Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 07:47 AM CST
I recently saw a weapon called "a frost-etched jeo'telo" that apps as HE and has no look to inform me of what it actually is - axe, sword of some kind, etc. Can anyone fill me in?

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 10:05 AM CST
> jeo'telo

Literally translates to "ice'sword" from Gamgweth.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 10:29 AM CST
Thanks, that helps a bit. Any and all items with a non-english name should have a LOOK that tells us what the heck it actually is. No slacking!

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 11:07 AM CST
>>Any and all items with a non-english name should have a LOOK that tells us what the heck it actually is. No slacking!

I would rather see this as a function of STUDY, and based on scholarship.

~
Koromas says, "I am Viceroy to his majesty Warrior King Raenilar and you will adress me as such."
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 11:50 AM CST
That would in this case be appraisal... I knew it was a Heavy Edged weapon that appeared best suited for slicing attacks. The fact that the creator decided to name it "jeo'telo" instead of "ice sword" shouldn't impact my character's ability to figure out what it is, and ICly it currently doesn't... but OOCly all I know is that I have an HE weapon that could look like anything.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 11:54 AM CST
The fact that someone was able to find a translation means that the answer is out there, it's just a matter of choosing to do the homework or not.

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
Stand back mortal, lest ye health be perceived.
-Ssra
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 11:57 AM CST
>>it's just a matter of choosing to do the homework or not.

Hanryu just gained a new rank in scholarship.
Give him a High Five.

~
Koromas says, "I am Viceroy to his majesty Warrior King Raenilar and you will adress me as such."
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 12:26 PM CST
I checked three languages without success before asking, and figured posting here would be a more efficient way to find out. Work smarter, not harder, you know?

And, of course, there's the little issue of 'ice sword' being a strange term. What exactly does it mean? A LOOK on the item in question might resolve the issue, but for now there's not much to go on. See where I'm coming from here?

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 01:19 PM CST
No

~Arwinia

Thieves will continue to be dominated by the awesome power of the perceive health ability - that which causes rivers to dry up, babies to cry, and the earth to shake.
-Ssra
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 02:25 PM CST
I had thought some time ago a moratorium was placed on new items that could not be visually interpreted.

Mores the pity that people have all this cool stuff that may as well mean they are holding a decorative water clock and wearing a boat.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 03:00 PM CST
>>No<<

....okay, let's use a metaphor.

You buy a spoon. This is an ordinary spoon made of metal with no distinguishing features. However, when you ask about this spoon the store clerk (who happens to hail from Spain) tells you it is a "cuchara" (the Spanish word for "spoon"). So you now have a cuchara.

How can this POSSIBLY in ANY WAY inhibit your ability to tell what this eating utensil looks like, or your ability to operate it effectively? A spoon is a cuchara is a spoon and whatever you happen to call it, it LOOKs the same in any language. The same goes for any eating utensil.

A Jeo'telo is apparently an "Ice Sword" and LOOKing at it should tell me what it looks like, because my character would know that information even if he doesn't know the language.

Satisfied?

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 03:18 PM CST
<<Any and all items with a non-english name should have a LOOK that tells us what the heck it actually is.>>

needs to be in the look and no skill check.

If my character placed a sisk on the ground next to a retigro . Your character would know exactly which one is what kind of object. Is one a shirt, a food, a weapon, armor, a book, a hat, shoes, gloves, etc?

sisk = axe in Gamgweth
retigro = necklace in Prydaen

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 05:10 PM CST
"The fact that someone was able to find a translation means that the answer is out there, it's just a matter of choosing to do the homework or not."

Apparently his not a complete Dragonrealms geek and hasn't bookmarked all the language dictionaries. Instead he posted a very polite question and suggested that we should be able to identify what something is by, you know, looking at it. I too would like to be able to look at a weapon and know that it is generally a sword, if thats what it is. My geekiness doesn't demand I go searching in dictionaries for answers my character would reasonably know.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 05:24 PM CST
>>Apparently his not a complete Dragonrealms geek and hasn't bookmarked all the language dictionaries. Instead he posted a very polite question and suggested that we should be able to identify what something is by, you know, looking at it. I too would like to be able to look at a weapon and know that it is generally a sword, if thats what it is. My geekiness doesn't demand I go searching in dictionaries for answers my character would reasonably know.

I get your desire to post in a snide manner at all times but I wasn't referring to the question, I was referring to his complaint/request that all items also have descriptions on them in layman's terms.

~Arwinia

-Ssra
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 05:38 PM CST
"I get your desire to post in a snide manner at all times but I wasn't referring to the question, I was referring to his complaint/request that all items also have descriptions on them in layman's terms."

I actually don't post in a snide manner at all times, but your snide and arrogant post inspired me.

To repeat- the original poster asked a valid question, and Hanyru gave a very useful reply. As a followup Wise suggested

"Any and all items with a non-english name should have a LOOK that tells us what the heck it actually is"

Your helpful contribution was:

"The fact that someone was able to find a translation means that the answer is out there, it's just a matter of choosing to do the homework or not."

and

"no"

Mine was to say that I agreed with the original poster. Not sure what your problem with that is.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 06:01 PM CST
It is amusing and somewhat disheartening at the same time to find that someone actually likes the generic "You see nothing unusual" messaging from LOOK enough to want confusing items to have no LOOK description.

As a side topic, what would you guys interpret "A Frost-etched Ice Sword" to be? I doubt it's literal, but I'm at a loss as to what would make it an 'ice' sword, or how one would etch something using frost.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/02/2009 06:08 PM CST
>>I'm at a loss as to what would make it an 'ice' sword, or how one would etch something using frost.

You and me both. I've thought that was a silly weapon description for a long time now. Even if you could etch something with frost, how would you be able to tell that it was etched by frost?

Anyhow, I just assume it looks like one of those annoying generic fantasy swords that can be bought from QVC or any number of random websites for $19.95 + S&H. Take your pick:

http://theswordlord.com/library/KRT323_P_NWslayer.jpg
http://www.gamemaker.nu/upload/image/FantasySword1.jpg
http://pagebydave.net/knife/images/Fantasy_Swords_Sword_of_Darkness__UC1120B_1632.jpg
http://www.globalgear.com.au/images/dsc_2982copy.jpg
http://eagleswords.com/library/2HandedSword.gif

Denstimar Dustyfoot
Idon Raider - www.idonraiders.com
"Have you not learned great lessons from those who braced themselves against you, and disputed passage with you?" - Walt Whitman
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 12:45 PM CST
>>I had thought some time ago a moratorium was placed on new items that could not be visually interpreted.

There was indeed, though sadly we haven't yet achieved a state of perfection that prevents things from slipping by us. This could also be an item that predates the new rules. Can you help me out with where you got it from so we can work on making sure it gets defined and corrected for the future?

>>I get your desire to post in a snide manner at all times but I wasn't referring to the question, I was referring to his complaint/request that all items also have descriptions on them in layman's terms.

Sadly, this complaint/desire has been echo'd by myself and Solomon and is a policy we are aiming for. If an item is a chair, it should be recognizable as a chair even if it is a s'kra mur variant that everyone calls by the traditional name. Knowing that a weapon is HE or LE is not nearly enough in my book and when holding it in your hands you should at least be able to tell someone else what general type of weapon it is, be it an axe, knife, sword, etc. This should be possible without having to look in various dictionaries and make an attempt to understand what subtle meaning was used in the original translation which quite often isn't suitable due to the relatively incomplete nature of the in game languages as it is.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 12:56 PM CST
I saw it in the curio shop in the Estate Holder clubhouse in Crossing. I want to say it was in the second room, but I'm not positive. There was another weapon there that I believe is in a similar state, but again I'm not positive.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 01:37 PM CST
>>I saw it in the curio shop in the Estate Holder clubhouse in Crossing. I want to say it was in the second room, but I'm not positive. There was another weapon there that I believe is in a similar state, but again I'm not positive.

You're right: There is a bow in that room also, a composite bow. I believe it's called a taisgweldar, or something similar. No one who is not familiar with in-game lore would know that's what it was- though it is possible to appraise it and find out.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 01:40 PM CST
>>You're right: There is a bow in that room also, a composite bow. I believe it's called a taisgweldar, or something similar. No one who is not familiar with in-game lore would know that's what it was- though it is possible to appraise it and find out.

And familiar with in game lore or not, I'm betting not a single person has a clue what makes it different from a normal composite bow either. We'll look into these.

GM Oolan Jeel

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs." Robert Firth
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 03:35 PM CST
>>You're right: There is a bow in that room also, a composite bow. I believe it's called a taisgweldar, or something similar. No one who is not familiar with in-game lore would know that's what it was- though it is possible to appraise it and find out.

>>And familiar with in game lore or not, I'm betting not a single person has a clue what makes it different from a normal composite bow either. We'll look into these.

Any relation to this title?

Taisgwelger
At least ? in Total Bow Ranks

> l yuo
You are Taisgwelger Yuoree Numbnezle, a Dwarf.

The gamgweth dictionary thingy says that means bowman/archer.
Also says taisgwelduan = bow. I'm not very good with lores :/
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 04:50 PM CST
You rock Oolan. Attention to detail like that really adds a lot to the game, and is definitely worthy of pursuing.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/03/2009 09:04 PM CST
Kudos- stuff that makes the game more accessible makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/04/2009 03:48 AM CST
>You rock Oolan. Attention to detail like that really adds a lot to the game, and is definitely worthy of pursuing.

and

>Kudos- stuff that makes the game more accessible makes the game more enjoyable for me.

QFT

~Artilius
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/05/2009 09:04 AM CST
>> >>You're right: There is a bow in that room also, a composite bow. I believe it's called a taisgweldar, or something similar. No one who is not familiar with in-game lore would know that's what it was- though it is possible to appraise it and find out.

>>And familiar with in game lore or not, I'm betting not a single person has a clue what makes it different from a normal composite bow either. We'll look into these.

>>GM Oolan Jeel

I just went and looked... it's a horn-tipped walnut taisgwelduan. And what makes it different from a normal composite bow is... it's a long bow. :)

Is there something that makes it different from a normal long bow?
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/05/2009 03:06 PM CST
>>I just went and looked... it's a horn-tipped walnut taisgwelduan. And what makes it different from a normal composite bow is... it's a long bow. :)

>>Is there something that makes it different from a normal long bow?

Sorry, I was tired and forgot to double check before posting. What I mean about being different is simple. If it is just an ordinary long bow in design, then it should be called a long bow. In order for it to be immediately identifyable to one and all as a taisgwelduan (even if we still haven't a clue what that is) then there must be some aspect of its design, even if purely cosmetic that makes it stand out. It is our job as GM's to establish that and more importantly relay it to you the players, preferably in an established description on the item.

As some additional detail I've determined that frost-etched refers to an etching design of frost crystals along the blade. Working on the rest as these are very, very old items and I need to establish their details.

GM Oolan Jeel

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/05/2009 03:22 PM CST
> preferably in an established description on the item

On that note, is there any news on the plan to allow us to look at items held/worn by other players? The last I heard of this was a few months ago, when Solomon was posted something to the effect of this being an easy add to the game.

I'm fine with having items with names like uku'uanstaho as long as I can pull off something like this:

> l uku on Ari
Silver lines have been embossed upon the strong black steel of the stock, giving color to the otherwise dark heavy crossbow.

Or even a new command to just spell out the obvious:
> l Ari
Aristron is holding a silver-inlaid uku'uanstaho in his right hand and a keffiyeh in his left hand.

> assess Ari
Aristron is holding a heavy crossbow weapon in his right hand and nothing threatening in his left hand.

= Father Aristron Karanea =
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/05/2009 03:29 PM CST
>>If it is just an ordinary long bow in design, then it should be called a long bow. In order for it to be immediately identifyable to one and all as a taisgwelduan (even if we still haven't a clue what that is) then there must be some aspect of its design, even if purely cosmetic that makes it stand out. It is our job as GM's to establish that and more importantly relay it to you the players, preferably in an established description on the item.<<

My thoughts exactly Oolan. For some things, like Prydaen clothing, a non-common name makes sense... others not so much. For the record I don't recall ever having this problem before, so you guys are obviously doing a pretty nice job of sticking to this policy.

Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/05/2009 09:20 PM CST
> assess Ari
>Aristron is holding a heavy crossbow weapon in his right hand and nothing threatening in his left hand.

I could see this as a function of appraise too. Instead of just listing everything they are wearing and where. Wouldn't even mind if it had a short roundtime, maybe 3 seconds, like appraise quick.

App Ianuilleam combat

Ianuilleam is holding an elegantly curved axe in his right hand which appears to be a two-handed edged weapon and nothing in his left hand.
He is wearing a Warrior's tower shield which is a large shield.
He is wearing a gleaming silver helm which is heavy plate.
He is wearing some gleaming silver plate which is heavy plate.
etc.

Maybe with lower appraisal and/or relevant weapon or armor skill it just describes it as 'some kind of weapon', or 'some kind of armor', then with a little more it gives you 'plate armor', 'chain armor', etc. and finally with even more skill gives you the full type. I realize some people may not want everyone to know that their dyed 'black shirt' 'black gloves' etc. are really a chain shirt and whatnot, but just because you don't want people to know you are all geared up for combat doesn't mean my character shouldn't recognise a chain shirt as armor just because you dyed it black. It's still a chain shirt.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/06/2009 03:24 AM CST
Here are a couple I have that are not immediately identifable:

a lanahh pahapo
a steel ngalio
an encrusted silvered staecklumba

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/06/2009 06:02 AM CST
Hrr'ibu is another one.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/09/2009 01:58 PM CST
Everything sold the leth weapon shop.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"

Reene:I want telekinetic striptease
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 01/20/2009 09:12 AM CST
Sometimes I use google images to find out what weapons are, if they make sense for weapon type that is. Like a jambiya and koummya (leth LE)look very similar, for example.

Terra

~ The song that is irresistable ~
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 04/16/2009 08:46 AM CDT
Find me a picture of this... please, I love it but have no idea what it looks like laughs

>get my hhr
You get an ironwood-hafted hhr'ata from inside your journey pack.
>l at my hhr
Made from a type of ironwood normally found in the desert, the haft's coloring is more burnt-red than the darker color of iron, and all along its length are the forms of snakes and their larger cousins, the dragons.
>
>app my hhr
An ironwood-hafted hhr'ata is a heavy thrown and heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
Re: Frost-etched Jeo'telo 04/16/2009 10:42 PM CDT
Looks like a war hammer type deal.

Maulem exclaims, "Stop shootin da wimmins!"

Gene Police! You, outta the pool!