Analyze 11/04/2010 02:57 PM CDT
I realize this is probably a "Duh" question... however what is analyze? Guild only skill/verb?
Re: Analyze 11/04/2010 03:29 PM CDT
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Analyze_command

Also, you can use disarm <box> analyze to determine how easily you'd be able to harvest the trap part from it.
Re: Analyze 11/12/2010 03:43 PM CST
So basically you have to have used the forge to gain any benefit from analyze?
Re: Analyze 11/12/2010 03:44 PM CST
Currently, yes.

~Worrclan, Dwarf of the Realms-
Re: Analyze 11/13/2010 09:49 AM CST
>So basically you have to have used the forge to gain any benefit from analyze?

You have to forge a pretty significant number of items before it starts giving you information as well. Not a fan.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Analyze 11/15/2010 11:26 AM CST
<<You have to forge a pretty significant number of items before it starts giving you information as well. Not a fan.

No one should have to forge to understand forging. Understanding origami and braiding grass for 6 years will teach you all you need to know about forging.

Mistrust is our only defense against betrayal.
Re: Analyze 11/15/2010 11:33 AM CST
>No one should have to forge to understand forging. Understanding origami and braiding grass for 6 years will teach you all you need to know about forging.

While it's true that you can make perfect items after a career of braiding grass and folding paper, you can't appreciate the quality of your work until you've forged a significant amount. And while you can make an argument in favor of basing analysis on the forging counter(s), it seems like another way to circumvent a tertiary skill (appraisal).

>describe boar
Re: Analyze 11/15/2010 12:29 PM CST
<<And while you can make an argument in favor of basing analysis on the forging counter(s), it seems like another way to circumvent a tertiary skill (appraisal).

Which is really just another way of saying that appraising that same 100 plat gem over and over is how you understand the materials in forged gear.

The forging counter worked. It provided a goal, a clear method to obtain that goal, and an incremental benefit along the way based on actually forging.

While appraisal skill does fit, moving the ability entirely to appraisal is distasteful. Analyze has been a forging system perk thus far, and should continue to be so, perhaps only minimally modified by appraisal.

Re: Analyze 11/15/2010 04:44 PM CST
>While appraisal skill does fit, moving the ability entirely to appraisal is distasteful. Analyze has been a forging system perk thus far, and should continue to be so, perhaps only minimally modified by appraisal.

Because goodness knows Appraisal does way too much.

~ Kougen

You tap Ruea's nose with your willow tree.
Re: Analyze 11/16/2010 06:23 PM CST
>Because goodness knows Appraisal does way too much.

Appraisal is so awesome that at 800 ranks and capped stats, I trigger some bug with appraise careful and I can only get accurate values on expensive items with appraise quick. Appraisal FTW.

To Praxis/Slaris: yes, that is exactly the problem. Analyze was a clear cut way to circumvent the issue of training a tertiary skill. Look, I forged probably more items than anyone in the history of DR, but you can't defend the bypassing of an underutilized lore skill.

>describe boar
Re: Analyze 11/16/2010 06:39 PM CST
<<but you can't defend the bypassing of an underutilized lore skill.

I am struggling to understand how we need to move away from megabehemoth skills like *mech and PM and need to move everything with an attribute into appraisal.

And honestly, the forging counter and analyze data won't make or break appraisal.

*Maybe not the best analogy.

Re: Analyze 11/16/2010 08:34 PM CST
>I am struggling to understand how we need to move away from megabehemoth skills like *mech and PM and need to move everything with an attribute into appraisal.

Making Analyze based on the crafting skill (/'skill') has crafting doing too much and Appraisal doing too little. Both of these are gross violations of the announced definition of a good skill.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Analyze 11/18/2010 05:45 AM CST
Appraisal is so easy to train, who cares. I guess it would be opening analyze up to a lot more people, but then again who cares?

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html
Re: Analyze 11/19/2010 12:24 PM CST
>Appraisal is so easy to train, who cares. I guess it would be opening analyze up to a lot more people, but then again who cares?

Clearly I care, or I wouldn't be mentioning it.

>describe boar
Re: Analyze 11/19/2010 01:15 PM CST
>>Clearly I care, or I wouldn't be mentioning it.

Let me rephrase:

Appraisal is so easy to train, who cares. (Because those who have analyze now will probably still have it). (If appraisal is used for analyze) I guess it would be opening analyze up to a lot more people (because appraisal is easy to train), but then again who cares? (if non-forgers can analyze).

I think we agree?

Re: Analyze 11/19/2010 05:46 PM CST
Other than JMF90, I probably have the most knowledge of forging weapons and armor in TF and have never bothered to use analyze. I've forged hundreds if not thousands of pieces. Appraisal I like because it gives me an idea of what the weapon or armor stats are, but analyze? I don't know that it provides me with any information that I care anything about, and it certainly doesn't provide me with any tdp's like the Appraisal skill does.

I hate forging now anyway. I've done enough of it over the years, that I only forge what I need to for myself. If anyone else wants forged stuff, they can put the time and the ranks in, and learn how to do it. Of course, forging will be changing soon, but I'm so disgusted with the system, I have no plans to craft anything, so I've been stocking up on my armor and weapons in preparation.

Analyze? Bleh. No big deal, except as a measure of the utter pain someone had to go through to get to use the verb.

Clerics are on the sectual radar.

Just to be clear - I didn't do it. Not sure who did, but it wasn't me.

- GM Raesh
Re: Analyze 11/21/2010 02:20 PM CST
I can see uses for analyze but because of how its set up the information doesn't make sense.

For example, a more novice forger could analyze a sword to figure out how to try and make it. (grinds etc) But the system is set up that most forgers that can analyze enough to get that info already know how to do that anyways. Doesn't really have much use in its current form.