Prev_page Previous 1
Axe 05/09/2006 10:52 PM CDT
What're the stats on the axe?
Re: Axe 05/10/2006 09:00 AM CDT
I think that would depend on the axe in question.

Now lemme axe you a question...

~Dulcinia

If it was just a 3-hour tour, why did the Howells pack so much stuff?

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome..."
Re: Axe 05/10/2006 09:03 AM CDT
>I think that would depend on the axe in question.

I think, think mind you, they were referring to the swappable axe in the post immediately preceeding theirs... My initial thought was the same as yours, so I looked back a couple posts. Some people just don't understand how to use a message board (Reply to same subject OR quote the portion of the previous post if you are replying to it!)

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

You sense the Vigil spell bolstering your spirit, which should last for about zero roisaen.
Re: Axe 05/10/2006 09:38 AM CDT
Okay yeah I probably should have looked back. That was the only post visible to me at the time. So yeah I guess I need to learn to use a message board too. Sorry about that.

I'm axeless, so I can't help with the question.

~Dulcinia

If it was just a 3-hour tour, why did the Howells pack so much stuff?

[Meerc] "People are irritatesome..."
Re: Axe 05/10/2006 05:36 PM CDT
It appraises the same as the swappable axe from SCC.

>app axe careful

A double-headed battle axe with dragon-etched blades is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
no puncture damage
moderate slice damage
moderate impact damage

You are certain that the axe is dismally balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A double-headed battle axe with dragon-etched blades is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
great slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the axe is poorly balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the battle axe is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The battle axe is made with metal.
You are certain that the battle axe weighs 46 stones.
You are certain that the battle axe is worth exactly 294960 lirums.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.
>

You have the right to remain stupid. If you hold to that right, anything you say can and will be used against you to expose your stupidity.
-Arcane Elemental Barbarian of the 12" rock formation formerly known as Stonehenge, Rayje Bledd
Speaking of forged Battle Axes 07/03/2006 03:38 PM CDT
What is the going rate for a nice forged battle axe now?
Re: Speaking of forged Battle Axes 07/03/2006 04:20 PM CDT
Circle of the Serpent have them for 15 plat. When I actually decide to forge I sell my 28 stone ones for about half that.
Re: Speaking of forged Battle Axes 07/06/2006 12:56 AM CDT
I've had a heck of a time getting someone to make one. I think the circle finally got it done but it's been a stretch.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Forged Battle Axes... Just curious 07/10/2007 07:37 PM CDT
What kind of battle axes can be pounded out by a master smith? I know bastard swords are the king of HE, but I've always wondered what kind of axes could be pounded out. I imagine they are not all that great or I'd see em for sale on the trader tables... I also recall hearing somewhere that they can be a somewhat feasible option if you're a strength hog and pick up a real heavy axe...

~Caneghem Urathi
Re: Forged Battle Axes... Just curious 07/10/2007 07:48 PM CDT
They have horrible balance and have to be much heavier to achieve great slice than their counterparts of broadswords and basties. Two weapons I always try and dissuade people from buying are axes and longswords.

Drevid

Venic smiles as he sticks his copper bead in one nostril, covers the other one, and exhales forcefully, shooting the bead directly at Drevid!
Re: Forged Battle Axes... Just curious 07/10/2007 11:07 PM CDT
I whole-heartedly agree with Drevid. The only other weapon that I advise folks to stay away from are rapiers - no matter what we do, we cannot get damage apps on them like we can with scimitars and sabres. HOWEVER, Drevid has found a way to make rapiers that are excellently balanced at about 12-13 stones. Like my Severe/Severe basties, construction is an issue, but the achievement is still there and can be improved upon with time (maybe). I think I speak for a majority of forgers when I say that we have high hopes the Forging 2.0 rewrite will bring updated templates to existing weapons as well as an addition of many more items that can be forged. It would be nice to see a market that is not so dominated by scimitars, broadswords and bastard swords.

-Gash Breaknow
Re: Forged Battle Axes... Just curious 07/11/2007 10:39 AM CDT
I know at 28 stones you can get a p/h/l d/r well constructed - but that's just 1 grind above moderate slice.

50 stones IIRC you can get p/h/h d/r.

Above 50 you start getting some neat damage appraisals, but they're like Claymores and Katars in that they have virtually no balance.

70 stones I think can reach p/g/h d/w and that's 3 or 4 grinds into the Great range.

They are a nice RP or backtraining option, but if you're looking for strictly performance and have your heart set on a super-heavy weapon, a Bastard sword at the same weight will actually have a touch of balance and better overall performance.

________
"Just an observation, but you do not seem to know what you are talking about, and the things you say seem generally unintelligent."
Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/26/2007 09:35 AM CST
Has anyone ever made or seen a kertig battle axe? How does it appraise?

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/27/2007 04:05 AM CST
Never heard of one.. and I dont train HE, but I have a sudden urge to want to own one..
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/27/2007 12:36 PM CST
I've never seen one either. Kertig was fairly rare even when it was around. I don't see anyone wasting their kertig fists on a battle axe template.
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/27/2007 01:19 PM CST
<<I've never seen one either. Kertig was fairly rare even when it was around. I don't see anyone wasting their kertig fists on a battle axe template.>>

Would make a super cool weapon though.

Anyone have a normal, but capped, fored battle axe" How do they appraise?
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/27/2007 02:00 PM CST
>Anyone have a normal, but capped, fored battle axe" How do they appraise?

Depends entirely on the weight. The main appeal of battle axes in the impact damage that accompanies the slice. At 50 stones you can get heavy slice with heavy impact, at 70 stones (if memory serves me right) you can get severe slice with heavy impact. I'm not sure kertig would have such a great effect on battle axes - generally it works better on slice-focused weapons with a bit of balance (bastard swords, greatswords, two-handed swords, scimitars, etc.)

________
Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/27/2007 03:12 PM CST
heavy/heavy sounds pretty good. Do you know what the balance/suitedness is? Poor/Reasonable or Dismal/Well?

My bastard sword is low/great/poor fair/fair (HE). I'd guess that a low/heavy/heavy poor/reasonable would actually be a better weapon. Is 50 stones the minimum?
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/28/2007 11:54 AM CST
Dismal/Reasonable

________

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/28/2007 11:55 AM CST
>Is 50 stones the minimum?

28 stones is the minimum. p/h/f d/r, I believe.... now that I think about it, the 50 stoner might be d/w.

________

Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/28/2007 01:54 PM CST
Unfortunately, a 70 stone battle axe cannot hit severe slice even after grinding. The cap seems to be great-- even when using the method to make those severe/severe slice bastard swords. This is my 70 stone battle axe I play with. I just wanted all slice and all power:

A battle axe is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
great slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the axe is not balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the battle axe is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

I was just wondering if a kertig battle axe at somewhere around that weight would come out severe slice and great or severe impact ::drools::

just imagine:
A Kertig-alloy Battle Axe is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
severe slice damage
severe impact damage

You are certain that the axe is dismally balanced and is excellently suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the battle axe is well constructed, and is in pristine condition.

:D One can dream

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Re: Kertig Battle Axe Question 11/28/2007 02:13 PM CST
I'd prefer to use it on a bastard sword at that weight. It should have a little less impact, more slice, and a whole lot more balance.

________

Axes 01/25/2009 09:23 PM CST
I'm after an HE/HT axe - right now I've got a dull iron hurling axe from black goblins, and it's decent but the stats are nothing like my bastie... is there anything better available?

Yes, it has to be an HE/HT axe of some kind. Anyone got suggestions?

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is generally considered to have been a bad move.
Re: Axes 01/25/2009 09:41 PM CST
Yes. There are a number of hurling axes out there. There were 5 at the last fest. They are all 75 stone (like the dull iron one from black gobs) but the stats are better.

Dull Iron Hurling Axe:
Low/Mod/Fair; Poor/Reasonable; Fair construction; 75 stone

Every Other Hurling Axe:
Low/Heavy/Mod; Poor/Reasonable; Mod construction; 75 stone

I have at least 6 different hurling axes that all appraise identical. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to buy any extras, just 1 of each, or I'd offer to sell you one, but I'm sure you could find one at the bazaar or something. For reference, here's a list of a few that I know have the better appraisal.

duel-edged hurling axe with an ironwood handle
double-headed hurling axe with a bloodwood handle
double-headed hurling axe with a mammoth tusk handle
double-headed hurling axe with a silverwood handle
jagged double-headed hurling axe with a bone handle
blued-steel hurling axe with a deeply serrated edge

Re: Axes 01/25/2009 09:52 PM CST
I did see one of those on a table, but didn't grab it... it was the duel-edged one, which I typo'd in-game (should be dual).

If anyone has one of these, I'm interested in (in this order) the jagged double-headed, the bloodwood handle, and the blued-steel.

Thanks for the help!

In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is generally considered to have been a bad move.
Re: Axes 01/25/2009 10:54 PM CST
I have them.

I play Serchah. My Aim is xxsercxx

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"

Reene:I want telekinetic striptease
Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/05/2009 01:35 PM CST
Hello,

I have two forged HE weapons, a battle axe and a bastard sword, and I'm trying to better understand how to compare and choose the "better" of my weapons taking into consideration my stats and each weapon's appraisal.

Which of these two weapons would you recommend based their appraisals and my stats and why?

<<Note: both are similar weight, RT, and drain on fatigue>>

What I Guess:

I'm currently under the impression, for whatever reason, that when I attack with a weapon that all of its damage properties take effect (puncture/slice/impact) ... so the weapon that generally has higher appraisal overall in those categories is better..?? Maybe not... that's why I'm posting =) But if so, I'd think the battle axe is better...

But I've also heard that the suitability and balance of a weapon also make a difference -- I'm just not sure how much... which is another reason why I'm not sure which of these two weapons is "right" for me. But if so, then maybe the bastard sword is better...

Here are my relevant stats and the appraisals of each weapon. Thanks for your help!

Strength: 30
Stamina: 30
Agility: 20
Reflex: 20

A bastard sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

low puncture damage
severe slice damage
low impact damage

You are certain that the sword is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

A battle axe is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

poor puncture damage
great slice damage
heavy impact damage

You are certain that the axe is dismally balanced and is well suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/05/2009 01:46 PM CST
With your stats, I would choose the axe for sheer destructive power.

Keep in mind that this is with present stats, not considering future training.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/05/2009 02:02 PM CST
Easiest answer -

If you're fighting against a critter that can parry, use the bastard sword. The balance on the axe will make it near impossible to get through parry if you're hunting at-level.

Anything else - use the axe. Evasion is easy to get past.

On the receiving end - if you're trying to train parry, use the sword. If you're in evasion/shield stance, use the axe.
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/06/2009 06:46 PM CST
Thanks for the replies, that really helps!

Couple things:

<<If you're fighting against a critter that can parry, use the bastard sword. The balance on the axe will make it near impossible to get through parry if you're hunting at-level.>>

I never thought about the balance playing a part of whether I could hit the enemy or not. How does that factor in?

<<Anything else - use the axe. Evasion is easy to get past.>>

I havn't fought any humanoids that can parry, so I've had real fun demolishing vines and serpents in various places. =)

<<On the receiving end - if you're trying to train parry, use the sword. If you're in evasion/shield stance, use the axe.>>

I guess this is so I can maintain my own balance then? A badly balanced weapon causes me to lose my balance easier whether I'm attacking OR parrying?
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/06/2009 09:42 PM CST
Weapon balance factors into your ability to parry and your ability to get past a parry or shield block.
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/18/2009 12:00 AM CST
>Weapon balance factors into your ability to parry and your ability to get past a parry or shield block.

Sorry, untrue.

Balance factors into a) how suited it is to parry, and b) how much your agility boosts your to hit.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/18/2009 02:15 AM CST
<<Sorry, untrue.

What was said was correct. Your statement is just the specific bonus as opposed his statement of the general, observable effect.

-Evran

Crackling with unspent rage since 386A.V.
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/18/2009 11:45 AM CST
Not that Caraamon would know. I don't think he uses anything better balanced than what, poorly? =p
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/19/2009 02:15 AM CST
An iron-capped war club crafted from a large femur is a heavy blunt melee-ranged weapon.
no puncture damage
no slice damage
severe impact damage
You are certain that the club is fairly balanced and is reasonably suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the war club is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

Magic's Death Caraamon Makdasi,
Gor'Tog Barbarian
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/26/2009 08:45 AM CST
>>Balance factors into a) how suited it is to parry, and b) how much your agility boosts your to hit.

You forgot that it also causes the roundtime equation to be adjusted. If there is a large discrepancy between your agility and strength using a balanced weapon will cause you to have more roundtime then an equally weighted but poorly balanced one, if your stats favor strength.

Something to that affect anyways.

How in the Maker's name do you manage to be constantly drunk? Are we even carrying that much alcohol with us?

-Alister, Dragon Age
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/29/2009 05:32 PM CST
Yamcer,

>>Which of these two weapons would you recommend based their appraisals and my stats and why?

It depends on the type of creature and whether or not they are armored (both natural armor and physical armor).

I noticed in Theren while fighting Fleshreapers that my 70 stone bastard sword (same appraisal as the one in question, severe slice, low impact (HE MODE)) was landing light to good hits unblessed again this creature. The creatures wasn’t able dodge or parry my hits but because they were so heavily armored it was very frustrating trying to kill these things. I was able to get my hands on a 72 stone Battle Axe (great slice, heavy impact) and was obliterating these creatures left and right. I never asked for my weapon to be blessed again.

My battle axe was practically ignoring that armor that was preventing my bastard sword from slashing into and was also throwing the target off balance (i.e.: leaning over backwards, staggering to the ground...etc). But compared to my defenses, while holding the axe I noticed a lot more hits coming in than before holding my fairly balanced bastard sword. The bastard sword allowed me to keep great defensive capability but it was like swinging around a razor sharp paper cutter as opposed to the heavy impact battle axe that allowed me to crush through the targets armor and inflict great damage.

Since my tests I always carry both a battle axe and my bastard sword. The Bastard Sword for soft squishy creatures and the battle axe for the more rigid, undead, stone or metal creatures (yes even Paladins). It's like golf, you need to bring your clubs and choose one for the appropriate for the shot.

Regarding your stats. I think carrying and use of this heavy of weapons might be a little too much for practical use for your stats. But I do believe that with more training and spending of TDP's you’re not far from best utilizing these weapons for their awesome destructive purposes. I'm only saying this because of the Roundtimes. But if your fine with the RT and Stamina hit then I'd say go with it.

Recap: The bastard sword will allow greater defensive utilization from your character (both with Parry and Evasion due to the fair balance); the battle axe will increase your ability to blast through heavily armored enemies at the expensive of some defensive ability. Bring both with you and use each one for different enemy types.

Keep working that Agility / Strength / Stamina!

>>I'm currently under the impression, for whatever reason, that when I attack with a weapon that all of its damage properties take effect (puncture/slice/impact)...

They do, but in a lot of ways they affect you more when you aren’t attacking (allowing you to maintain and get into a better balance faster, or maintain or become overwhelming of your opponent)...

>>So the weapon that generally has higher appraisal overall in those categories is better..?? Maybe not... that's why I'm posting =) But if so, I'd think the battle axe is better...

Like I wrote about above, it really depends on the situation and the defensive suitability you’re looking for.

>>But I've also heard that the suitability and balance of a weapon also make a difference -- I'm just not sure how much... which is another reason why I'm not sure which of these two weapons is "right" for me. But if so, then maybe the bastard sword is better...

Like I wrote about above, you could have the ability to hit a certain creature with your bastard sword but because of that low impact only cause nicks and scrapes while not taking any damage. With your battle axe you have a greater chance of being hit (in my opinion and knowledge of weapons) but your hits will cause far greater damage thus killing the creature quickly. So other than looking cool, Id only use your battle axe on the heavier armored creatures that you’re willing to take a defensive loss on. When I train my defenses I always have my bastard sword out, dancing with creatures holding a battle axe won't have the outcome you expect unless you have the shear skill to stay safe :)

I'd say realistically there isn't to use a battle axe effectively with squishy creatures other than looking freaking awesome. But the bastard sword might be a better choice for you until you find some heavily armored creatures that you want to kill much quicker.

Happy Hunting.
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/29/2009 05:43 PM CST
Hmm- I think I'll obtain a battle axe!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/29/2009 08:07 PM CST
Thanks FORTISSABROK for the very thorough answer. That really helps a lot!
Re: Battle Axe vs. Bastard Sword 12/30/2009 10:09 AM CST
>>Hmm- I think I'll obtain a battle axe!

There's a high-end heavy slice / heavy impact axe out there that weighs 67 stones, try to get you hands on one of those.

Or you can always go the 70-72-ish stone range (I think it's 72 stones) and get the great slice upgrade.

Just remember you will need about 50-55 strength or so for minimum roundtime.
Prev_page Previous 1