Great Slice? 06/26/2007 12:20 PM CDT
Can great slice be accomplished on a non-special metals broadsword? I have a bastard sword that has great slice on the HE side, but I'm wondering about a broadsword. If so, how's it turn out?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 12:24 PM CDT
I weep for the slightly more dull edge on my broadsword than my bastard sword.

A heavy steel bastard sword set with a lustrous dragon's blood amber pommel is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The bastard sword is made with metal.
The bastard sword feels pretty light.
You are certain that the bastard sword is worth exactly 125000 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
R>app broads
A leaf-bladed broadsword with a two-handed hilt is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

fair puncture damage
heavy slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the broadsword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the leaf-bladed broadsword is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

The leaf-bladed broadsword is made with metal.
The leaf-bladed broadsword feels pretty light.
You are certain that the leaf-bladed broadsword is worth exactly 25000 kronars.
R>comp sword with broadsword
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as strong as the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is about as balanced as the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You are certain that the bastard sword is somewhat less suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength than the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does somewhat less puncture damage than the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does somewhat more slice damage than the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You are certain that the bastard sword does somewhat less impact damage than the leaf-bladed broadsword.
You guess that the bastard sword weighs about the same as the leaf-bladed broadsword.
[Roundtime: 8 seconds]

Fuquois
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 12:26 PM CDT
Well I don't think this is special metals...

!H>appr broad
An obsidian black broadsword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
great slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the broadsword is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the obsidian black broadsword is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The obsidian black broadsword is made with metal.
You believe that the obsidian black broadsword probably weighs a few tens of stones.
You are certain that the obsidian black broadsword is worth exactly 414 dokoras.
You remain concealed by your surroundings, convinced that your appraisal of an obsidian black broadsword went unobserved.

Impressed into the metal is the image of a cracked skull with a blade protruding from the eye socket.

so, it's an old Gurt blade but not sure how special it is.

Rehlyn

You gesture at a gargantuan korograth.
A sheet of slippery rich amber ale-hued ice forms beneath a gargantuan korograth!
The gargantuan korograth refuses to fall.
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 12:55 PM CDT
You can hit great slice on a broadsword with normal metals at 40 stones, using a lot of dust.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 01:06 PM CDT
>using a lot of dust.

Does the excess end-dust (above 2.5%carbon) lead to easier grinding?

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
Keeper of the CEC
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 02:49 PM CDT
Generally. That's how folks achieve the G/S 28 stone bastie. Whatever you do, though, don't try to make sense out of why some things work in the forging system and some things don't. It's just a big mess, really.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Re: Great Slice? 06/26/2007 05:16 PM CDT
I dunno Fuquois, I'd use the broad over the bastie. These days I prefer impact if I've got at least heavy slice, maybe I fight too many things in heavy armor.

Samsaren