Strength 11/22/2004 03:27 PM CST
What would be a good strength to train up to in order to use a ME well? Does it make sense to train more str than is needed to get the min rt on a weapon? How does the weapon's suitability to strength work into this, and how does that in turn factor with agility?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm a gnome and it's pretty tough getting that strength up there, but I like to fight melee. I'm currently using a normal scimitar. Thanks

Durt

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: Strength 11/22/2004 03:32 PM CST
If you can afford to purchase a 18-stone scimitar (prescious sells mendasity-made for around 10 plats). 20 strength, and 25-30 agility will allow you to swing it well, and it still packs the same punch as a storebought scimitar.

Gnome Extraordinaire
Re: Strength 11/22/2004 05:00 PM CST
And I'm under the impression that the storebought scimitars are pretty good?

> I see dead people...<

Vote for Pedro
Re: Strength 11/23/2004 06:29 AM CST
>And I'm under the impression that the storebought scimitars are pretty good?

Yeah, they are good MEs. But I think what the other fella is saying is you can get a similar weapon that weighs less if it is forged.

If you don't want to invest so much in Strength (I can understand that), I have a meat cleaver you can have that weighs 12 stones. Listed below is it's apps. I'm hanging out around Riverhaven; if I see you around the crate again or somewhere, let me know.

A meat cleaver is a medium edged type weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
fair slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the cleaver is poorly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the meat cleaver is somewhat flimsy, and is in pristine condition.

The meat cleaver is made with metal.
You are certain that the meat cleaver weighs exactly 12 stones.
You are certain that the meat cleaver is worth exactly 300 lirums, 375 kronars, or 270 dokoras.

Gidske
Agility v. Strength 05/31/2011 03:33 PM CDT
Hello,

I don't read the forums too much so I apologize if this has been answered but. From what I understand, weapons can be more suited to strength or balance. For medium edge this is something like a scimitar v. a rapier, right? I'm a ranger and my weapons are long bow and medium edge (scimitar currently).

As a ranger, agility is very helpful. Helps in almost all survival type skills. It also helps in aiming bow from what I understand. The biggest reason to train strength (that I see) is burden and increasing scimitar damage. Does it make sense for me to instead, switch to a rapier and just focus on training agility?

Really, my question is, as a ranger, how should I train strength and agility and if I use longbow and medium edge, what type of medium edge weapon should I use. Thanks,

-Tiruuns
Re: Agility v. Strength 05/31/2011 04:55 PM CDT
FWIW I think you're ultimately shooting yourself in the foot if you neglect any of your stats to a large degree.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Agility v. Strength 05/31/2011 07:37 PM CDT
>>FWIW I think you're ultimately shooting yourself in the foot if you neglect any of your stats to a large degree.

^^ This brings a lot of backing with it.

However, keep in mind that strength is also heavily used in mining, swimming, climbing, etc. After playing several caster types, I've leaned to training my agility higher than my strength, as TM is also highly dependent on agility. This may differ with other classes, such as a paladin or barbarian. However, I don't neglect training strength. I just train it at a slower pace.

The race you play has a large effect on how desirable some stats will be to train, like my gnomish necro. He trains the crap out of reflex, agility, disc, and int. Being a gnome survival prime, this makes hunting difficult as his low strength limits how hard he can hit, what he can climb/swim, how many skins he can carry, what armors he can wear, etc. But since his weapons/armors are tert skills, high agility will be more beneficial to him in the long run. As a ranger, I would probably train strength a bit more than I do now, but still make agility the primary of my two stats. Part of being a ranger is the ability to use a ranged weapon well, at least in my opinion. If you want, you could probably skimp on int/wis/cha a little and be fine.

As for a weapon choice, ME works fine, I'd prefer a scim over a rapier, as damage types differ. For a general rule of thumb, puncture < slicing < impact unless you're a thief or fighting something with resistance. If you were to train agi/strength fairly equally, you could actually train HE just fine and have reduced RT's pretty early. It would be worth the extra damage for the same speed as the scimitar, you just may or may not be able to parry as effectively because heavier weapons tend to be less balanced.
Re: Agility v. Strength 05/31/2011 09:05 PM CDT
In new combat Strength will modify the fatigue cost of attacks as well.

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Agility v. Strength 05/31/2011 09:11 PM CDT
>>In new combat Strength will modify the fatigue cost of attacks as well.

Hmm, I thought this was already in the game.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com