Broadsword 05/16/2006 03:22 PM CDT
anyone making the 40 stone great slice broadswords in the haven area?
Successor to my 21 stone Broadsword 11/17/2007 08:24 AM CST
About to minimize RT on my 21 stone broadsword and was looking at thedragonsegg at broadies and there are only two weights, 21 and 40 stone. Is it just not worth the forgers to forge between 21 and 40 or are forged Broadswords forged between 21 and 40 stones just not good?

And any suggestions for my next HE, gotta be below 30 plats...
Re: Successor to my 21 stone Broadsword 11/17/2007 09:21 AM CST
Broadswords can be made in the mid-30 stones (like 34) at l/h/f f/r.
I'd really recommend getting a great slice bastard sword at 28 stones. You'll have a better chance at having minimum RT. It generally appraises at (HE side) l/gr/p f/f.
If you are looking for more impact you can go with a 28 stone battle axe that should be p/h/f d/r but you won't have as decent balance to parry with.
If you can handle something in the 30 stone range then I'd recommend just getting a 36 stone bastard sword (doesn't have to be the perfect grind one) rather than a 34 stone broadsword--otherwise move up 7 stones and get the 28 great slice bastard sword.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Successor to my 21 stone Broadsword 11/17/2007 01:21 PM CST
All forged weapons and armor stats increase as you increase their weight (assuming the mix is perfect 2.5% carbon steel and the forger's skill doesn't change). But forgers love to play the same number game that all good merchants play.

You see, appraisal wording falls on number boundaries. So for example you might need need 40 slice to get heavy slice and you might need need 50 slice to get great slice. Well if a weapon has 44 slice it won't "appear" to be any better than one with 40, so you'll see them instead bump the weight and hope to sell more blades.

Using a 21 stone broadsword is really a bad idea if you can swing a 28 stoner with the same round times. The sweet spot for forging is 4-6 density (28 stones to 42 stones for broadswords). Any more or any less and you come out with a weapon containing less stats overall. You'll lose power and gain no balance if you go down from 4 density. You'll lose balance and gain no power if you go up from 6 density. There's a hair of slip in those numbers but generally speaking they hold true for both weapons and armor.

Just throwing some info out there in hopes it can help you make a more informed decision. It took me hundreds of hours cross-appraising things to understand how it all works a bit better :P

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: Successor to my 21 stone Broadsword 11/17/2007 01:56 PM CST
So, I probably can't swing a 40ish stone broadsword, probably get tired after a few swings. Crud.

So, go with a 28 stone great/severe slide bastard sword that is fairly strong. Is Fairly Strong prone to damage?
Re: Successor to my 21 stone Broadsword 11/17/2007 09:38 PM CST
I'd HIGHLY suggest a bastard sword like Eeary recommended. He makes some great ones.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"

"Why don't you roleplay a character who is NOT retarded? ~Maje