"Best" HE 06/11/2008 04:27 PM CDT
I'm curious as to what weapon would be the best HE to use, up to around 36 stones or so, for a character with balanced stats (str and agi the same or very very close). Bastard swords are an obvious choice for their ability to swap to 2HE, but ignoring that, what other options are comparable? Talking forged for the most part, since anything else easily obtainable is probably not as good.

---
It's not a bug, it's an unanticipated feature!
Re: "Best" HE 06/11/2008 08:46 PM CDT
You can get a 28-stone broadsword with heavy slice if you aren't particularly interested in the ability to switch to a 2HE weapon.

Besides that, though, bastard swords are so common because they represent just about the best weapons available for both HE and 2HE. If you don't mind going 8 stones heavier, I would recommend a 36 stone bastard sword. The balance and suitedness will move from f/f to r/r. When you have the ranks to back it up the weapon becomes a monster.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a gypsy marauder's verse!
A surge of intense heat lands a good hit to a morah vine's neck!

Behold the power of Bards: your verse shall be smitten.
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 02:25 AM CDT
I like the 36 stone g/s reason balanced basties.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 07:38 AM CDT
Thats an 18 grind bastie. Sort of rare to pull off. I get them about like 1 out of 20 or so.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 07:59 AM CDT
I would also go with a nice bastie, however you can get a great slice broadsword starting at 40 stones I believe. Just have to find a forger who can make one for you.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 08:49 AM CDT
Even a non-perfect 36 stone G/S bastie is a monster of a weapon. Quite frankly unless you have plat to burn, the fair/reasonably is just great, I doubt you're really notice the difference.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 09:09 AM CDT
>you can get a great slice broadsword starting at 40 stones I believe.

You can, but it has very little impact. You can get decent damage on axes, but they have no balance so I recommend against them.

Overall, the 36 stone bastard sword is your best bet.

________
"I for one welcome our new Lithping Overlordth."
________
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 09:51 AM CDT
if you have plats to burn and can find one, the Outcast Bastard Sword is very impressive. They were sold at a few fests for 146 plat kronars. Great/Severe slice and i think it is Well/Well... not sure i don't have access to app one at the moment.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 10:08 AM CDT
>Great/Severe slice and i think it is Well/Well

Bastard swords can't hit Well/Well - in 2he with kertig they can hit Reasonable/Well.

The outcast bastie is pretty much your standard forged bastard sword appraisal at about 8-10 times the price.

An engraved bastard sword hilted in onyx trimmed with spun gold is a
heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly
suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

An engraved bastard sword hilted in onyx trimmed with spun gold is a
two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is
reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is well constructed, and is
in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs about 40 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 1363625
kronars, 1090900 lirums, or 983991 dokoras.

________
________
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 10:15 AM CDT
Thanks Rmel... it was the well construction i was impressed with when i saw it.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 10:31 AM CDT
That and that fact that you might be able to get it replaced if you lose it in a crash.
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 01:20 PM CDT
Thanks for all the responses, I went with a bastard sword, which is what I was guessing would happen; I've used the one from the outcast tent and a forged one, and they are indeed great; kinda lame that it's the best HE AND an awsome choice for 2HE, but it makes sense and makes things easier for me I guess. Thanks again!

---
Remember, half the people you know are below average.

Also remember -- if the world didn't suck, we would all fall off.
Re: "Best" HE 06/12/2008 01:32 PM CDT
If you can find me in game (M'irss), or look for Ciressa at the trader tables in Riverhaven, you can get the 36 basties. Now I usally distroy the l/g/p f/f (HE) ones as I try for the uber p/g/l r/f (HE) or perfect l/g/l r/f ones. If there is a desire for the l/h/l r/f ones, I can make up a few. Those would go for 25 plats with th uber and perfects much higher. 2 or 3 times that actually. The heavy edged one would be high mod or low Well construction. The uber and Perfects are mod construction.

And no, I do not take orders for perfects, I just try to make them and if they come out, have them on sale with Ciressa, if I blow 1 grind they sell as ubers, if I blow 2 grinds, I remelt and try again. If you want one of those, I can start keeping a few for her to sell.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: "Best" HE 06/13/2008 05:24 PM CDT
I have a appraisal of the 40 stone Broadsword, and although Yamcer doesn't like its impact it has served me very well over the years, take the recommendation as you see fit.

>appr broad careful
An obsidian black broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the broadsword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the obsidian black broadsword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The obsidian black broadsword is made with metal.
You are confident that the obsidian black broadsword might weigh several tens of stones.
You are certain that the obsidian black broadsword is worth exactly 460 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
R>put broad on count
...wait 13 seconds.
R>put broad on count
You put your obsidian black broadsword on the counter.

Scrimmshaw hefts the obsidian black broadsword and puts it on the medium balance scale. He patiently adds small sacks of stones on the other side till the beam becomes exactly level.

Scrimmshaw squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The broadsword weighs about forty stones," and puts the broadsword on the counter.

You pay Scrimmshaw and take your broadsword off the counter.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: "Best" HE 06/13/2008 10:37 PM CDT
old reliable: swept-hilt falchion from SCC. I prefer it to over basties, it seems to connect with good hits more consistently.

Drachus - Interprovincial Gold Champion, Kaith Kirm 370 AV - Open Team Combat, Division 2
Re: "Best" HE 06/14/2008 06:28 PM CDT
>old reliable: swept-hilt falchion from SCC. I prefer it to over basties, it seems to connect with good hits more consistently.

Yep. A seriously underrated weapon.

If I were to spite my face, in my opinion, cutting off my nose would be a reasonably good start.
Re: "Best" HE 06/14/2008 08:48 PM CDT
to chime in a lil late here, but just wanna say bout the time this thread started i was lookin for a new HE weapon myself, cause i lost my last forged bastard sword (which was great, but not perfect)when i died. well, i ponied up 75 plat lirum for the perfect bastard sword from ciressa's table in haven and am lovin it. especially with the 2/3 rts on it.

~Artilius
Re: "Best" HE 06/24/2008 11:07 PM CDT
Swing the heaviest bastie you can swing.

~Player behind Korutu Rippentropp
Re: "Best" HE 06/25/2008 08:39 AM CDT
>Swing the heaviest bastie you can swing.

This is one, Korutu, on which I'll completely disagree with you until the day damage is changed in DR. To each his/her/its own.

________
________
Re: "Best" HE 06/27/2008 05:25 PM CDT
Swinging a 60 bastie at min rt shows a marked increase in damaging hits over swinging a 28, 36 or 50. Do what ya like though.

Even without doing the testing, if you can swing it at minimum roundtime and there might be a chance you're wrong and it will do more damage. Why wouldn't you do it?

Pascal's wager anyone?

~Player behind Korutu Rippentropp
Re: "Best" HE 06/27/2008 11:25 PM CDT
>Even without doing the testing, if you can swing it at minimum roundtime and there might be a chance you're wrong and it will do more damage. Why wouldn't you do it?

Because I'm as stubborn and set in my ways as you are.

Re: "Best" HE 06/28/2008 12:45 PM CDT
more weight = more damage.

Pummel for example.
Re: "Best" HE 06/28/2008 12:51 PM CDT
Pummel is fun with a 100 stone greatsword

Every broken enemy will know
That their opponent had to be invincible;
Take a last look around while you're alive,
I'm an indestructible Master of War!
~Disturbed: Indestructible, unofficial Barbarian Theme Song. YouTube it.
Re: "Best" HE 06/30/2008 10:21 PM CDT
I prefer speed. It is the result of training HE as primary from the very beginning with 13 second roundtimes.

Hence why I prefer Nisha short bow over capped short bows...

V.