New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/05/2007 04:20 PM CDT
Just though I'd post these stats for Gash and Eeary. They have come up with a mix that gives us a 54 stone bastard sword with severe/severe on it. We are pricing them kind of high at The Dragon's Egg, though some people will want them, some will think it is a joke. But I promise you, if you use it, you will fall in love. Here are the stats:

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
The bastard sword has a bit of weight to it.

Again, the weight is 54 stones and isn't made of any special metals. If you'd like, you can order one from The Dragon's Egg. If you don't like it, I'm sure we'll hear about it within the hour.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/05/2007 09:30 PM CDT
At average construction, buyer beware. Don't take these blades into critters that have any chance of smashing weapons, like gargs, any ogres or any trolls.

War Hawk Maulem~

Read the Barbarian Seven!
http://tinyurl.com/gksan
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/05/2007 11:57 PM CDT
Agreed, don't take them into critters known for breaking blades.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 12:53 AM CDT
>Agreed, don't take them into critters known for breaking blades.

... or buy the sword. You'd be better off with a normally forged 54 stone bastard sword for 1/10 of the price.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 06:54 AM CDT
I'm just waiting for it to be fixed, same as the 'new and improved armor!' stuff was.
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 08:33 AM CDT
Average strength is the killer and I would not purchase that sword for 200 plat, maybe 20 plat for a mantle piece..

As of the other day my armor was still the same...Oolan will you be posting when the armor will be adjusted. Also, if you want to know how I made it you can contact me.

Crusader Taghz

Got fixed?
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 08:43 AM CDT
If you grind it less does the construction stay higher? what about the impact damage?

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 10:59 AM CDT
What's so bad about these blades? They sound very nice to me, and powerful.

Don't forget that DR-OOLAN is working on rewriting weapon damage so weapons aren't instantly destroyed, but are rather gradually damaged over time. This will also put items that are currently invincible(ones that have moderate/well/whatever construction or better) on a level playing field, so don't let that be your only cause for concern.

__
~Leilond, the one who is backtraining yet again and who is obsessed with power.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leilondsootherin.png
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 11:51 AM CDT
>>Average strength is the killer and I would not purchase that sword for 200 plat, maybe 20 plat for a mantle piece..

Gash and I have actually hit fairly sturdy but at slightly higher weight.

I'm using a 60 stone one (cause i've got the strength for it and I wanted more power ground into mine; it's fun to be a paladin with a huge shield :D ) and I agree with gimlias, I've fallen in love with mine.

I've compared my 60 to a capped 50 stone menda made:

my 60:
low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Menda's 50:

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the sparkling white sword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

You are certain that the sparkling white sword (Menda) is stronger than the onyx-hilted sword (Gash).
You are certain that the sparkling white sword is more balanced than the onyx-hilted sword.
You are certain that the sparkling white sword is a little less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the onyx-hilted sword.
You are certain that the sparkling white sword does about as much puncture damage as the onyx-hilted sword.
You are certain that the sparkling white sword does somewhat less slice damage than the onyx-hilted sword.
You are certain that the sparkling white sword does a little more impact damage than the onyx-hilted sword.

I remember comparing the discussed 54 stone severe/severe bastard sword to this blade as well and getting the same slice app but the 54 is ground for more balance so the balance and suited part was slightly different. I do have a 54 stone one in my vault but it is a prototype and wasn't ground as well as the ones now sold on the dragon's egg by Gash so it wouldn't be fair to compare Menda's 50 to my flawed 54 version.

Now here's something cool:
You sling a giant war mallet with a forge-welded head off from over your shoulder.

A giant war mallet with a forge-welded head is a two-handed edged pole-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the mallet is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the war mallet is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The war mallet is made with metal.
You are confident that the war mallet weighs about 72 stones.

You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword is a lot weaker than the war mallet.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword is a little more balanced than the war mallet.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword is less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the war mallet.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword does about as much puncture damage as the war mallet.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword does about as much slice damage as the war mallet.
You are certain that the onyx-hilted sword does a little less impact damage than the war mallet.

So needless to say, it is a REALLY fun weapon and Gash and I were freaking out when we discovered the right mix! Our love for the forge seemed to have come through with some interesting things.

For those of you interested in purchasing it, have a lot of fun though definitely be careful about the 54 stone construction. Though Gash and I will be working on increasing the construction sometime soon [cross your fingers for us, it is not easy at all], for now, it is average strength and just treat it like a croc shield and stay away from gargs, rock trolls (I believe), unarmed ogres, rock guardians, etc.
Whatever we all know to damage equipment.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/06/2007 12:36 PM CDT
> Though Gash and I will be working on increasing the construction sometime soon

What's the construction if you hilt without grinding?

>cross your fingers for us
Will do. :)

Keeper of the CEC
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/07/2007 10:45 PM CDT
I will be buying one of these myself asap. 200 plat is a steal for a basite of only 54 stones that apps like a rare metal save for construction. I don't plan to use it for hunting, I want it for tournies, pit spars, and spars in general. If I wanted a claymore I'd have a claymore already. I prefer the versatility of a bastie. I know both Gash and Eeary very well and only buy and sell their items for a reason. They always ask a fair price and are both devoted to their craft. I think they'll sell.
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/08/2007 01:45 AM CDT
Hanryu, if hilted without any grinding at all, it looks like this:

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are confident that the bastard sword weighs around 54 stones.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 10000 lirums.

Unfortunately, getting to severe slice on the HE side AND correcting the poor balance does eat away at the construction.

-Savage Gash Breaknow
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/08/2007 08:27 AM CDT
Thanks Gash. I tried several mixes, all with exactly 2.5%C and all came out at FS and poor balance on the HE side. Granted my HE FF is only 240ish and I'm a Ranger, but I've never see construction affected by FF. If it helps any all these mixes came out like this...

.5Sn* .3Pb* 1.2Fe* 1.5C"
2Fe* 3(<.1Ni*>) 1.5C"
.4Pb* <.1Sn*> 1.2Fe* .4Fe* 1.5C"
This is an unfinished steel blade for a bastard sword, and the steel itself is hard, somewhat flexible, and medium weight.
When it is completed, the material should provide a good point, a good edge, and awesome impact damage. It will have decent balance, good strength, and give awesome extra damage with great strength.
poor puncture damage
fair slice damage
low impact damage
You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is poorly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
low puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage
You are certain that the sword is poorly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the bastard sword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Keeper of the CEC
Re: New Severe/Severe Bastard Sword 07/08/2007 10:22 AM CDT

>>They always ask a fair price and are both devoted to their craft.

Hey, thanks RASSCAL1! More to come to armor, I'm sure.

Still loads of experiments to do for both Gash and I. :D

-Paladin Eeary Kakler