Combat 3.0: HELP 02/06/2012 04:49 PM CST
Heyo!

I previously posted that I would begin sharing more details of the new combat system during the coming days. Here is the first of many upcoming posts that I hope will give folks a better idea where we are going with Combat 3.0, and what better place to start than with Combat Help 3.0.

Before anyone asks, most of the various new "traits" listed in help, such as how fast the attack style is, or how accurate it is, or the impact on your defenses...most of that is not new stuff. It has just always been invisible to you. With this new help system, you can now see some of the pros and cons of each attack type.

>slice help

Slice launches an attack against an enemy.

SLICE Attack enemy already engaged, or default to new.
SLICE <enemy> Attack indicated enemy.

SLICE HELP Basic HELP
SLICE HELP FULL Expanded HELP
SLICE HELP LIST This will list other valid combat options

>slice help full

Slice launches an attack against an enemy.

SLICE Attack enemy already engaged, or default to new.
SLICE <enemy> Attack indicated enemy.

SLICE HELP Basic HELP
SLICE HELP FULL Expanded HELP
SLICE HELP LIST This will list other valid combat options

* Detailed Information *
Slice is a damage dealing maneuver.
Slice tends to be a somewhat fatiguing maneuver.
Slice tends to be balance neutral. Attacking again too soon can make this worse.
Slice is a reasonably paced maneuver, but heavy or unbalanced weapons can slow the attack further.
Slice is as accurate as most maneuvers, and is best suited for slice weapons and least suited for puncture weapons.
Slice temporarily penalizes all defenses, but is best suited to parry defenses and least suited to both evasion and shield defenses.

>slice help list

Common Combat Verbs:
Attack | Thrust | Lunge | Slice | Chop | Sweep | Feint | Jab | Draw | Slam | Pummel | Parry | Block | Retreat | Dodge | Weave | Circle | Grapple | Tackle | Shove | Punch | Claw | Gouge | Kick | Elbow | Slap | Bite | Butt | Swing | Bash | Knee | Bob

And for comparison...

>attack help full

ATTACK

The ATTACK verb is one of many verbs associated with combat. Attack is designed to be a perfectly average attack, with no particular strengths or weaknesses. While it is good for almost any situation, there is almost always a better option for a specific weapon or specific situation, so once you become more accustomed to combat you might want to investigate other options.

Attack launches an attack against an enemy.

ATTACK Attack enemy already engaged, or default to new.
ATTACK <enemy> Attack indicated enemy.

ATTACK HELP Basic HELP
ATTACK HELP FULL Expanded HELP
ATTACK HELP LIST This will list other valid combat options

* Detailed Information *
Attack is a damage dealing maneuver.
Attack tends to be a fatiguing maneuver.
Attack tends to be balance neutral. Attacking again too soon can make this worse.
Attack is a reasonably paced maneuver, but heavy or unbalanced weapons can slow the attack further.
Attack is as accurate as most maneuvers, and is equally suited to puncture, slice, and impact weapons.
Attack temporarily penalizes all defenses, but is equally suited to evasion, parry, and shield defenses.

In addition, appraising weapons will list at least 3 basic styles best suited for that weapon's stats.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams