HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 07:11 AM CDT
Hello, I am a new ranger in Elanthia, I've settled on being a ranger after trying a few classes.

I've decided on HE as my primary weapon of choice with Longbow as secondary.

One thing I have noticed with using HE on my ranger is that combat is ... really ... boring (compared to my other classes)

I don't think the roundtimes bore me since I used an LX on my previous profession and it had longer roundtimes but the combat messages go along the lines of:

The broadsword lands a light hit to the goblin's right arm.
The broadsword lands a harmless strike to the goblin's right arm.
The broadsword lands a light hit that lightly cuts the goblin's forearm, lightly stunning it.
The broadsword lands a brushing hit to the goblin's right arm.

On my previous character, a somewhat unsuccessfully shady character, I was achieving delightfully bloody combat messages from noth LE and ME weapons with less skill on the same mobs.

I think when I started my first character I found plenty of people to help me out with armor and starter weapons and with a bit of study I found the weapons I wanted and was able to purchase them fairly easily.

My ranger is poorer and kind of relying on her skinning to get her by. I have saved up about 8 gold now.

I wonder if someone can recommend a good storebought heavy edge. I found a list online of weapons but the HE all seem to appraise fairly similar statwise. I want a weapon that does "fun" damage in combat.

Should I switch back to ME or forward to 2HE instead?

Any advice welcome. Thanks.
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 07:41 AM CDT
The broadsword actually is a good weapon. But since you're a new character, you're not going to have the strength to pull off some of the really devastating hits you've heard of, without a lot of luck. That will change eventually.

My rangers train ME alongside their HE- Which is convenient, given the weapon req that rangers have. So if you want to go that route, by all means do so!

I have found that Steel Claw Clan broadswords, while pricier than the Crossing counterparts, are also sturdier and hit like a ton of bricks. They do seem to weigh a bit more- But if you can't find a forged weapon, consider going with that.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 07:50 AM CDT
Thank you for the prompt reply... I will certainly acquire a steel claw broadsword because my current sword acquired off a donations rack is really frustrating me.

One thing... you say many rangers train ME... is this for TDPs or is there another reason a second edged talent should be learned?

I ask because I think if I were to pick up a new combat weapon (currently I train HE, LongB, Brawl) I think I would grab a blunt. Either that or 2HE which interests me a lot but I have no idea how I would cope with RT or storage plus I don't know if I want to pick up a second edged.
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 08:22 AM CDT
If I have a character that trains HE, I ALWAYS train 2HE as well. Using a bastard sword makes this a no-brainer. It's been awhile since I've trained a ranger, but I believe you actually have 3 weapons for circle requirements, though the third weapon reqs may be quite minimal, there's nothing wrong with gaining extra tdp's along the way.

As a young/new player, you won't have the strength to deliver the more devastating hits just yet, but that will come. Don't worry about the round time, it's capped at 6 seconds regardless of weapon. Steel claw clan sells a storebought bastard sword, though it's pricey. You may find someone willing to donate one. Early on, a 28 stone bastie is the way to go if you can get your hands on one.

I've only had one character that trained HE without training 2HE. Instead he trained HE and ME and I regretted it. Once he got above 100th circle and the critters got a bit tougher, ME just didn't kill as quickly as HE or 2HE. The barbarian I'm training now has trained all 4 edges to 350+ but I've dropped LE and ME from the list at this point. There's nothing like a forged bastard sword to train with.

Good luck, and never hesitate to "pick up" an extra weapon or armor, or skill of any kind.

If it helps, just think of yourself as the fluorescent light in the buglamp of life.

- GM Dartenian
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 08:30 AM CDT
Mostly my people train ME because a lot of those are strong, but still light enough that they can be swung fairly quickly. That's really about all.

Incidentally, I did roll up a tog ranger (RP purposes) who didn't pick up an ME until somewhat later in his career: Instead, he went with huge honking weapons. So do whatever feels good to your character.

Incidentally, a blunt is a very good choice for weapons too because some critters are easier to bash than to slice and dice. If you're near Crossing, you can get a decent starter medium blunt from Tiger Clan for a few silver. If you travel to Therengia, look into getting a Horseman's Mace: Those are relatively light and hit hard.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 08:32 AM CDT
If you go Medium blunt, I <3 the mace that A'danf carry. Can't remember how to spell it though. the scherjlkf mace.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 08:39 AM CDT
>>If you go Medium blunt, I <3 the mace that A'danf carry. Can't remember how to spell it though. the scherjlkf mace.

::chuckles:: Close. Sh'hrtel hammer, something like that. And I can appreciate the irony of delivering the enemy's weapon back to him bashy-end first!

Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 09:47 AM CDT
what's your agility at? it might be that when playing your thief character you trained agility more because you thought it more thiefly. and for the ranger you've trained strength instead of agil b/c of the heavy weapon
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 09:56 AM CDT
>>I will certainly acquire a steel claw broadsword because my current sword acquired off a donations rack is really frustrating me.

It occured to me that the sword you grabbed might have been starter junk. It wouldn't happen to be the wood-hilted (or is it handled?) broadsword, would it? If so these are utterly worthless. If you have enough experience to know what the starter junk looks like, then please pardon me and carry on :)

--Talo the leftish Barbarian--
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 10:00 AM CDT
I've had ME as my prime weapon for awhile now, just a few months back I decided I liked HE alot more. Heavier hits, great slice FTW. Light enough weight, easy to use. Getting 3/4 right now, was 2/3 with outcast scim. I'm trying to close a 100+ rank gap between the two, but once I do I think I'll be even more thrilled with my choice.

Never did like 2HE much.

Anyone who has lost track of time when using a computer knows the propensity to dream, the urge to make dreams come true and the tendency to miss lunch.
~Tim Berners-Lee
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 05:35 PM CDT
Thanks for all the comments, they have been really helpful. Here's my responses to what people have suggested:

I know about bastard swords but I didn't realise there were store-bought ones. I would like to train 2HE on the side once I get more strength so I will look at getting that one.

MB would be fun to learn, I assume it stuns more than an edged weapon? I don't want to train too many weapons because I don't want combat to be my focus. I am training brawling as my third "weapon" skill when the other two lock up because I think it might be handy some day to be able to fight without a weapon but once I can wear a shield with my bow I might drop it.

My agility is slightly higher than my strength because I'm an elf so I get a bonus to it plus it's a hangover from other games where I've been conditioned to think that being able to land a hit is more important than how hard it hits. Also I think it's useful for my longbow.

My broadsword I got from in the tent at the temple, I'm pretty sure it's a regular crossing broadsword not a starter one. I have a weapon list with appraisals and it seems ok, just nothing special. My thief was using a shriike and a sabre. The sabre was from Shard. That place is a nightmare for a new player. I couldn't work out how to get in, and then I got in but I couldn't find my way around even with a map and everything was closed because it was night and I somehow fell into undershard and got stunned and killed and managed to depart with my items but forgot I was carrying my lifesavings so it took a few more days till I was able to go back and get the sabre. This made that weapon special to me XD.
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/02/2009 09:42 PM CDT
Kind of funny you asked for advice then rebuttal it. Anyway the advice given was really good, the bastie makes a great HE let alone duel HE/2HE. You could go the drop HE go ME/MB and duel wield it with offhand. This would let you have a broad range of damage from puncture to slice to impact and it's very fun. ME/MB/Longbow all medium sized weapons and brawl/offhand you would be solid.

Hatsumi Shaiyo'Vuraensh
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/03/2009 01:39 PM CDT
Might want to try using a longsword instead of a broadsword.

They seem to be a bit better when your younger.

[Space For Rent]
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/05/2009 01:10 PM CDT
If you ever find Vinjince IG, chat with him a little and I'll throw you a forged 21 stone heavy slice broadsword and maybe a few plats. It's one of the best HE weapons for beginners.

Vinjince
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 05/05/2009 01:39 PM CDT
> If you ever find Vinjince IG, chat with him a little and I'll throw you a forged 21 stone heavy slice broadsword and maybe a few plats. It's one of the best HE weapons for beginners.

I've got a 21 stone HE as well. It's hot. Hunt him down and get it.
Re: HE starter weapon for a new ranger 10/24/2009 11:38 PM CDT
For low level HE I was a fan of the elven longsword from haven. I grew up in a different combat system but I recall getting the fun messaging right out the gate with that. The 21 stone forged are a step better than that. There is a store bought basti but if I recall it's somthing like 8 or 10 plat from the clan just north of shard. Not exactly affordable on rat skins.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"