Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 06:53 AM CST
Is there any consensus on what the best store bought HE? Also what the best store bought HE for low strength/stamina characters is? (Think Commoner, so like 15 strength/stamina).

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 07:20 AM CST
Why store-bought, if I might ask?

If store-bought is what you are seeking, though, with those stats it's really hard to beat the standard Crossing broadsword, as most of the decent store-bought HEs appraise the same. It attacks well, it parries well, and it's cheap as dirt.

When you get a little more strength and stamina under your belt, consider upgrading to the robe sword sold in Kilora's shop on Aesry. It is much heavier than a forged broadsword but it has damage comparable to one, so it packs quite a punch.

"I hate you so much right now." -GM Armifer
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 07:31 AM CST
>>Why store-bought, if I might ask?

Doing a bit of prep work for a necro-commoner in training before I roll up. Figure I stand a better chance of actually being able to play my character if I get a few ranks under his/her belt prior to joining the guild.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 07:52 AM CST
<< Doing a bit of prep work for a necro-commoner in training before I roll up. Figure I stand a better chance of actually being able to play my character if I get a few ranks under his/her belt prior to joining the guild. >>

My necro joined without training up first. He did do some training while joining (as it takes some time to get in). No reason you cant be perfectly playable right away. I mean, if your worried about people hunting down your necro, do you really think you stand a better chance with 50 rank average then 0? The people hunting you will squish you either way. The key is being smart, not skilled.

As for best storebought HE for a newb, the elven longsword in haven is light and good for someone with low strength/agility/stamina. My necro got lucky and and found a lightweight forged broadsword on the Paladin guild rack that was perfect. Definately check the rack first. You will find though that in training thantanology that you need to kill tons of critters, and being weapon tert you lock quickly, my first 10 circles I easily kept 6 weapons locked. So just choose some light weapons in that mix. My heavier weapons which fatigue me I use while training hiding, so fatigue regains durring the hide RT, plus I dumped a ton of TDPs into stamina right away. Though this is all common sense newb training.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 08:10 AM CST
The Crossing broadsword is a good little HE, if you want store-bought. Or there is the broadsword from Steel Claw Clan, which is heavier but hits like a beast and is very difficult to damage.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 10:04 AM CST
Isn't that swappable axe in SCC decent also? I seem to remember liking that before forging was widely availible.

What about the horseman's pick from Theran also?

Both kind of fun, non-standard weapons
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 11:00 AM CST
I'd go with a bastard sword.

You lick the dirt and discover that it tastes like dirt.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 11:09 AM CST
Orc raiders drop some pretty solid broadswords but I'm not sure how much they weigh.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 11:21 AM CST
>>I'd go with a bastard sword.

The SCC bastard sword, or another one? Because that's 16 plat and for that much I might as well get a forged one.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 11:45 AM CST
>The SCC bastard sword, or another one? Because that's 16 plat and for that much I might as well get a forged one.

Of course you're better off with forged. The subject was best storebought HE, so if you had a price disclaimer in your post I missed it.

You lick the dirt and discover that it tastes like dirt.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 12:23 PM CST
>>Of course you're better off with forged. The subject was best storebought HE, so if you had a price disclaimer in your post I missed it.

Sorry, I figured that would evident. The point of store bought was on the whole, cheaper than forged, easier to replace than forged.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 02:00 PM CST
Oh then I would go with the broadsword or longsword sold in the town you are in. The best storebought are usually less accessable and can be as pricey or pricier than forged.

I think about the only exception to that is the Khuj(halbard)
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 02:16 PM CST
>>The elven longsword in Riverhaven is light and good for someone with low strength/agility/stamina.

This if strength/stamina are really of concern. It will serve you plenty well early on. By the time its lesser damage output matters significantly you should be strong enough to wield a Crossing broadsword/longsword. FWIW, seems to me the main difference between the broadsword and long sword is the former favors suitedness, the latter balance.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 02:28 PM CST
Even having a barb who can cap almost all the weapons I would still just use crossing scimitars and broadswords unless I felt the uncontrolable urge to forge.. They're not too bad for store bought weapons.
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 02:47 PM CST
<<Doing a bit of prep work for a necro-commoner in training before I roll up. Figure I stand a better chance of actually being able to play my character if I get a few ranks under his/her belt prior to joining the guild.>>

This is a pretty archaic practice these days of new EXP. Training up as a commoner when tert skills at low levels still pulsed like tert skills was a wise thing to do. Now a days, Skills pulse at primary levels at low ranks so there is no need to "prep" before joining a guild. Also joining a guild gets you access to magic abilities and spells and other guild only perks.

So for this tangent, Join your guild now, don't prep you are actually wasting time.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 02:49 PM CST
>>So for this tangent, Join your guild now, don't prep you are actually wasting time.

While this might be a good thing for most guilds now I don't think it's a horrible idea for a necro-commoner, which he said he was. Less chance of getting SO and none of DO until he gets some decent skills
Re: Best Storebought HE 01/12/2010 03:40 PM CST
The problem is you can't effectively train 4 of the 5 magics. To actually benefit from a skills aspect, you'd have to take a tertiary skill past 100 ranks, otherwise you are penalizing yourself in learning.

I would think it would be better to join now and practice hiding, then join later and lose the training time waiting for magics to catch up.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/03/2010 08:15 AM CST
Get combats and stealth through rats first.

Then join the necro guild.

Then never reenter town ever again.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/03/2010 10:14 AM CST
Holy thread necro (rimshot) batman!

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/12/2010 11:19 AM CST
>> Is there any consensus on what the best store bought HE? Also what the best store bought HE for low strength/stamina characters is? (Think Commoner, so like 15 strength/stamina).

I think in Leth, they sell a longsword it's something like "a leaf-blade longsword". It's a very lightweight HE, It was one of my first weapons for my old barbarian.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/12/2010 11:28 AM CST
Personally, I went with an Elven longsword for my Elf commoner. I've found it to be adequate, though a little heavy.

Play the game!
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/12/2010 11:33 AM CST
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Weapon:Elven_longsword

Play the game!
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/12/2010 07:05 PM CST
I prefer a Broadsword over an elven long.

Elven long feels too much like a medium edge then a heavy.

Broadsword or Marauders sword is nice.

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Weapon:Lightened_battle_axe

thats also a very nice weapon.

when it comes to Axes, heavy edge is the place to be.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/12/2010 07:08 PM CST
No edit button sucks :(

sorry I meant a Hunting Sword not a marauders sword.

Also, look up a nimsha.

I want to confess all my sins. But my heart is empty. That emptiness is a Mirror and when I stare into it I only see my reflection and feel insolence and rage.
-The Seventh Seal
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 06:31 AM CST
Everything except a crossing broadsword is either worthless or two expensive. When it comes to forging, broadswords are again the best option. You can get very good slice and impact on them without sacrificing too much balance.

Axes do not give you enough damage in return for their poor balance. This makes me very sad, because axes are my favorite weapons, flavorwise.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 09:07 AM CST
>Axes do not give you enough damage in return for their poor balance. This makes me very sad, because axes are my favorite weapons, flavorwise.

They all taste coppery to me.

Agreed on the analysis. The cinqueda is one interesting weapon though, since you can't forge a HE jabber.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 11:06 AM CST
I was always partial to the SCC Broadsword because of the Mod impact. I remember them being awfully heavy as a noob. Maybe I'll go get one when I head down there.

Whats the pricetag on forged broadswords these days, and what are the different flavor of apps?

Regards,
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 01:20 PM CST
"Everything except a crossing broadsword is either worthless or two expensive"

I chuckle at this type of remark every time its thrown out. Whatever did we do before forging came out- woe was us- all we had were worthless weapons. Amazing any of us ever managed to learn HE.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 01:34 PM CST
>I chuckle at this type of remark every time its thrown out. Whatever did we do before forging came out- woe was us- all we had were worthless weapons. Amazing any of us ever managed to learn HE.

I was there. We used crossing broadswords, as they are one of the best storebought weapons in the game.

Some people used outrider broadswords, I believe they were obsidian-inlaid and had better slice, but they were rare.

Some people used SCC weapons, but since the cost never dropped, I'd rather spend my plat on a forged item.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 02:27 PM CST
>I chuckle at this type of remark every time its thrown out. Whatever did we do before forging came out- woe was us- all we had were worthless weapons. Amazing any of us ever managed to learn HE.

Stop being snarky Flavorpacket, you understand the meaning.

Either it's better than a Crossings broad, and costs 20 plat, or it's worse, and probably still costs more.

I hope shops in general get a review once the mech lore split and new combat come out.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 05:32 PM CST
>>I chuckle at this type of remark every time its thrown out. Whatever did we do before forging came out- woe was us- all we had were worthless weapons. Amazing any of us ever managed to learn HE.

Even before forged weapons I generally agreed with the "Crossing broadsword or nothing" consensus. It seems silly to a pay dozen plays more for one more level of impact damage but get lesser balance and heavier weight and larger roundtime.

"Limited in nature yet infinite in desire - men are like fallen gods."
- Alphonse de Lamartine
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 07:51 PM CST
Schiavona and Cinqueada
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 09:39 PM CST
Crax makes heavy slice 21 stone broadswords and sells em for 8 to 10 plat....no master smith but tons more affordable then capped basties and such and way better then store bought....ask him IG and he tends to give them away as often as charging for em.
Re: Best Storebought HE 02/14/2010 11:11 PM CST
I've got to side with Rmel, schiavona all the way. But it's a heavy beast, 50-some stones. IIRC the swept-hilt falchion from SCC appraises the same, maybe a tad lighter, i can't be certain though. At heavy slice/mod impact, it hits like a freight train though.