this that they're very hardy, and slicers. Unless your agi/reflex is 20 points above your other stats (i.e. absurdly high for your level) you're not really going to see an omg giant difference between ok balance and ultra-high-end balance like you asked about (disclaimer: this is me speaking purely out of personal opinion. No facts back this up and I want to make that clear)

As someone else said, Iltesh is probably your best bet, I forgot about those. Good slice, good puncture, good balance.
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 09:45 PM CDT
I have never had an issue with the iltesh being damaged but if it is a big deal to you then here ya go

A curved steel iltesh with an ironwood pommel carved into the shape of a leaf is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
moderate slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the iltesh is reasonably balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the steel iltesh is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The steel iltesh is made with metal.
You are certain that the steel iltesh weighs around 30 stones.
You are certain that the steel iltesh is worth exactly 40590 dokoras.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
>

This iltesh was sold at a fest in Theren so it'll be a bit harder to get your hands on.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/24/2007 09:50 PM CDT
Hmm, guess I'll have to start looking for one of those ilteshes, then. Either that or a forged sabre.

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/25/2007 09:47 AM CDT
18 stone forged sabre ground only for balance. Should be at least Mod Strong if not Well Constructed and have mid range Reasonable balance.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/28/2007 06:32 PM CDT
<<18 stone forged sabre ground only for balance. Should be at least Mod Strong if not Well Constructed and have mid range Reasonable balance.>>

CAROLINT is correct, although we can now make these at 17 stones:

A sabre is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

moderate puncture damage
poor slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sabre is reasonably balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the sabre is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The sabre is made with metal.
You are certain that the sabre weighs exactly 17 stones.

For its weight, this is an amazingly strong weapon. You can order this blade and more at http://www.thedragonsegg.net/

-Savage Gash Breaknow
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/28/2007 06:47 PM CDT
Hey Gash, are you pretty good at forging ME's? Might I be able to hook up with you sometime to get a custom blade?

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/28/2007 07:35 PM CDT
At 17 stones that's below 3 density metal for a sabre. Are we sure that's not a bug? Are these 17 stone sabres going to get heavier magically a la the 170ish stone hauberks?

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/28/2007 08:23 PM CDT
I'm really not interested in a light Medium Edge--in fact, what parts of the weapon are capable of raising if you add more weight to it?

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/28/2007 10:04 PM CDT
It's always a trade off. You add weight, and you start grinding to puncture, slice, or balance, and you start losing construction. There's no uber l/h/p r/r well constructed scimitars available to my knowledge.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/30/2007 04:19 AM CDT
<<At 17 stones that's below 3 density metal for a sabre. Are we sure that's not a bug? Are these 17 stone sabres going to get heavier magically a la the 170ish stone hauberks? ~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor>>

You are quite right, Hanryu - it is below the 3.0 sps (stones per slug) density. However, should the GMs choose to correct this, your sabre will then weigh 18 stones, not quite the jump in weight that the 170-stone hauberks made. I might also point out that the 34-stone bone-crushing slice claymores are also below the 3.0 sps "guideline" and they are still around as well.

When folks hear what GM Oolan has planned for the new Forging system, I think you'll agree that they have more important things to work on than tweaking blades by 1-4 stones in weight.

- Savage Gash Breaknow
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/30/2007 04:25 AM CDT
<<Hey Gash, are you pretty good at forging ME's? Might I be able to hook up with you sometime to get a custom blade?>>

Leilond, I do in fact make good quality ME weapons (even ones that don't generate fits of outrage and animosity toward inanimate objects). Please look for me in game on or around Ratha.

- Savage Gash Breaknow
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/30/2007 05:12 AM CDT
Will do, I will come find you within the next few days.

__
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/30/2007 08:58 AM CDT
>I'm really not interested in a light Medium Edge--in fact, what parts of the weapon are capable of raising if you add more weight to it?

Scimitar damage with normal metals caps at Heavy slice and Low impact. You can get that with Fair balance in the low and mid 30 stones. The construction at that point is Fairly Sturdy. Above that you can increase the Suitedness and decrease the Balance, but the damage classifications won't go above p/h/l. Sabres it's the same thing with more Balance - I think they hit h/l/l.

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Parry-strong Medium Edges 07/30/2007 04:10 PM CDT
> When folks hear what GM Oolan has planned for the new Forging system, I think you'll agree that they have more important things to work on than tweaking blades by 1-4 stones in weight.

I totally agree with you. I was just wondering if whatever mechanic that was nerfing the hauberks was also working on weapons or not. Thanks for the info.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls