Prev_page Previous 1
HE templates review request :edit: 08/14/2011 09:31 PM CDT
Kodius,

Is there any chance you'd look back at the Heavy Edge templates? As it stands they don't really fill the gap between small and two-handed weapons like they should. At the balance levels Heavy Edges come in, you would be better off using a Two-Handed Edge. As far as puncture weapons, a Heavy Edge puncture weapon is really just comparable to a Medium Edge puncture weapon. I always wanted a forged cinqueda before the system came out, and now I'm wishing I had trained Medium Edge instead.

> squint dragon
You squint at a dragon.
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/14/2011 09:38 PM CDT
Heavy Edge is a step up from Medium Edge. I've seen people run around with a single handed severe slice broadsword. Take into account this is a one handed weapon and may be dual wielded, or may even be used with a held shield and you should be able to see how it is at least fairly balanced comparatively versus a two handed edged weapon.

What sort of damage are you wanting it to do?

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 12:52 AM CDT
I agree with TZimerman. Other than the broadsword template, HE seems pretty much like garbage to me. Medium Edge is only slightly worse, often with better balance. Caraamon informed me that in 3.0 a weapon will do damage based on all of its damage types rather than just 1, which makes the other HE templates more interesting if it's true, although I'm really not sure I won't just prefer a rapier.

Maybe if it had a nicely balanced slicer...I had some nimshas made and was underwhelmed by all of them.
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 01:39 AM CDT
>>Heavy Edge is a step up from Medium Edge.

Not by much. If you compare a similar weight Scimitar and Broadsword, the HE will be just about exactly 1 tier higher on slice damage (for example, 36 stone Hi-C Scim at Very Heavy slice and 35 stone Hi-C Broadsword at Great slice). On the other hand, comparing a similar weight Broadsword and Two-Hand Sword, the 2HE will be 5 tiers higher on slice damage (for example, 44 stone hi-c broadsword at Great slice (just a shade under very great) and a 44 stone hi-c two-hand sword at very extreme slice (just a shade under Mighty)). Even the damage difference between a similar weight Dao and Scimitar is 2 full tiers higher (at 30 stones it is moderate vs heavy), and these are actually going to be the exact same weapon skill at some point.

Definitely seems to me like HE got short changed. I was actually considering stopping selling HE's in my shop because no one ever buys them. I've actually sold more slings than HE's since weaponsmithing came out, that's how sad my broadsword sales are

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Apu
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 02:01 AM CDT
IIRC when combat 3.0 comes out two-handed weapons are going to get very much the short end of the stick when it comes to using shields.

Even if you could use an arm-worn shield with them the weapon(or the shield forgot which) will be severely penalized
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 03:28 AM CDT
>>Even if you could use an arm-worn shield with them the weapon(or the shield forgot which) will be severely penalized

HE and 2HE will be the same skill, though.
Malkien
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 03:48 AM CDT
<<HE and 2HE will be the same skill, though.>>

No, they will not.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 04:02 AM CDT
>>No, they will not.

Yes, they will? Unless something has changed about the skill merger since I have been gone.

Posts like these aren't constructive. Please provide more feedback than 'no.'
Malkien
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 04:17 AM CDT
but he's right. The skill sets for bladed weapons are going to be small blades (LE and ME), heavy blades (HE), and Two handed blades (THE)

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Updated_Skill_List_-_12/11/2010_-_15:45:26

Illimin
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 04:24 AM CDT
> Yes, they will? Unless something has changed about the skill merger since I have been gone.

List of combining skills. 2HE/HE aren't on it:

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Updated_Skill_List_-_12/11/2010_-_15:45:26
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 04:27 AM CDT
Thanks. I searched for that list for about ten minutes on elanthipedia and google to try and confirm, but I couldn't find it.

Malkien
Re: HE templates review request :edit: 08/15/2011 05:44 AM CDT
I fully expect to suffer no penalties wielding two-handed weapons as a Barbarian.

I've avoided HE and only trained it for forging purposes. Now that that reason is gone, I'm not sure if I'll keep training it. I'll have to see a forged HE that totally blows me away compared to the tyrium scimitars floating around.
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 07:40 AM CDT
I doubt anyone has gone through the effort to make a tyrium broadsword.

Though for what its worth, when the skill mergers were announced, I advocated merging HE and ME since they were pretty much similar anyways.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 08:08 AM CDT
>>compared to the tyrium scimitars floating around.

Pretty sure this is what gets DR into the "arm race" that messes everything up.

>>Apu's comparisons

The thing that I have never understood is why you can have an ME and HE that are the same weight!?

Weapon "type" or now their templates should have capped weights on them. It doesn't make any sense to have a 100 stone scimitar. That is not a MEDIUM edged weapon, it's a telephone pole. You don't hold a blade with two hands because it's light.

I think there should be some overlap at the very top/bottom so that you can have swappables. And at that point, the weapon shouldn't be overwhelming on it's "lighter template" and overwhelming on the "heavy one".

I don't know. Seems odd that a you can have a medium edged weapon that weighs more than a 2HE.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 10:13 AM CDT
>>The thing that I have never understood is why you can have an ME and HE that are the same weight!?

>>Weapon "type" or now their templates should have capped weights on them. It doesn't make any sense to have a 100 stone scimitar. That is not a MEDIUM edged weapon, it's a telephone pole. You don't hold a blade with two hands because it's light.

Well each template does effectively have a cap on weight, since they have a set volume and the densities can only range between 3 and 7.5. So the heaviest scimitar you could make with steel would be 37 stones, and the heaviest using a rare metal like kertig or haralun would be 53. Broadswords would have their weights capped at higher values, although the range of which weights are possible has a lot of overlap since Scimitars are 6 volume and Broadswords are only 7.

Apu
_
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 12:38 PM CDT
>each template does effectively have a cap on weight

That makes a great deal of sense. Thank you.

So specifically the volume difference between the largest ME and smallest HE is at the heart of the problem.

Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 12:55 PM CDT
<<I don't know. Seems odd that a you can have a medium edged weapon that weighs more than a 2HE.

Not really. Its all about metal density. A scimitar made out of gold is clearly going to weigh a lot more than a greatsword made out of aluminum. Obviously extreme examples, but they serve to illustrate the point. Related to that, a scimitar made out of the same metal as a broadsword will always weigh less.

-Evran

Moongate, Ressurection, and Fire Rain, Oh my!
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 12:56 PM CDT
IIRC tyrium broadswords have severe slice, mod impact. come out like fair/sound I believe. maybe fair/well. The broadsword template is decent. Seen some haralun and kertig broadswords, they're pretty good either.
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 01:04 PM CDT
I think what really leaves Heavy Edged without a hole to fill is both the special metal MEs we're seeing that are pretty fantastic AND the bump that blunts got. You can forge yourself a pretty brutally hard hitting heavy edged at the moment, it's not going to have much balance. And you can easily get a heavy blunt that has a couple of tiers higher of impact damage with just about the same balance. So if you want balance, you go ME, and if you want damage you go HB and if you want to be cute maybe you go Heavy Edged?
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 01:12 PM CDT
>>So if you want balance, you go ME, and if you want damage you go HB and if you want to be cute maybe you go Heavy Edged?

Or you just use an old forged HE, and you can have high balance with almost as good damage as HB.
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 01:56 PM CDT
and in some cases lighter than an ME
-John Milton
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 01:59 PM CDT
I was assuming this discussion pertained only to new forged HEs, but I have a Haralun morning star with Mighty impact damage (forged back when the density cap wasn't working). Are there really old HEs with slice anywhere near that? Or anywhere near unbelievably suited to strength?
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 02:22 PM CDT
From the data I have, it looks like a 5 density/7 volume ME is "worse" than a 5 density/7 volume HE... so I'm not sure how HE isn't coming out on top.

5d/6v ME: 3/9/4 6/6 OR 9/3/4 7/5
5d/7v ME: 3/7/6 4/7
5d/7v HE: 2/9/6 4/8 OR 2/10/5 5/7
5d/8v HE: 5/8/5 6/6 OR 9/6/3 6/6*

*at 3.8d that would become 9/5/2 7/5... which would essentially be the same weight as the 5d/6v's jabber

If there was a lack of HE templates, I would reference the general lack of [non-swappable] HE or ANY kind of blade with volumes of 10 and 11. HE goes from 7-9, swappable HE/2HE are 8-9, but 2HE doesn't start until 12.

So maybe a 10 volume HE could be necessary.
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 02:44 PM CDT
dunno the red name post... but I"m also fairly sure that the niche HE is supposed to fill is related to the fact that the damage is nearly THE, with the capability of actually using a shield, once they turn that ability off. Broadswords and one handed axes are supposed to much more unwieldy than a scimitar... they're supposed to be the heaviest weapons one can carry and swing effectively with a single hand.

Illimin
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 03:34 PM CDT

>>Or you just use an old forged HE, and you can have high balance with almost as good damage as HB.

What HE are you talking about? The new forged HE's seem better to me than the old ones, they have more impact and more balance on the heavy end.

>>And you can easily get a heavy blunt that has a couple of tiers higher of impact damage with just about the same balance.

When you compare HE and HB you have to remember the HB's throw most of their eggs into the impact basket, while HE throws them into all 3 of the damage categories, You can't expect an HE to have extreme slice AND have decent impact. It would be like extreme slice and poor impact.

With that said i do see the point of the OP, it isn't THAT much different than ME. They are basically just a few points apart damage wise. So I guess I would throw my vote in the hat that HE could stand to use a mild bump in their caps.

>>So maybe a 10 volume HE could be necessary.

I could see this happening as well.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 05:17 PM CDT
Actually as far as Axes go, HE isn't that bad, its better than its ME variant by a good enough margin to warrant it.

The problem with HE is the sword weapons. Which aren't that much greater than their ME equivalent. Using their heaviest weights pulled from Caraamon's list on elanthipedia, personal results may vary.

Example:
HE Battle Axe 56 stone
01- dismal /11- great /10- v.heavy /02- dismally /10- excellently

ME Handaxe 41 stone
03- low / 08- s.heavy /07- moderate /04- inadequately /08- soundly

Compared to:
HE Broadsword 44 stone
02- poor /11- great /06- s.moderate /05- fairly /08- soundly

ME Scimitar 37 stone
03- low /10- v.heavy /05- fair /05- fairly /07- reasonably

The HE stabbers aren't worth mentioning, as at best they only have slightly more slice and higher suitability, but trade in for weight and lower balance.

If you got the strength for it though an HE Axe is actually worth the effort.

-John Milton
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 05:25 PM CDT
What in blue blazes are you all talking about.

Look at this chart. I've hand selected the top end models of each weapon class as according to Caraamon's forging sheet on Elanthipedia.

LE - 2/7/6 4/9 at 31 stones = 28 total point value
ME - 3/10/5 5/7 at 37 stones = 30 total point value
HE - 2/11/6 5/8 at 44 stones = 32 total point value
HE - 10/7/4 6/7 at 50 stones = 34 total point value
HE - 1/11/10 2/10 at 56 stones = 34 total point value
HB - 5/0/15 3/9 at 69 stones = 32 total point value
2HE - 3/19/13 2/12 at 107 stones = 49 total point value

The total point progression scales from 28(LE Dao) to 30(ME Scimitar) to 32(HE Broadsword) to 34(HE Cinqueda) and 34(HE Flachion).

As you can see, between LE and ME is 2 points and between ME and a lightweight HE is 2 points. You can get a heavier HE weapon which has a total point value of 34, which is 4 points over ME. HE actually out-does Heavy Blunt in terms of point total for HB's heaviest weapon the Ukabi. While the Ukabi does have one of its damage values at 15, its total point value is actually less than that of a Cinqueda or Flachion and is on par with a standard broadsword.

Are you seriously comparing HE to 2HE? Let's look at the numbers.

The total point value of the heaviest 2HE I could find is a mere 49. Keep in mind, when using a 2HE in the future your ability to use a shield will be extremely limited. Also take into account that you cannot dual wield with a two handed weapon. So let's say a Barbarian is dual wielding two Flachions. All of a sudden this Barbarian is wielding a total weapon point value of 68 because each Flachion has a total point value of 34.

tl;dr The real issue is that you want Heavy Edge to be like Heavy Blunt and have 0 impact, 5 puncture and 15 slice damage. BUT if you'll remember what Kodius/Dart/Someone-Else said, this kind of damage extreme won't necessarily be as desirable in the new system as they are in the present system.

~Leilond
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 05:27 PM CDT
P.S. by total point value I mean puncture + slice + impact + balance + suitedness.

~Leilond
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 05:48 PM CDT
>>P.S. by total point value I mean puncture + slice + impact + balance + suitedness.<<

This is exactly how I buy my weapons, and offset a little bit by weight. My character doesn't have the strength/stamina/agility to swing the heaviest weapons just yet.

Yesterday I took delivery of a ton of Caraamon's weapons that I'd already been using prior to his discovery of the durability bug. Every weapon was worth every copper I spent... and I spent a few coppers. I now use the new forging HE vice the old one because it's simply better. The same could be said for all the weapons, actually. And the HE is quite a bit better than the ME.

Weapons I took delivery of from Caraamon yesterday include:

LE - Falcata
ME - Scimitar
HE - Broadsword
2HE - Two Handed Sword
LB - Bludgeon
MB - Mace
HB - Heavy Mallet
2HB - Dire Mace
Pike - Pike
Halberd - Khuj
QS - Staff
SS - Nightstick
LT - Bola (x2)
HT - Hhr'ata (x2)
Brawling Gear: Spiked Knuckles, Knee Spikes, Elbow Spikes

Yup, spent a lot of money on them (though not as much as I expected) and yes all of my previous weapons were forged under the old system with the exception of those that couldn't be made at the time. I haven't found a single old system weapon that outperforms the new ones as far as damage output.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: (no subject) 08/15/2011 11:48 PM CDT
Bastard Swords

The new system has better weapons, with the exception that the weapon is on average heavier. Oben, which now behaves like katars, are lighter.

Bastard swords however, in the old system are better or on par with much lower weight.
-John Milton
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 12:24 AM CDT
Yeah, the analysis of HE as being relatively weak as a weapon set is entirely dependent on how new combat handles the different damage types. If they become equally important, then weapons will no longer be considered "a slicing" or "a jabbing" weapon, and leilond's analysis is correct. But for now I maintain that other than the broadsword HE isn't very worthwhile.
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 12:31 AM CDT
Axes are still worthwhile for an HE user. But yeah the other templates aren't that great. ME has some great templates. Not sure why anyone, aside from someone just starting out, would use an LE instead of an ME once they become the same skill.

Not sure if the whole awkward backstabbing thing will go away though, might.
-John Milton
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 12:57 AM CDT
>>If they become equally important, then weapons will no longer be considered "a slicing" or "a jabbing" weapon, and leilond's analysis is correct.

I don't buy that analysis for a second. Why even have Puncture, Slice and Impact as separate stats if the damage from each adds together like that? Why have different types of attacks like thrust, slice, bash, if the puncture/slice/impact stats don't matter?

At that point you may as well just change weapons to have one number called DPS and we can all rightclick on mobs to start an autoattack sequence like Vanilla WoW Ret Paladins

Apu
_
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 01:31 AM CDT
> I don't buy that analysis for a second. Why even have Puncture, Slice and Impact as separate stats if the damage from each adds together like that? Why have different types of attacks like thrust, slice, bash, if the puncture/slice/impact stats don't matter?

Well, there's the idea that armors/critters might have different resistances to the different types. If an attack does 5 puncture damage, 15 slice and 10 bashing, and the target has no resistance to any of them, then sure, 30 damage total. If the target has resistance to puncture but not slice or bashing, then suddenly the different types become important.
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 01:48 AM CDT
>>At that point you may as well just change weapons to have one number called DPS and we can all rightclick on mobs to start an autoattack sequence like Vanilla WoW Ret Paladins

Well as long as we're not being too hyperbolic.

I think there's room for both weapons that are really good at X as well as weapons that are really good at being well-rounded in the new forging and with whatever combat 3.0 ends up being. With the previous forging system, everyone pretty much wanted to ditch two of the damage types in order to maximize the third. I'd consider that more "oh god the DPS is upon us" more than the current forging system.

Beyond that, it's not like all the damage types should not add up in the end. But thinking it will go "1+2+3 = 6 points of damage!" is a bit short sighted. The attack will also take into account how much each one is reduced by armor, then how much damage is absorbed by the armor, and that's probably taking place after parry and evasion and shield checks, and let's not forget any other modifiers like flaming swords and the armor checks there, or whatever modifiers will happen based on how heavy (or light?) the weapon is, and in addition to that there might be things like MAF or HP going on... or who knows some weapons might be more geared toward doing physical damage than vit damage or vit damage over physical damage or cause bleeders over either of those...

Acting like people going "well all the stats equal X so that's good" means everything is going to be boring and automated is a bit silly.

(Acting like combat is this incredibly dynamic and non-scripted event for many players right now is a bit silly, also. So, at worst, we're staying still, not regressing.)
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 02:32 AM CDT
>>The attack will also take into account how much each one is reduced by armor, then how much damage is absorbed by the armor,

I agree with almost everything you said, but I copied this snippet because this part alone proves my point. Leilond's analysis completely ignores the way that armor protection reduces a flat amount of damage off each type, which will always give a big advantage to the Pure Impact weapon type over one with balanced stats. His analysis also ignored the fact that LE and ME have lower RTs than HE, and that even if it Total Point Value was an accurate way to analyze things, 30 points at 2 second RT is far better than 34 points at 3 seconds RT.

I was not the one being hyperbolic - I was just analyzing how the game would work if damage for puncture/slice/impact was simply added together in the manner explained above. I have no doubt whatsoever that balanced weapon damages will be made more desirable in Combat 3.0. But I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it won't be in that simplistic Total Point Value manner, but in a much more interesting manner like if sometimes pure slice or impact was best but other times a mix of puncture/slice was best, depending on your character's stats and the creature you fight, etc.

>>(Acting like combat is this incredibly dynamic and non-scripted event for many players right now is a bit silly, also. So, at worst, we're staying still, not regressing.)

DR's combat system is very dynamic and interesting. Just because most people script it and don't pay much attention doesn't change the fact that it's very well designed (except for random unavoidable 1 shot kills, those can <censored censored censored>). That's like saying the Grand Canyon is boring because most people fly over it in airplanes with the window shades closed.

Apu
_
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 07:23 AM CDT
I'm sorry, but my point was merely to address the total point progression of the weapon types and to highlight what the crafting system is actually based on when climbing the weapon size scale.

Like I said before, your issue isn't with Heavy Edge being subpar in terms of points. Your issue is the fact that Heavy Edge has spread its points across multiple damage types, which is in contrast to Heavy Blunt which has lumped all of its damage into the Impact basket.

Rather than saying "Heavy Edge sucks!" I would think you should inquire with Kodius or perhaps Dartenian as to how the spread out damage will function in Combat 3.0, and whether or not these weapons with the spread out damage will be as effective as weapons with isolated extreme damage types.

~Leilond
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 08:10 AM CDT
<<Your issue is the fact that Heavy Edge has spread its points across multiple damage types, which is in contrast to Heavy Blunt which has lumped all of its damage into the Impact basket.

It's not so much that. It's that the system is currently designed so that only Impact + one other stat matter. Period. I rarely find myself exclaiming "Wow, heavy puncture on a broadsword! This will totally make those jabs deadly!" It's too soon yet to really judge how Combat 3.0 is going to shake out, but I'm going to go ahead and jump out on a limb and say that it will still be undesirable in Combat 3.0.

So his issue is that HE templates are undesirable compared to small blade templates. This is an addressable issue. Broadswords having significant puncture damage makes zero sense. Longswords are a balanced template (and should be, since they're actually designed to pierce plate armor). Broadswords should not be (they were designed for use against light armor and rely heavily on impact to break surfaces). Instead all of HE is balanced templates. Small blades do not have that issue at all, and 2HE are all Slice/Impact in varying degrees.

Of course, all of this adds up to HE weapons seeming underwhelming. Not gonna lie, that is why to this day I use ME on most of my characters.
Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 11:14 AM CDT
somewhere... there was a post by Kodius that I believe talked about damage/second.

I think I could be way off, but I believe it went something like:

Same Metals used across similar weapon types over different classes of weapons should result in the same damage per second.

Meaning an LE "slicer" compared to a ME "slicer" to a HE "slicer" all made of HC steel should all provide the same amount of damage potential across an equal time period.

But I could be completely mis-remembering.

The second thing I think people are just starting to touch on is the complexity of the the heralded combat 3.0!

I believe different armor types will have different resistances (as will critters, although some do now). As a totally made up example: against a paladin in full plate you might want the hammer of whomping impact because slicing won't do jack against plate; but against a ranger in padded leather, the impact will be reduced much more and therefore you should use your slicer of dewm to cut through the hide; in chain mail, those neither smushy nor slicey will cut it, and you need to fill those little holes with your pokey stick. Most likely, if you are in cloth, you better stay hidden.

Finally, I'm guess that stamina, shields, stealth encumbrance, and overall hindrance will play a huge part in picking both weapons and armor.

I'm sure someone will take this mess of a post and explain it better.

Re: (no subject) 08/16/2011 11:34 AM CDT
>>Same Metals used across similar weapon types over different classes of weapons should result in the same damage per second.

>>Meaning an LE "slicer" compared to a ME "slicer" to a HE "slicer" all made of HC steel should all provide the same amount of damage potential across an equal time period.

I'm not sure if it was said or not but the scenario above would have to be where all the moons aligned, there are so many parts to the equation I don't damage per second is a good scale to go by.

For example, if I am facing a critter that is borderline beyond my ability to hit I may take out an LE and because its superbly balanced and land damaging hits, while my HB is dismally balanced and can't get through it's parry so it basically is netting 0 damage. That's just one simple scenario but I think everything boils down to the stats of the weapon whether it is good\better in a particular situation.

I know you were hitting on that point as well with your armor scenario.

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Prev_page Previous 1