Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 11:10 AM CST
> http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Barbarians/General%20Discussions%20-%20Barbarians/view/3809

I've been thinking about this for a bit, but I think that all the work being put into maneuvers and analyze might be a way to incorporate some offhand/dual wield abilities. I think it might be good to brainstorm some ideas to flesh out the system, because offhand needs some help or a polite shooting behind a barn somewhere.

I wish I was one of the people who could think up full lists of ideas, but I'm not so I'll take a page from Sterling Archer and say, "My plan is to crowdsource a plan".
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 01:29 PM CST
I've been thinking about dual wield as well. I like your idea of adding maneuvers and special attacks.

If dual wield is going to be a popular thing and worth dev time to polish, I'd love to see a setup where:

A) no arm-worn shields
B1) a "chaotic" parry chance (you parry extra good with 2 weapons or your 2 weapons get in the way of each other and your parry sucks, agility and skill reduces)
-or-
B2) a dual wield stance where you can tweak extra parry vs. extra damage (do I want to use that second sword as a blocking piece or do i want to attack with it?) Having this be a dynamic stance that changes based on last attack (like balance) would be AWESOME.
C) bonus damage

Basically, more accurate to what it's like wielding two swords.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 04:36 PM CST
>>A) no arm-worn shields

This would likely make dual wielding unusable for most people. You'd be mauled by ranged users at some point if not using a shield. Realistic, but its not as much fun for dual wielders. I am going to add a few maneuvers just for dual wielders that give a bonus to parry, bonus to hit, bonus to damage. You can cycle them into your routine every minute or so and increase your damage output without having to SLICE LEFT, SLICE RIGHT, etc.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 06:34 PM CST
A) Is kindof ridic. With no shield on, Gort could apoc you with a sewing needle from orbit. 'Tis the nature of the 3.0 beast, m'fraid.

I think melee and certain brawling should both be useable at once. No reason you can't knock someone off balance after the RT from swinging a blade, though it would definitely have a cooldown with it - or maybe a rechargeable pool you expend or something.

Best direct example of this would be the fight between Hector and Achilles in Troy.

IMO, weapon skills in DR are too modulated. There are natural combos that complement each other.

Just food for thought.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 06:51 PM CST
Although it would make sense to have some offhand combo's I really don't care much for combo's, and would like to see some use (besides through analyze) that would have some benefit. Not sure how it would work as of yet, not complaining, just throwing my opinion out there.

I wouldn't mind throwing double throwing blade stacks at once though :) Granting they become forgeable and are feasible which hasn't seemed to be the case lately.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/04/2013 08:43 PM CST
>>There are natural combos that complement each other.

How would that work without returning to combos of the 2.0 era?

Any combo that exists would naturally be the "best" way to hunt and everyone would just cycle it over and over.

Combos also don't lend themselves to being reactionary. If you get stunned halfway through, it messes everything up. There is no way to recover via a combo.

Round time is woven into about 50,000 lines of combat code. I wouldn't be able to allow brawling while in "RT" without a major time investment and a lot of creative thinking. Even then the engine just gets in the way.

I am still pondering ways of making shield-less combat more viable. Mathematically the current combat system has drawbacks that aren't easily correctable.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 04:47 AM CST
<<I am still pondering ways of making shield-less combat more viable. >>

Let us PARRY incoming missiles! Makes parry more viable and shield-less combat more viable. The amount of defense from parry vs. missile weapons does not have to = the protection of shields to make this viable.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 07:35 AM CST
I'm still a fan of auto smart-defense. You have a shield and sword, you parry when needed or block when needed automatically. Like RL ya know.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 08:45 AM CST
I'm agreeing here, an offset ranged block bonus with two swords out would make dual wield viable vs. ranged. Shield should be the best ranged defense, but dual wielding parry + evasion can be close (I know this smacks of 2.0 regression, but it's really the most logical option)

In regards to combos, I agree that multi-attack roundtimes are a bad idea. I think the special maneuvers (something besides slice left) is the exactly right way to go.

Dual-weapon attacks should do more damage, and leave you more vunerable to counter attacks vs melee.

Some spitballs:

A) As an option vs ranged, if you can get into melee against them, have one/some/all of the special attacks give roundtime or distract aiming

B) Look at tweaking charge as another means to deal with ranged.

C) Buff the crap out of shield vs. ranged snapshots and bring evasion up to shield's current levels vs ranged (wee!)

D) Add a special maneuver that can only be preformed in pole range. Combo of dropping a shield (into your container since we can't realistically just drop a shield and not worry about losing it forever) and pulling out a second weapon, shifting STANCE to drop shield into parry or evasion, CHARGE your opponent, GRAPPLE your opponent, knock them down, take their bow, break it, throw the remains at them for a stun chance, then double slice to the neck.

Yeah that last one got carried away.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:06 AM CST
Gonna GvG QQ over Weapon prime Offense and Weapon Prime Defense.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 07:51 PM CST
>>I'm still a fan of auto smart-defense. You have a shield and sword, you parry when needed or block when needed automatically. Like RL ya know.

Why ever parry if you have a shield?

How does this help people who want to avoid using a shield like ranged users and dual wielders?

Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 07:53 PM CST
So if we allow parry to block ranged attacks, what purpose does shield serve? Say we give parry a 20% penalty. Is it not just easier for many Guilds to train Parry up another 20% of ranks or use a parry booster? This was kind of the default for my Warrior Mage. No shield - awesome, but that doesn't make good balance sense.

What happens if someone uses a DFA spell on you? Do we let parry try to stop it?

Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 08:36 PM CST
>So if we allow parry to block ranged attacks, what purpose does shield serve?

Shield has the 'I blocked this by random chance' thing (...actually, does it still?), doesn't have to balance offensive and defensive stats, doesn't rely on a secondary skill for effectiveness, potentially cannot be disarmed (otherwise restricted to brawling parry).

>This was kind of the default for my Warrior Mage. No shield - awesome, but that doesn't make good balance sense.

This has not been my experience. Workable, maybe, but definitely not awesome. And it hasn't very workable for most of the decade. My shield-eschewing war mage has always been functionally defenseless against players and those freaking wir dinegos everyone loves to use in invasions. (I hate them. I hate them so much.) Not that she isn't badly trained and I'm not awful at DR, but still...

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 08:45 PM CST
I think Hax said it best. If you give people the ability to parry missile then guilds like barbarians get the best of both worlds, prime offense and defense, while other guilds that are armor / weapon tert get screwed royally. Some of those guilds like MM's get DFA spells that are designed specifically for the purpose of exposing those weaknesses.

I don't mind the idea about smart defenses, at this point everybody uses shield, and if they are a melee using person they still most likely have a shield on their arm while holding a weapon anyway. Might actually be a good use for dual wield, actually make dual wield attack with 2 weapons with normal attack power but at the expense of locking out shield usage. For instance a barb for example would be pretty freakin spectacular granted they could get close and land a few hits, say, 3 attacks that would actually be 6 hits at full power. Obviously the second hit per would be off the offhand skill, but if you kept offhand to the same level as your main weapon or close it would be doable.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 08:49 PM CST
The problem is that we just have "defenses". They need to be specialized.

If you got rid of stances (which are silly anyway), and made the attack type determine which defense was used it would give all 3 meaning again, and could make spell types even better.

Target Spell X is versus evasion, but Targeted spell Y is versus Parry.

Ranged attacks are -P% against a shield, but +Q% against parry. If someone wants to try and parry an arrow, more power to 'em.

Melee attacks could be +Y% against a shield, but -Z% against parry. Or some combination thrown in with evasion,

Then make nifty feats where different guilds get nifty things like thieves can parry arrows with dual wield daggers, and rangers can parry with bows...

I don't know, but as long as it's just two defenses against offensive factor, evasion/shield are going to be the clear choice.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 08:53 PM CST
Just to add something, back in the day Evasion was king and the only defense you REALLY needed. You make parry block missile and melee attacks and it just bring things closer to that point again.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:06 PM CST
IMO I'd love to just have a stance set for melee attacks and a stance set for missile attacks.

AKA:
>stance
When facing melee attacks...
You are currently using 90% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 76% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 20% of your weapon parry skill.
When facing missile attacks...
You are currently using 100% of your evasion skill.
You are currently using 86% of your shield block skill.
You are currently using 0% of your weapon parry skill.
You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.
Last Combat Maneuver: Dodge

Then I could do something like STANCE MELEE CUSTOM and STANCE MISSILE SHIELD or whatever to set my melee to my custom preset and missile to my shield preset.

Sure, for the time being it means most people wouldn't have any parry slotted for their missile attacks, but at least it makes wanting to use parry in combat where missile attacks may sometimes happen not a waste of stance points. In the future, when parry may have a bigger purpose in missile range combat, you could always choose to have your missile stance set to incorporate some parry.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:13 PM CST
>> How would that work without returning to combos of the 2.0 era?

Weapon combos, as in - fighting with 2 weapons at once. Some weapons go together better than others. I didn't mean combat combos.

>> Say we give parry a 20% penalty. Is it not just easier for many Guilds to train Parry up another 20% of ranks or use a parry booster?

No. Gort has the highest Parry in Prime and even at a 10% Penalty, he still has more Shield ranks. It doesn't really help Barbs much because they have both in their SoI - unless they specifically did not train Shield. But that's the same for anyone who didn't(tons of Thieves)

Honestly, it's most helpful to people who are armor terts/not weapon terts - the gap between secondary-tert is much larger than primary-secondary.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:20 PM CST
< No. Gort has the highest Parry in Prime and even at a 10% Penalty, he still has more Shield ranks. It doesn't really help Barbs much because they have both in their SoI - unless they specifically did not train Shield. But that's the same for anyone who didn't(tons of Thieves)

That may be true, but if it was allowed than I doubt any barbarian would slack on parry. With the new defense system btw there's no reason why a barbarian shouldn't keep parry moving along with other defenses at the same rate. In that case parry would easily surpass shield after a time.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:39 PM CST
>> That may be true, but if it was allowed than I doubt any barbarian would slack on parry. With the new defense system btw there's no reason why a barbarian shouldn't keep parry moving along with other defenses at the same rate. In that case parry would easily surpass shield after a time.

I never slacked on Parry with Gort, it's always been his highest skill. The difference in learning rate from higher ranks prevents Parry and Shield from growing too far apart. Being that Gort has close to 30 skills over 900, I can tell you from experience that the lower skills catch up faster than the higher skills pull ahead.

But it wouldn't matter if Parry did pass Shield - it would be taking a penalty in effectiveness of probably 10% or better. You could only make effective use of no more than 90% of those ranks which would not be a substantial difference in the long run.

There's no reason someone couldn't just focus on Parry and ignore Shield, but why would one stop training Shield? Besides, Parry is a pain in the ass to train anymore. Arm worn shields are 'set it and forget it'. Parry requires that you pay attention to what's in your hand.

Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 09:56 PM CST
>>>>I'm still a fan of auto smart-defense. You have a shield and sword, you parry when needed or block when needed automatically. Like RL ya know.

>>Why ever parry if you have a shield?

Because parry is better at parrying right? so given even ranks in shield and parry, if someone swings a sword at you you would use parry because it would give a higher Defensive score against the incoming attack. If a ranged attack came in, you would use shield because it would give a higher DF score. (the parry score in this situation would be really low).

I just think if you have a shield out, or a sword, our awesome ninja characters would use what works best.

>>How does this help people who want to avoid using a shield like ranged users and dual wielders?

That's a good question! I would probably do a ranged parry at a horrible disadvange of like 20% (like you mentioned earlier), but if you duel wield that disadvantage is cut down to 5-10%. Dual weild would also give a % bonus to parry above what normal parry does.

So you have different stances based on what you are carrying:

just shield: Bonus to deflecting ranged attacks, average or worse at deflecting melee attacks.

just single parry: Bonus to parry, hard 20% negative to missile. This would be the worse stance, but most people have arm worn shields so would only happen when someone is using hand held shield and thier shield is knocked out of their hands for the MOST part.

shield on arm and weapon in right hand: Best of both worlds, average shield defense, good parry defense.

shield in left hand, weapon in right hand: most effective defense because shield works better hand held, but you run the risk of dropping a shield and falling back to just parry mentioned above.

weapon in left hand, weapon in right hand: 10% hit to ranged parry, 10% bonus to parry (or something similar). It's basically an offset of the best of both worlds stance.

combine parry and shield stance into one stance called defending, so people can still lower or raise their Def factor if they want to

-- The other option is what Shadowchief mentioned, make dual wield still have the 20% hard penalty but give it 20% offensive boost just for being in that stance. So it's like a choice, got your opponent on the ropes switch to dual wield and dominate.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/05/2013 10:20 PM CST
Since I just had some random ideas pop into my head while reading this thread, here goes:

There are three basic defenses, Evasion, Shield, Parry. In any given situation, two of those defenses will be superior to the third.

My suggestion is to get rid of stances entirely. There was a time when they didn't exist, and I think it's a layer of complication we really don't need. When an attack is made against a character, let the engine determine which two defenses are the superior combination, and contest those against the attack in whichever configuration is most beneficial to the defender.

For training purposes we could retain the DODGE, PARRY and BLOCK maneuvers in order to modify it a bit, forcing the secondary of the two auto-selected defenses to always be set to that defense. This allows someone with Parry far in advance of their Shield, to train Shield by setting themselves to BLOCK in situations where Parry + Evasion might always be mechanically superior for them. There would need to be a further (fourth) command added to toggle this manual-control feature off.

This answers a few of the questions you've asked in response to others' suggestions...

>>Why ever parry if you have a shield?

A) Because it's mechanically superior to shield blocking for that attack, or B) Because you want to use it in order to train the skill.

>>How does this help people who want to avoid using a shield like ranged users and dual wielders?

In their given situations, their shield skill is likely to be penalized anyway due to the nature of their combat style, training regime, or use of a PARRY setting to avoid contesting their shield unless it's somehow still mechanically superior to Evasion vs. that attack. Obviously if someone isn't equipped with a shield either held or worn, it becomes an instant non-issue, as that defense will never be mechanically superior.

There are likely holes in my logic here since this is stream of consciousness, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 12:43 AM CST
>>Shield has the 'I blocked this by random chance' thing (...actually, does it still?), doesn't have to balance offensive and defensive stats, doesn't rely on a secondary skill for effectiveness, potentially cannot be disarmed (otherwise restricted to brawling parry).

Those are not mathematically significant enough to balance the scales.

Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 01:04 AM CST
>>This has not been my experience. Workable, maybe, but definitely not awesome. And it hasn't very workable for most of the decade. My shield-eschewing war mage has always been functionally defenseless against players and those freaking wir dinegos everyone loves to use in invasions. (I hate them. I hate them so much.) Not that she isn't badly trained and I'm not awful at DR, but still...

I think you misunderstood me.

In melee combat my Warrior mage is well-served by using Parry. It is his highest defense skill.

In ranged combat my Warrior mage dies quickly even using Shield. It is his lowest defense skill.

If parry can suddenly block missiles, then I would no longer suffer at range. I'd never have a reason to use or learn shield skill again. Most players would never learn shield. Shield skill would become a handicap for Paladins and Traders to learn.

So, just tossing this out there for Combat 3.2 discussion -

Apply 100% of highest applicable defense present versus an incoming attack
Apply remaining stance points to remaining defenses, if present
If a second defense or third defense are not present, the primary defense gets a bonus equal to 70% of the defenses not present.
- eliminates getting overkilled when hit with a DFA or stowed shield
- eliminates chance of people using evasion and ignoring shield and parry skills
- makes using one defense more viable, provided the other defenses have been trained

So for a melee attack my warrior mage would still use parry, followed by evasion and shield. If I decided to stow my shield, then I'd be relying on my evasion only and do just fine provided I wasn't hit with an evasion-ignoring attack. If I was, then my parry skill would get 70% of the evasion skill added to it. This means I'd have a 15% defensive penalty when you think about it, which is sufficient for a DFx attack. If I was in parry/shield stance, the evasion-ignorer would not penalize me. If I was trying to evade the evasion-ignoring attack with no sword or shield out, then I'd effectively have a 30% defensive penalty. Which is quite large (but can still be overcome).

For a ranged attack my warrior mage would generally be using shield, followed by parry and evasion. Against ranged attacks, the parry skill cannot apply a bonus greater than 80% of shield or evasion skill. Defending skill would increase the % allowed.

- Fixes insta-death if you get hit with an arrow while your shield is dropped
- Prevents you from using only evasion/parry your entire career. You still need shield skill so your parry ranks can be utilized
- Gives Defending skill another role
- Makes DFx less intimidating
- Go dual wield (provided you train shield to some extent)

Stances would become dynamic. You would no longer allocate stance points. You would instead specify a favored defense (necessary for selective training).

This also opens the door for boosters that temporarily eliminate the reliance on shield skill to get parry ranks counted vs ranged attacks.

Any thoughts on something like this?

Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 01:50 AM CST
<<Any thoughts on something like this?

Yes.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 02:13 AM CST
>>Any thoughts on something like this?

I think that sounds like a great compromise on all fronts. I hope it, or something like it, comes to pass.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 05:09 AM CST
Wonderful Kodius. Make is so!

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Forging Guru of M'Riss
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 07:24 AM CST
Sounds pretty solid Kodius

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 10:24 AM CST

As long as it wouldn't screw up training. You could also move parry into the armor skillet. Then rename it defense.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 11:38 AM CST
I like the idea of evasion ignoring attacks, we already have parry ignoring attacks (which is actually a large slew of things anything ranged), and I'd be for shield ignoring attacks.

Increasing the tactical options for both defense and offense.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 02:33 PM CST
>>Any thoughts on something like this?

I like all of it.

I was gone for a bit so I'm a bit confused on what exactly can't be evaded? (I assume the obvious non-external attacks and 100% coverage AoE)
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/06/2013 02:43 PM CST
>Any thoughts on something like this?

That sounds like a really solid proposal. Especially because you'd no longer have the unintuitive dichotomy of >parry, >block, >dodge AND the Stance system.

Baring everything else:
>You could also move parry into the armor skillet. Then rename it defense.
Merging parry into Defending opens up a database slot for some more interesting skill down the road!

I'm probably weirdly biased, though, since parry hasn't even been my War Mage's highest defense, ever.

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: Offhand Maneuvers? 12/13/2013 04:06 PM CST
I realize I'm late to reply here, but the whole thing seems a little convoluted.

I'd much rather see a separate ranged/melee stance set up utilizing the current stance structure than the less control oriented set up that was just proposed.

Rolling parry into the armor skill-set would make me sad face as well.