Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 03:47 PM CST
Why are these Schiavona's so darn heavy? 56 stones is like.....a lot.

how much does a stone count towards lbs in dragonrealms?

I've been researching schiavona's since i didn't know what they were when I bought one, and according to all the web sources i've found, which I'll post if anyone wants, they are all about 2.5 lbs in weight. 56 stones seems INSANEly heavy for this weapon.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 04:09 PM CST
ok found a few that were as heavy as 3.5 lbs. no where near making me believe they should be 56 stones.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 04:34 PM CST
Bear in mind the Acid Etched Sabre from Shard is ~29 stones, so I don't think you can go with the traditial measure ie 1 stone = 14 lb. I'd guess 1 stone ~= 1 oz, as IIRC sabres are about 30 oz or so (about 2lbs.)

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 04:57 PM CST
Maly, I hope you're not confusing real life with DR life. Just because schiavonas back in the day weighed between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds has nothing to do with what they weigh in DR.

DR weapons weight is irrelevant to real life. It's just a matter of whether or not your character in DR can swing a DR weapon.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 05:08 PM CST
10 stones = 1 pound in DR.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 05:14 PM CST
They are sick and awesome looking weapons. I was just hoping they'd be usable in combat. And not just usable in the normal sense. Having maximum RT even with my higher level characters with a good amount of strength just makes me want to throw it back on the table I bought it from.

I was excited when I saw a 'new' type of heavy edge sword weapon at a fest with decent stats since bastard swords, broadswords, and longswords are really over played and rather plain looking if you want one with decent stats. 56 stones...bigger swords, such as bastard swords weigh less. I'm going to try and live with it though because I'm stubborn like that and it looks cool and not many people have them, hopefully. But, maybe a little downtweak on the weight? please? pretty please? with fragments on top?
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 05:48 PM CST
I have a Schiavona and love it. The heavier weight usually results in better impact which either assists in a one shot kill, or stuns the critter, which then results in a kill the next time around. Strength and agility will help lower the rt.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 06:19 PM CST
>>10 stones = 1 pound in DR.

so that makes it five and a half pounds in a one-handed sword.

I think I have big blunts lighter than this.

why is this thing so heavy?
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/06/2008 07:18 PM CST
>>why is this thing so heavy?

Because it's most likely that the fest schiavonas are just cut & pasted (stat-wise) from the standard shop schiavona sold in Ratha, which weighs 56 stones.

The question then is, why does that schiavona weigh 56 stones, to which the answer would be, "game balance." Why game balance? Because shop weapons are balanced against other store-bought quality weapons. The cost that the designer apparently chose to apply for schiavonas having higher slice and impact levels than a standard broadsword, while still being in the same balance/suitedness ranges was an added 21 stones to the weight. Take for comparison the steelclaw clan broadsword which has better impact than a standard broadsword, in that case, it pays for the extra impact by having a noticeably lower level of balance and 5 stones added to the weight.

Keep in mind that you can't compare store (and most fest) quality weapons/armor to forged versions, they're just not scaled the same.

"Now won't you tell me if you like what you've just heard?
And if you think the point I'm driving at absurd,
Well there's no need to tell me how or tell me why,
But I need to know the reason not to try."
- John Popper, Onslaught
Re: Fest Schiavona's 11/07/2008 10:28 PM CST
>why is this thing so heavy?

With forged weapons being dirt cheap right now, you really dont know how easy you have it.

Magic is not a crutch. Its just something Mages need to get through life.
Re: Fest Schiavona's 01/01/2009 01:56 AM CST
My forged greatsword is 102 stones. Quit complainin'

XXXXX: Wait... you wear heavy plate, use a shield, and don't steal? Why not just roll a Paladin?
Me: Because I don't think my sudden urges to flip out and kill stuff fit the Paladin mentality very well.