Test Instance: Fatigue Part 1 06/27/2009 06:38 AM CDT
Heyo!

The first round of fatigue tweaks are now live in the Test instance.

IMPORANT

This is only part of the updates. There is more fatigue-related modifications coming, and there will unquestionably be tweaks.

Let me repeat that.

This is only part of the updates. There is more fatigue-related modifications coming, and there will unquestionably be tweaks.

I want to emphasize this because I do not want anyone to get the impression this is the finished system. It is just a step along a much longer path. In order to get combat as fine-tuned as possible, I am going to need to release things in small pieces so I can make sure each piece is working correctly before it gets tied into 193412398543 (or so) other pieces.

ALSO IMPORTANT

When you first log in, type FATIGUE immediately. This will get your fatigue pool converted to the new format. If you do not, the world will not end, but you may get some unusual results the first time you try doing something that costs fatigue.

Details

Actually, for this particular round of tweaks, I am not going to give many details because I want folks to try to figure out what is going on without any bias or pre-conceived ideas -- but remember the current tweaks are combat only! The type of feedback I need for this is best served by PAFO. A few notes and hints may be in order, however.

(1) The main thing I am looking for in testing is how quickly you lose fatigue in melee combat, and how the recovery rate works. Without Zephyr, Lilt, etc, I might add. Is it playable? Recovery too fast, too slow? Costs too high, too low?

(2) The fatigue pools are much larger now. Only combat has been fully updated to take advantage of this, so don't bother testing fatigue from climbing, swimming, spells, and so on. The results will be meaningless.

(3) Spellcasting fatigue has been temporarily patched so that it is not totally off the charts (it is percent-based in the live game, and 10% of 50 fatigue doesn't take quite as long to recover as, say, 10% of 2000 fatigue). This is not and will not be the final version of spellcasting fatigue. It's just to make magic playable during testing.

(4) I mentioned this would be mostly PAFO. In order to forestall panic, a hint or two -- there are ways available to all players (ie not spells, abilities, etc) to reduce the fatigue costs, and ways to improve the recovery rate. Again, for the sake of testing please do not use spells like Zephyr, Lilt, or Refresh when trying to test fatigue in combat. They are not converted yet and will just give meaningless results.

(5) I also mentioned in the preview post that some of the penalties for fatigue will be going down or be removed. As of this time, there is one such change now in the test instance. I'll leave it to you guys to see if you can figure out what has changed, but I'll nudge you in the right direction -- it ain't necessarily over when you think it should be over anymore.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford