Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/24/2016 03:58 PM CST
I've been trying to figure out, from an absolute min/max standpoint, does the large/heavy weapon category offer anything in current DR? Don't small weapons have almost the same stats, but swing a few seconds faster? And don't 2he weapons swing at almost the same speed but have disgustingly high stats?
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/24/2016 04:01 PM CST
>>Badgopher: I've been trying to figure out, from an absolute min/max standpoint, does the large/heavy weapon category offer anything in current DR? Don't small weapons have almost the same stats, but swing a few seconds faster? And don't 2he weapons swing at almost the same speed but have disgustingly high stats?

In theory, the lack of an offensive/defensive penalty for using a two-handed edged weapon or blunt with a worn shield. In practice, I don't know that the penalty is severe enough that people would sacrifice damage to avoid it.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 03:57 PM CST
As a LE prime, in current DR I regret not being 2HE prime. Pound for Pound it's too much weaker then 2HE, and too much slower then SE. The Sterak Axe pattern helps but it just cannot compete with either extreme at max.

Samsaren
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 04:59 PM CST
It seems like the usefulness of LE was greatly diminished when arm-worn shields were introduced to the game. Their niche used to be that they were the largest and heaviest edged weapons one could wield while holding a shield. However, even though there is a penalty on both sides for 2HE (25% defensive reduction due to arm wearing a shield, and offensive penalty for using a two handed weapon with an arm-worn shield) it seems anecdotally negligible. I haven't played much mid-late game, so anyone else can feel free to weigh in there, but I have recently brought a character from almost every guild to circle 10-12. For every one of them, no matter the weapon used, arm-wearing a shield has been the most effective defense, and has been enough to protect me when hunting at level.

All this puts LE into a category filled with Brigandine Armor. Min-maxing is effective. You either want to minimize RT, or maximize damage. LE shares the RT tables with 2HE, and does considerably more damage. So, even though it requires more strength to get there, once you are minimizing the RT, 2HE does considerably more damage. SE is on a separate RT table, which LE/2HE can't match, so they will always have the potential to swing quicker.

Not to mention the convenience of an arm-worn shield. I can wield a 2 handed weapon in one hand, have plenty of shield defense still, swing that weapon, mix in off-hand brawling attacks or shield slams, skin and auto-bundle, pick up boxes and gems, etc.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 05:12 PM CST
As a primary small edge user I don't know of any time I would choose SE over 2HE if I had my 2HE skill trained up. A lightweight 2HE is going to be almost as fast as a SE with much more damage. A heavy 2HE is only a little slower with a LOT more damage.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 05:14 PM CST
The perk of a smaller weapon is supposed to be balance.

But...yeah, it's not really much of a perk at present.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 06:23 PM CST
> I can wield a 2 handed weapon in one hand, have plenty of shield defense still, swing that weapon, mix in off-hand brawling attacks or shield slams, skin and auto-bundle, pick up boxes and gems, etc.

You cannot do offhand brawling moves and you cannot slam with a arm-worn shield. Other than that you are correct though.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 06:41 PM CST
>slam left
< You slam a targe at a musk hog. A musk hog fails to evade. The targe lands a devastating hit (That'll leave a mark!) that deeply bruises the right thigh.
[You're slightly off balance with opponent in strong position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]

>glance
You glance down to see a glaes shh'oi'ata (2HE) with a tempered blade in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.

>punch left
< You punch your armor-clad fist at a musk hog. A musk hog fails to evade. The fist lands an apocalyptic strike (So that's what it felt like when Grazhir shattered!) that shatters the left elbow and renders the lower left arm useless.
The musk hog falls to the ground and lies still.
[You're nimbly balanced]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

Vote:
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/25/2016 07:18 PM CST
Brawling doesn't have handedness. I.e. you can brawl with any hand but by the same token doesn't teach offhand since there's no hand to be considered off with.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 04:20 PM CST
>shatters the left elbow and renders the lower left arm useless.

You are actually targeting left with the brawling move, not hitting with your left hand.

I can't slam with an arm worn shield. Tried it before posting. Maybe size of shield or your profession is in play?

Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 04:24 PM CST
Okay, I was using the wrong command and you are correct. You can now slam with arm worn shield. Mea culpa.

>Update: "You can now SLAM with arm-worn shields in combat as if you were holding it in your left hand."-Ssra 09/08/15

Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 04:30 PM CST
I was punching left with a 2he in my right hand. Both shield slam and offhand brawling are doable while wielding a 2he in your right hand, you just don't get any experience for brawling except with your dominant hand.

Vote:
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 04:40 PM CST
I think you mean you don't learn offhand weapon skill when brawling with your left hand? I learn brawling just fine. In fact 99% of my brawling attacks are made from my left had while still holding a weapon in my right hand. A favorite of mine is to train crossbows and brawling at the same time, since you can brawl with your left hand while aiming (you can even target a spell all at the same time too), so it gives me something else to do (train) during the 10 second aim time.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 06:36 PM CST
Here's a test. Holding any weapon, at all, issue a "punch left" command. You will see that you actually always hit the left side of your target; arm, leg, whatever but it's always the left side you hit. This tells you that you are targeting the left side of your enemy and not using your left hand which would train offhand. In this instance wielding a two hander should give you a clue. Now try it with a one hander...same result. All weapons allow you to throw in a brawling move like punch, gouge, etc. to teach brawling regardless of if there is a weapon in the hand or not.

That's all I meant.

Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 06:52 PM CST
>glance
You glance down to see a threefold staff (2HB) in your right hand and nothing in your left hand.
>punch
< You punch your armor-clad fist at a black ape. A black ape fails to evade. The fist lands a solid hit to the ape's left arm.
[You're nimbly balanced and in good position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
R>punch left
< You punch your armor-clad fist at a black ape. A black ape badly fails to parry with an old bone. The fist lands a good strike to the ape's left leg.
[You're adeptly balanced and in very strong position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
R>punch right
< You punch your armor-clad fist at a black ape. A black ape attempts to dodge. The fist lands a solid hit to the ape's neck.
[You're nimbly balanced and in strong position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

As an aside, you may miss the right or left side with a targeted strike at the target and still hit but you are using the right hand (not offhand) to do the attack as brawling only accounts for one hand, foot, knee, elbow etc. It does not distinguish between left and right attacker body parts. Hence, it doesn't train offhand and it doesn't use offhand skill to offset brawling like when using a weapon either based on my testing.

Just trying to clarify that it's not really anything special for HE vs 2HE. It's across the board available no matter what weapon you are holding.

Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/26/2016 11:23 PM CST
3.0 brawling completely ignores hands, I don't think the brawling code even knows DR tracks hands. You can punch while holding a weapon in your right hand, in your left hand, in both hands, holding a shield, two shields, a backpack, your forging hammer and tongs, a martini, with useless wounds on both hands....

All the situations that weapon verbs ask if you wouldn't rather try to do that with a weapon, punching (or brawling in general) goes ahead and punches.

Meh?
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/27/2016 11:54 PM CST
It probably has something to do with the old brawling system (when you had to go into brawl mode). I assume the brawling code/system is completely different than weapon based system so the code is entirely different. Brawling hasn't even been touched in.......how long? It is a very old system of coding.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/28/2016 06:28 AM CST
>> Brawling hasn't even been touched in.......how long? It is a very old system of coding.

Since the 3.0 conversion when all of combat was rewritten.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 01/28/2016 11:43 AM CST
>> Brawling hasn't even been touched in.......how long? It is a very old system of coding.

>Since the 3.0 conversion when all of combat was rewritten.

Yeah, every brawling verb was updated along with the rest. Previously all combat verbs would check your hands to see if you had a weapon. If you did not have a weapon, it would execute a brawling attack if it was a valid verb (Jab, chop, slam and a few others were valid brawling attacks), if you had something like a pie you wouldn't be able to do anything (except maybe kick? I can't remember). 3.0 restricted brawling to the pure brawling verbs as part of the updates and rebalancing of all the combat verbs.

The weirdness that is brawling weapons wasn't touched.

The changes made parry sticks less useful and sometimes I miss unarmed jab and slam, but overall 3.0 is just such a nicer system.

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/01/2016 02:12 PM CST
QoL request for 2016:

Bring Balance to well Balance.
>The perk of a smaller weapon is supposed to be balance.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/02/2016 05:17 AM CST
>>Bring Balance to well Balance.

It has a perk, bonus accuracy. Accuracy bonuses damage up to a reasonable point. If we all didn't underhunt 24/7 we'd collectively notice it a lot more.

Samsaren
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/02/2016 09:19 AM CST
>>It has a perk, bonus accuracy. Accuracy bonuses damage up to a reasonable point. If we all didn't underhunt 24/7 we'd collectively notice it a lot more.

I thought this was something that went away with 3.0? Unless I'm misunderstanding either 3.0, or what you're saying. My understanding has been that now, accuracy is only that, your chance to hit, and does not directly affect the damage of your hits.

Although, if that is in fact true, since you mention under-hunting maybe this is what you mean; you would do more damage over time with a more accurate weapon because presumably a less accurate weapon will be missing more often.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/02/2016 10:32 AM CST
>>I thought this was something that went away with 3.0?

The degree to which accuracy boosts damage was significantly decreased in 3.0, but extra accuracy still gives a bit of extra damage.
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/02/2016 01:32 PM CST
>>The degree to which accuracy boosts damage was significantly decreased in 3.0, but extra accuracy still gives a bit of extra damage.

That, and the higher the balance of the weapon the higher the chance to recover from a fumble roll. Balance does stuff, however stacking balance and agility will no longer allow you to land apoc strikes vs damite plate with a knitting needle, no.

Samsaren
Re: Min/max value of Heavy vs. 2he 02/02/2016 01:40 PM CST
Which is a bit of a shame, since I feel like that made lower damage, higher balance weapons a lot less appealing in an age where everyone has obscene amounts of armor.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs