The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 06:52 AM CST

There's no high balance one. A 2hb or 2he can reach pretty muchthe same or higher balance as an HE, and MEs can easily reach several ratings higher balance while stillhaving a template that is comparable in slice damage. As a user of HE and ME, I have mostly dropped HE in favor of ME. I just don't really see where HE fits in, I suppose. Slightly higher damage for the trade of having no templates that reach the higher balance appraisals? Is that actually something people are going to consider worth it in 3.0?
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 08:12 AM CST
According to Caraamon's weapon page on the pedia,

abassi / cinqueda / dagasse / namkomba - 10/7/4 6/7 (puncture/slice/impact balance/suitedness) at 50 stones

That has a 34 total point value which is 4 points above medium edge. Re-arrange those weapon stats to what you have in mind--I am curious what your ideal heavy edge weapon looks like.

Keep in mind two-handed weapons have a much higher total point value because they require two hands to wield which has its own set of drawbacks.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 08:27 AM CST
>>I just don't really see where HE fits in, I suppose.

HE's niche is for suitedness to strength.

Sure, you wont find a HE with as high balance as you can in ME templates, but you also won't find a ME that out damages this when it hits:

A haralun battle axe is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
dismal puncture damage
very great slice damage
great impact damage

You are certain that the axe is dismally balanced and is superbly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 09:25 AM CST
look only at maximum weight steel items:

ME
rapier - 29
scimitar - 30
sabre - 29
cutlass - 32

HE
broadsword - 32
longsword - 31
cinqueda - 34
battle axe - 34

Adding up points is fun! I would say just going by the adding points method ME rivals HE pretty well, specially when one template the cutlass, beats one of the HE templates and ties another one. Is the benefit worth the extra RT etc?

Disclaimer: appraisal ranges are ranges so it could be that the broadsword/longsword is closer to the top end of several of those rangers while the cutlass is at the bottom of its ranges created an "unseen" gap.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 10:19 AM CST
2HE:

Bastard sword: 40
Broadaxe: 40
Claymore: 45
Greatsword: 55

This is my current problem with combat system, actually. Assuming equal roundtimes, why use anything else? I can see ignoring the greatsword because the non-existent balance would make parrying difficult, but there is no reason to use any value below 40 (right now).
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 10:28 AM CST
Nerf the cutlass IMO.

~Leilond
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 10:31 AM CST
>>I can see ignoring the greatsword because the non-existent balance would make parrying difficult, but there is no reason to use any value below 40 (right now).

There is no drawback to using two-handed weapons right now. Everyone can just strap on an arm-worn shield and it doesn't matter because you get to use all of your shield ranks.

This is one of the proposed downsides to using two-handed weapons in the new system--A penalty to the shield skill.

~Leilond
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 10:54 AM CST
>>Nerf the cutlass IMO.

You can't nerf pirates.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 12:17 PM CST
>>Nerf the cutlass IMO.

You stay away from my cutlass. If anything needs nerfed its your Mirror blade - nerf Lielond.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/20/2011 12:40 PM CST
>>2HE:
>>Bastard sword: 40
>>Broadaxe: 40
>>Claymore: 45
>>Greatsword: 55

You missed the ignorat axe. btw I love this weapon.

ignorat axe: 47

It's one of those undervalued gems, most impact of any of the 2HE's

Also the bastard sword and broadaxe are exactly the same template with different name.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/21/2011 07:43 AM CST

>>Re-arrange those weapon stats to what you have in mind

Umm wat? I don't get it.

ME has a template that is probably going to slice about as hard as HE. It has a different template that reaches the second highest tier of balance at very high puncture on tyrium (rapier). Making it more diverse than HE.

I don't think I understand the reasoning behind comparing total point values...? It isn't like you can just shift those point values around at will, the templates force you to distribute them a certain way. You're making weapons like the Nimsha or the Cinqueda Leilond posted seem quite a bit better than they actually are, as you (or at least I) won't ever use the 6-8 puncture/slash damage I'm getting on it. Maybe in 3.0 that will change...but uhh, who knows when or if that's really happening at this point?
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/21/2011 08:17 AM CST
>>Re-arrange those weapon stats to what you have in mind
>>Umm wat? I don't get it.

It's easy. The best Heavy Edge template nets you 34 total points. These 34 points are spread out among the 5 weapon stats--Puncture, Slice, Impact, Balance and Suitedness.

That Cinqueda template looks like 10/7/4 6/7. I'm asking you to re-distribute those 34 points to the ideal template you're thinking of for a Heavy Edge weapon. Maybe you take away 4 puncture and add it on top of slice, you tell me. I just don't have a clear picture of what you're asking for and would like to see it represented in your ideal HE template.

~Leilond
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/22/2011 08:11 AM CST

????

The problem isn't that their isn't a such thing as a high balanced Heavy Edge weapon, its that people don't sell them. Also for the most part those high-balance heavy edges have stats like a medium edges and lightened from their original template, to the point they fall into the range of... well non-lightened medium edges.

cinquedaheavy/fair/poor reasonably/fairly 29 stones

nimsha fair/s.heavy/s.fair reasonably/fairly 29 stones

pulled off of caraamon's site on epedia.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon

Also always ask a local forger first if you can't find what your looking for, they might be able to do what you want its just not something thats ever sold.

Like specific weights which are not usually up on the market.

P.S. somehow my keys stuck and it submitted the post before I was done, deleting the old post.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/22/2011 02:58 PM CST
>>The problem isn't that their isn't a such thing as a high balanced Heavy Edge weapon, its that people don't sell them.

Eh I sell them, they don't move that well though. Tiddeggur carries them for me in Crossing, I make a reasonably balanced great slice broadsword and a fair/heavy/fair soundly balanced nimsha. (under rated weapon) I don't have a Cinq out there yet but it's on my todo list. I have to update my page below - its been awhile.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/29/2011 01:57 PM CST
>>It's easy. The best Heavy Edge template nets you 34 total points. These 34 points are spread out among the 5 weapon stats--Puncture, Slice, Impact, Balance and Suitedness.

Oh, that is easy!

Something like the foil is what I would like to see. Or the Nimsha with a little less puncture and a little more slice. So the two I'd like I guess are:

say 12/3/6 10/3
and 4/11/6 7/5

I guess since I have ME and HB trained HE is really marginalized for me. HB hits harder (offers a harder hitting better balance alternative too) and ME can achieve similar slice weapons but also offers the foil in case I run up against something absurdly hard to hit. Maybe that means I'm just in a unique spot where HE seems cruddy.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/29/2011 07:17 PM CST

so...

v.great/low/s.mod excellently/poor

and

s.fair/great/s.mod reasonably/fair

Second one is reasonable... sorta, except that your getting 3 more points, the best HE template is actually 31 not 34 points. so knock some off.

The first one... yeah thats not even a feasible weapon in make thats not a spear. No sword or axe-like weapon will have that much puncture with that low a slice. thats basically a spike at the end of a pole, which we have halberds and spears for that kinda thing.

Balance on the thing is way too high, also 3 points over again.

I went through all the templates on Caraamon's site <3 and they all are 31 points unweighted. The act of removing or increasing weight is supposed to help steer the balance/suit of the weapon. It does have aside effect of increasing or decreasing its overall point total but their should never be a 7 volume lead-weighted weapon thats excellent balance, and I do mean never.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/30/2011 11:40 AM CST
I can't tell if you are referring to game balance or trying to apply real world logic to DR. If it's the latter, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The best HE template I see on elanthipedia is Codiax's 52 stone broadsword, which I imagine is haralun. It has 34 total value.

I'd be happy with HE having a template that can reach 10 balance and great or higher puncture or slice. A foil can reach Very Heavy puncture and 11 balance with special metals.

>> The act of removing or increasing weight is supposed to help steer the balance/suit of the weapon. It does have aside effect of increasing or decreasing its overall point total but their should never be a 7 volume lead-weighted weapon thats excellent balance, and I do mean never.

I don't really understand what you're saying here. Lowering density decreases weight and damage stats but gains balance. If you're talking about honing, you trade some weight for impact. No clue what you're on about with the "lead-weighted" weapon business.

Anyway, I've made my complaint. The new weapon templates caused me to drop HE. Maybe in 3.0 there will be some reason to use a falchion, which is a nifty template (doubt it though, the new armors are all stacked on slice protection, making a blunt weapon an easy choice).
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/30/2011 11:52 AM CST
>>doubt it though, the new armors are all stacked on slice protection, making a blunt weapon an easy choice

I think this might not be the case once people see more than metal armors in crafting 3.0. I also think heavier weapons are also going to benefit from being bigger and heavier in 3.0. It wouldn't shock me if someone using shield to block your 100 stone club will have a totally difference experience than if you were using your 10 stone dagger.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/30/2011 05:55 PM CST
>I think this might not be the case once people see more than metal armors in crafting 3.0. I also think heavier weapons are also going to benefit from being bigger and heavier in 3.0. It wouldn't shock me if someone using shield to block your 100 stone club will have a totally difference experience than if you were using your 10 stone dagger.

You mean the old force of impact idea? Will there be something like that in 3.0?

>exp magic

Inner Magic: 346 28% Sparkling!(35/34)

You search the orc raider.
The raider was carrying a brown paper-wrapped package! UPS Delivers.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/30/2011 06:08 PM CST
>>You mean the old force of impact idea? Will there be something like that in 3.0?

Yeah.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Combat_3.0#Stuns
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 12/30/2011 06:22 PM CST
>>The best HE template I see on elanthipedia is Codiax's 52 stone broadsword, which I imagine is haralun. It has 34 total value.

Again in order for a steel broadsword to be 52 stones it had to be mixed with another metal to increase the density, the heavier the end product is relative to the 5 density stand, the less the balance and the greater the suitedness. For weapon like a broadsword to have reasonable balance(not even the point where your asking it) at 52 stones it would have to have unbelievable balance at 35. If you can't see how that completely utterly breaks game balance of weapons then it'd be obvious that you cannot reach a suitable and balanced(gamewise) adjustment to the HE template that would satisfy you.

>>> The act of removing or increasing weight is supposed to help steer the balance/suit of the weapon. It does have aside effect of increasing or decreasing its overall point total but their should never be a 7 volume lead-weighted weapon thats excellent balance, and I do mean never.

>I don't really understand what you're saying here. Lowering density decreases weight and damage stats but gains balance. If you're talking about honing, you trade some weight for impact. No clue what you're on about with the "lead-weighted" weapon business.

Lead-weighted means that you get steel and you add lead into the mix so that you increase its overall density, like I've said previously and even in this post doing so will decrease its balance and increase its suitedness it will also increase the overall total points given to the template. If it sounds like I'm talking chinese here let me know I'll try to dumb it down abit.

You cannot base a template for a weapon on a superweapon. 5 is the standard density, steel is the standard metal. At HCS 5 density all templates are 31, this is your base. If you wish to have increased balance you reduce the density below the base, if you want increased damage at the cost of balance you increase the density past the base.

Its proper logic when determining game balance, if you want a 52 stone weapon that has a 35 stone baseweight to have well balance and fair suitedness it has to have at 35 stones, several levels above well balance and no suitedness for strength what so ever, at all.

The first weapon your proposing if that was high-weight rare metal version of it would have unbelieveable balance and no suitedness using hcs at 35 stones. If this makes sense for a HEAVY weapon, I don't know where your logic is coming from.
-John Milton
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 01/02/2012 12:11 AM CST
>>For weapon like a broadsword to have reasonable balance(not even the point where your asking it) at 52 stones it would have to have unbelievable balance at 35.

By making this statement, you are claiming to know for certain the formula for balance in relation to density and volume. I'd like to know what it is if that's the case? I know from having seen rather expensive and extensive testing that it's not a linear relationship. In fact I'm going to go ahead and say that this statement is incorrect under the current system. The templates can be curved so that their is a cap, or at least diminishing returns on changes like lightening and weighting with heavier metals, to their balance and suitedness, along with damage stats.

>>If it sounds like I'm talking chinese here let me know I'll try to dumb it down abit.

You're dumbing it down more than I need already, actually, but you're making some incorrect assumptions while doing so.

>>5 is the standard density, steel is the standard metal.

...umm wat? You're just arbitrarily setting the standard as steel... What does it matter if we're discussing weapon templates as long as the metal isn't variable you can still analyze it perfectly accurately with any metal?

>>Its proper logic when determining game balance, if you want a 52 stone weapon that has a 35 stone baseweight to have well balance and fair suitedness it has to have at 35 stones, several levels above well balance and no suitedness for strength what so ever, at all.

I'd love that to be true (would've saved me a fortune on rare metals), but it ain't. A nimsha at 50 stones has 1 or 2 less balance than a nimsha at 29 stones. Similarly a foil at minimum weight in glaes has 1 higher balance than a foil at maximum weight in haralun. The templates aren't as linear as you're making them out to be. You need to do some testing and reevaluate your blanket statements in the context of how these new templates work. In this current system, it is a reality that some weapon templates basically scale only slightly even with major weight changes. So no, it is not proper logic.
Re: The biggest problem with the current heavy edged templates 01/02/2012 03:41 PM CST
>>5 is the standard density, steel is the standard metal.
>...umm wat? You're just arbitrarily setting the standard as steel... What does it matter if we're discussing weapon templates as long as the metal isn't variable you can still analyze it perfectly accurately with any metal?

Pure steel is considered the baseline because forged steel items are comparable to their store-bought counterparts.

>>>I'd love that to be true (would've saved me a fortune on rare metals), but it ain't. A nimsha at 50 stones has 1 or 2 less balance than a nimsha at 29 stones.

If you are meaning that a nimsha @ 50 stones is (06)decently balanced vs. 29 stone (07)reasonably balanced, the difference could be between 1-19 points of balance between the two weapons.

>>Similarly a foil at minimum weight in glaes has 1 higher balance than a foil at maximum weight in haralun.

Glaes and haralun have completely different densities and is why steel is used as a baseline for comparisons.

>exp magic

Inner Magic: 346 28% Sparkling!(35/34)

You search the orc raider.
The raider was carrying a brown paper-wrapped package! UPS Delivers.