Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/21/2007 06:40 PM CDT
Got myself one of Gash's 54 stone s/s basties, purchased through the Dragons Egg.

Now, I don't know much about the average strength of this new sword, compared to my old g/s 40 stone, well constructed one, except the RT off by one second.

I heave heard about the average strength swords breaking on one hit in the past, never has happened to me personally though.

I guess one could dance with critters using a well constructed sword ((to keep all those doubts (about an average strength weapon breaking at some point))...at bay)

And then actually quick kill critters with the average strength monstrosity.

With a 3 sec RT my old bastie needed about 5-7 swings to down a bristle back peccary, The good news is now with a 4 sec RT this new bastie needs 3-4 swings to down one. Thanks Dragons Egg!

~a satisfied customer
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/21/2007 10:44 PM CDT
The interesting thing is that you could have gotten a better bastard sword at 54 stones that was properly forged. It'd have more base damage than that overdusted thing.

________
2) Just because you don't LIKE Prydaen that play up the whole "I'm a Kitty Cat and I Dance Dance Dance" thing, doesn't mean they need to stop doing it.
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 04:41 AM CDT
Its funny how many people hate on that overhyped sword. To each their own...
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 07:50 AM CDT
>>The interesting thing is that you could have gotten a better bastard sword at 54 stones that was properly forged. It'd have more base damage than that overdusted thing.

Curious, but I've not seen any single handed weapon with more damage than "Severe Slice" at 54 stones. Would you care to elaborate on what exactly you're talking about? I'd definitelly be interested in buying a "properly forged" weapon if it meant attaining that kind of power at that kind of weight, all with a single handed weapon.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 08:37 AM CDT
Basties aren't single hand. I think a lot of people look down on over dusted weapons. 'Properly forged' weapons are not over dusted. I think when they mean over dusted it mixes like this..

1 Copper Slug 1 Tin Slug MIX
4 Dust, MIX MIX
4 Dust MIX MIX
Iron Bar MIX
4 Dust MIX
3 Dust MIX MIX

15 dust in a mix is quite a lot. This makes a very light BC claymore, but the construction (mod strong) is sucks for a claymore

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 09:48 AM CDT
>>Basties aren't single hand.

What? Bastard Swords are HE/2HE swappable, and the new mold that a few people seem to hate has Severe Slice in the single handed Heavy Edge mode.

__
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 09:55 AM CDT
>>What? Bastard Swords are HE/2HE swappable, and the new mold that a few people seem to hate has Severe Slice in the single handed Heavy Edge mode.

heh this is what I get for posting without my coffee.. sorry

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 10:42 AM CDT
<<Curious, but I've not seen any single handed weapon with more damage than "Severe Slice" at 54 stones. Would you care to elaborate on what exactly you're talking about? I'd definitelly be interested in buying a "properly forged" weapon if it meant attaining that kind of power at that kind of weight, all with a single handed weapon.

Your only looking at one component, slice. All components of a weapons (puncture, slice, impact) play a role in damage. A 54 stone bastard sword with great slice would have more impact than the severe slice bastard sword. This could allow the great slice bastard sword to do more damage then the severe slice.
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 10:55 AM CDT
Ahh ha, I see. I'll have to remember that next time I appraise a weapon, thanks.

__
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 11:31 AM CDT
I dunno how other people feel, but personally i consider balance and impact the most important stat on weapons. Hard to find a weapon with both of them. Most of my favorite HEs aren't forged, but old fest items. The original fest Schiavona has heavy slice, mod impact, and i believe poor balance. Crimson-handled axe is n/h/m/d/w...crappy balance, but hits like a ton of bricks. curved silvered falchions are l/h/f/f/r...i've always found weapons like this preferrable to forged broadswords with no impact.

If it has less than fair impact, i consider it a paperweight, not a weapon. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 12:07 PM CDT
>>I dunno how other people feel, but personally i consider balance and impact the most important stat on weapons.

I generally look at the "point total" of my weapons and decide from there. If grinding lets me get +10 slice by giving up -5 impact then it just may be worth it. It all depends.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 04:42 PM CDT
<<Your only looking at one component, slice. All components of a weapons (puncture, slice, impact) play a role in damage. A 54 stone bastard sword with great slice would have more impact than the severe slice bastard sword. This could allow the great slice bastard sword to do more damage then the severe slice.

From my use of the blade I find that it hits like a ton of bricks.

The argument about "it has high slice but other stats are low" is true, but the misunderstand I think it that some people believe that the jump from say fair to good is the same type of jump that can be felt from great to severe, which simply is not the case.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 06:30 PM CDT
<<The argument about "it has high slice but other stats are low" is true, but the misunderstand I think it that some people believe that the jump from say fair to good is the same type of jump that can be felt from great to severe, which simply is not the case.

Unless they've changed how weapon appraisals work without telling us, you're mistaken.

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/22/2007 08:54 PM CDT
<<Unless they've changed how weapon appraisals work without telling us, you're mistaken.

I'm just getting my infor from Gash, he's the forging whiz.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/23/2007 03:13 AM CDT
<<Unless they've changed how weapon appraisals work without telling us, you're mistaken.
<<I'm just getting my info from Gash, he's the forging whiz.>>

In my six years of experience with the forging system, I believe that the textual representation of the points of damage on weapons (puncture/slice/impact) is NOT linear, but exponential. I base my opinion off of the number of grinds that it takes to change the app on a blade and I know this has been done by MANY forgers before me, few of whom are still around. I've never actually sat down to prove this, but I believe that the following statement is true.
Let G(x,y) = the MAXIMUM number of grinds needed to go from damage app x to y (assuming x to y is possible).
Then G(poor,low) < G(low,fair) < G(fair,moderate) < G(moderate,heavy) < G(heavy,great) < G(great,severe) < G(severe,bone-crushing) < G(bone-crushing,devastating) < G(devastating,god-like)

An example of this would be grinding a scimitar (6 slug volume medium-edged weapon) from moderate slice to heavy slice - I have NEVER had to put more than 6 grinds EVER on a such a blade to get there (where it was possible to do). However, I have pounded out a 36-stone glaes claymore (12 slug volume two-handed edged weapon) which apped like this right off the anvil:

If the steel blade was finished right now, it appears as if it could do:
fair puncture damage
bone-crushing slice damage
moderate impact damage

The blade would be dismally balanced and reasonably suited for gaining extra attack power from your strength.

I put 16 (SIXTEEN) solid grinds on that edge and guess how much slice it had then? Just bone-crushing! I'm fairly confident that the damage app is very close to devastating, but with textual descriptions, it's just bone-crushing. Therefore, it can be said that G(moderate,heavy) < G(bone-crushing,devasting) by quite a bit, I think.

Perhaps the larger items require MORE grinding - after all, a claymore IS larger than a scimitar. I would guess that if G(moderate,heavy) = G(bone-crushing,devasting) then I would have hit devastating slice at 6 grinds, but no! If the number of grinds required increases with volume, then perhaps the claymore requires twice as many grinds to increase the app (it is, after all, exactly twice the volume/size). Even then, I should have hit devastating slice after 12 grinds, but no!

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this, in particular, Magdar, Drevid, or Mendasity. Perhaps GM Oolan would be kind enough to vaguely indicate how far off my statements are.

In short, I stand by my opinion - the damage apps on weapons are NOT linear - they are exponential.

- Savage Gash Breaknow
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/23/2007 06:24 AM CDT
Nicely said Gash. I might be wrong along with you, but thats exactly what I was thinking except you put it much more eloquently.

Drevid

Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/23/2007 07:56 AM CDT
I will say that in my experience from putting the CEC together that the lower ranges seem more compact than the upper ones. That is to say if we're making up numbers low is a "10 point" range while severe is "40 point" range.

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/23/2007 09:59 AM CDT
<<From my use of the blade I find that it hits like a ton of bricks.

I'm sure it does, I'm still curious as to how it compares to a bastard sword of equal weight, but great slice with some impact. If anyone wants to test it go kill 30 creatures with each sword and calculate the average number of swings to kill the creature. Shoot, if you posted every observation we could even do statistical analyses.
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/23/2007 10:26 AM CDT
In doing some research on the topic I came across this:

http://members.aol.com/zeiram666/homepage/DrawOops.html

I don't know if weapon statistics have changed since this little event (I don't think they have) but it would seem to indicate that everything from low-moderate is a 9 point range while everything from heavy-severe (where the samples end) is a 14 point range.

This would be in fact a linear increase, and not an exponential increase, which at the 60% increase in range would not explain the 100%+ increase in necessary grinds to exceed bone-crushing or severe. I would venture to guess that the increase in necessary grinds comes from a decrease in grind effectiveness at higher ranges. Which is to say, when grinding from fair to moderate, you may be doing something like 1.2, 1.1, 1.0, etc. whereas with severe to bone-crushing it may be 0.8, 0.75, 0.70, etc. To summarize, I believe not all grinds were created equal. As much as I hate to associate logic with DR since I'm usually proven wrong, it is logical that you would see a larger increase from a putting an edge on a blunted blade than making an already sharp blade even sharper.

Therefore a wise prince will seek means by which his subjects will always and in every possible condition of things have need of his government, and then they will always be faithful to him. --Niccolo Machiavelli, "The Prince"
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/24/2007 11:51 AM CDT
** 54 stone Gash bastie

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

* My old ship quest sword 45 stone basite

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

An etched bastard sword with a bone-shaped hilt is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the sword is reasonably balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

* You'll notice the difference in impact damage, as well as slice in the HE mode and after testing these two swords against many crits, I find the Gash one without a doubt hits better then the 45 stone. Obviously the slice damage and weight play a role here.

Now the 2 HE suprised me as they both hit about exactly the same, same damage reads, and same number of swings on average to kill a critt at my level. Again notice the difference on impact damage for 2 HE. I kinna think the weight offsets the impact damage decrease on this sort of test.

I get the same RT with both weapons now. ~shrug~

Again, I think it was worth the investment, and thats all that really matters.
Re: Gash's 54 stone bastard sword 07/25/2007 06:12 AM CDT
<<Yellowang1's post>>

Or that there's caps based on the template, such that a 36 stone claymore (the example cited by Gash), was grounded for as much slice (bone crushing) as the template allows.

Not a forger (yet), so take the rest of my post with a grain of salt.

Personally, I think that a grind is a grind, but that yes, the range of each level of each statistic, does vary as the level rises, as proven by that drawoops incident (which I read about and bookmarked years ago). That said, I think that the higher end ranges guessed on that site are a little off.

I'm curious about where one goes assuming they know the innate numbers to the weapon. Knowing a number of EXACT appraisals from the Draw Oops thing, you can forge weapons to figure out if indeed a grind is a grind. Then you can determine if you're hitting a cap.

For example, if you did the forge and compare thing and found that a grind is 1.5 points every grind, and it takes 30 points to get from the bottom of bone-crushing to devastating, and you do 21 grinds and it's still bone-crushing, there's a cap there somewhere in bone-crushing for whatever the item in question is.

FURTHERMORE, does knowing the exact numbers allow you to predict it's effectiveness in combat? If you have a 20P, 30S, 40I, does that hit harder/weaker/same as a 10P,50S/20I?

I'd love to play with the forging system, but:
1) My main is an Empath. Awesome mech, not so great in weapons.
3) Don't really have thousands of plat to spend to satisfy my curiosity here.
3) Forging Rewrite
4) Not willing to spend the effort to get a Barbarian up to find these things out, only for it to change via #3.
5) System is arguably buggy about some things and CERTAINLY buggy about all the rest.

PoKaeta