Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 08/22/2014 12:56 AM CDT
Howdy folks.

Over in Test I have released some new mechanics to test. These are the Fumble and Recover mechanics.

Fumble

In normal combat the ratio of OF to DEF determines your to-hit chance. You them roll on this to see if you hit or miss. Now your weapon balance will determine a chance to fumble for each attack, or miss where you otherwise would have landed a hit. When this happens a new message string will be appended onto the "You <attack> an <enemy> with your <weapon>..." Here are the current messages I have added for this:

but misstep and fumble the attack
but fumble at the last moment
and struggle to find your footing
and struggle with your body position
and waste any advantage you had
failing to heft the weapon properly
momentarily losing your grip
only to have a wrist cramp interrupt you
blundering control of the weapon
and slip up the follow-through

Recover

Your weapon balance also adds a chance of turning a miss into a hit. This is called the recover chance. You cannot recover from a fumble, and fumbles are checked first. When a recover happens, you also get an added message as follows:

and recover from a near miss
and recover at the last moment
and recover before it is too late
utilizing the weapon's balance to your advantage
redirecting the weapon with ease
and successfully redirect the attack
with a successful follow-through
fighting through a cramped wrist
hefting the weapon with ease
momentarily taking the advantage

Info

A reasonably balanced weapon has equal chance to fumble or recover in a situation where you capped the to-hit roll. But things don't get real bad until you go below poorly balanced.

The numbers are still subject to change. I spent a few nights working up what I thought was reasonable, but I need your feedback to get it homed in. A perfectly balanced weapon will fumble 1/4th as much as a reasonably balanced weapon, and recover at least twice as often. Similarly, a weapon with no balance can expect to fumble much more often and rarely recover.

New messaging

Test also has several new attack skill levels and a dozen new messages or so.

Things like .... Moving with dominating grace, you slice a scimitar at a goblin.

Please give me feedback. It should allow for more variety on the low end, and the highest end messages should be more difficult to obtain.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Fumble and Recover, and Messaging 09/20/2014 02:23 PM CDT
Howdy folks. In a few minutes I will start rolling the new fumble and recover mechanics out to Prime. Please let me know what you think, and remember the messaging will not appear if you have changed combat messaging to brief.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes