Offhand not training 01/25/2013 08:25 AM CST
When throwing blades from the left hand, it's not training offhand weapon. Is this intended?
Re: Offhand not training 01/25/2013 08:32 AM CST

pretty sure i saw a gm post saying brawling and throwing via left hand will not teach offhand. i just use a blade in my left hand and use same routine as normal blade training only doing the attacks with my left hand.
Re: Offhand not training 01/26/2013 09:32 PM CST
Weird; I'm finding swinging a weapon with the left hand doesn't train Offhand, but throwing a weapon with the left hand does.
Re: Offhand not training 01/28/2013 11:50 AM CST
>>Weird; I'm finding swinging a weapon with the left hand doesn't train Offhand, but throwing a weapon with the left hand does.

Might want to assist then since it seems something might be wrong with your character. I haven't tried training Offhand with throwing blades since it was stated that you couldn't anymore, but I lock Offhand just fine using a melee weapon.
Re: Offhand not training 04/05/2013 10:38 AM CDT
I'm having issues targetting body parts with a left handed attack. I have my script set up to first attempt a BACKSTAB LEFT which works fine, and if the creature is not backstabbable, it should revert to ATTACK LEFT <body part>

HR> [back]: BACKSTAB LEFT
You can't backstab that.
H> [back]: ATTACK LEFT HEAD
I could not find what you were referring to.

judging by that message, i think the game is seeing me wanting to attack a critter called LEFT instead of recognizing it as a prompt to use my left handed weapon. Any way around this, or am i going to have to code in actual individual attacks such as DRAW/SLICE/CHOP LEFT <body part>

This used to be my preferred way of training offhand, so i'm kinda bummed about this. I'm also open to other suggestions for offhand training.
Re: Offhand not training 04/05/2013 07:11 PM CDT
I am not finding any problems with these.

HR> attack left head

You masterfully position yourself to strike at the rock troll's head.
You leap out of hiding and ambush a rock troll, completely surprising it.
< Moving like a striking snake, you slice a blackened steel throwing dagger adorned by a three-tined claw at a rock troll. A rock troll attempts to evade, avoiding most of the blow.
The dagger lands a light hit to the troll's head.
[You're nimbly balanced and in better position.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Offhand not training 04/06/2013 09:36 AM CDT
hmmm...now i'm really confused. I'll play around with it some more and see if i cant find the problem. Thanks for the input tho, that helps for sure.
Re: Offhand not training 04/06/2013 03:46 PM CDT
sigh...was just a bug in my script. recently re-wrote my stabbing script and this was the first time trying offhand training with it. wielding a 2nd weapon was messing with how i was skinning things, so i was attempting to attack with no weapon after i would sheath and skin something...fixed now, thanks for humoring me.
Re: Offhand not training 04/30/2013 03:30 AM CDT

I see many problems with off hand and some of it is the weapons. For example forage a rock. Use it in the left hand and throw left. It wont train offhand at all but does train Light Thrown. Tried a throwing club and got both just fine. But no offhand from the rock ever, yet they used to teach it just fine thats how I got all my offhand early on. Used a scimitar in the left hand and trained Light edged but no offhand (really old scimitar) got a new scimitar out and got both offhand and light edged.

Seeing tons of problems for example some critters like blood wolves used to teach to around 100 in weapons or a bit over with 4 on you. Now I know folks with 89 skill and a bit less that learn zero weapon skills in blood wolves yet they are teaching defenses at the same range just fine. Try a different weapon (newer) and all of a sudden learn something.

Really odd ranges for critters going on too. Like the undead savages and headhunters used to teach into the 110 range but not over that are now teaching well over 125 no matter the weapon used.

Near as I can tell there is no way to figure out what to hunt on the younger lower ranges anymore because nothing works like it used to work, and learning offhand is completely hit or miss. I can try a weapon one day and it wont teach offhand at all yet the next day it teaches. I'm about to give up on hunting at this rate till things get a bit more stable.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Offhand not training 04/30/2013 09:26 AM CDT
One of the changes was the thrown weapons wouldn't teach offhand anymore. It does train though now.
Re: Offhand not training 04/30/2013 12:19 PM CDT
>>Near as I can tell there is no way to figure out what to hunt on the younger lower ranges anymore because nothing works like it used to work,

Are you meaning just for offhand? The new appraise critter messaging should help for most of the other skills. When the skills GM is back I'll discuss how we can add offhand appraisal ranges to the mix.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Offhand not training 04/30/2013 05:01 PM CDT
>Are you meaning just for offhand? The new appraise critter messaging should help for most of the other skills. When the skills GM is back I'll discuss how we can add offhand appraisal ranges to the mix.

If this is part of the analyze, that would be so cool to be able to also offhand use tactical combos.

Also, just a little offhand, but if there is ever a chance to have offhanded parry, that be pretty awesome too.

Another note, finally got around to using analyze for combos and I love it, it adds something else cool to do in combat and feel successful in :) !

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Offhand not training 05/03/2013 02:28 AM CDT

<<Are you meaning just for offhand? The new appraise critter messaging should help for most of the other skills. When the skills GM is back I'll discuss how we can add offhand appraisal ranges to the mix.>>

Nope I mean the whole mess not just offhand, though offhand is a problem too. I go into a critter one day to train a low weapon and train it fine and the next day it trains no skill at all, then a day later it trains again. With the smaller critters all the way up to snowbeasts, they no longer train in the ranges they used to. Blood wolves use to train to around 100, specially if you got 4 on you. Now I know one young ranger that cant train light edged at 89 in there and with the help of some other rangers we found nothing from 85 up trains in there either and it may be as low as 81 or 82 where it stops training. Thats a pretty big difference from what used to be trainable. I've heard complaints about rock trolls, beisswurms, snowbeasts, blood wolves, grass eels, goblins, cougars, and wood trolls. So I'm pretty sure something has changed on the teaching ranges for all these critters at the low levels.

If I add the complaints i've heard about high end critters (not to mention those i've hunted) as well, a pattern starts to form, where it appears the low end got lower and teaches more narrow, and the high end got higher (and appears to have extended range of teaching added - not saying the extended range is bad mind you), and has resulted in a lot of folks moving downward just to survive.

So over all its not just offhand its any weapon skill. But offhand has been really strange too. Things I have that used to teach offhand dont anymore, heck even foraged rocks used to teach it. And even a few items teach it one day and not the next but do the day after. Go figure.

Ranger pfanston and his soggy pup.
Re: Offhand not training 05/03/2013 05:36 AM CDT
It was announced several times through out the release period of 3.0 that you might have to move hunting grounds because critters teaching ranges might change. So what you are explaining about teaching ranges changing was intended. The player base will just have to rediscover their new ranges, though it shouldn't be that hard since they didn't change that much.

As for the Offhand skill, I haven't really ran into any problems learning it, but I haven't really tested much either.
Re: Offhand not training 05/05/2013 08:56 PM CDT
>>The player base will just have to rediscover their new ranges,

Or use APPRAISE. I added detailed information that should very quickly tell you if an enemy is going to train your skills. If this isn't accurate then I need to know - AND I need more detailed information.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
Re: Offhand not training 05/05/2013 09:09 PM CDT
Probably a stupid question, but the appraisal is based off your base ranks correct? IE boosting your effective small edge ranks won't change the appraisal but will allow you to kill quicker.

Another question in the same vein, does bonusing base ranks stop you from learning if your base is within the learning range but your effective ranks(base + bonus) is above the learning range?

Sorry to tangent the topic.

Re: Offhand not training 05/05/2013 10:49 PM CDT
Two appraisal lines are given. The difficult line is direct difficulty taking all buffs/debuffs and factors into account. The exp line is just base ranks vs critter base ranks (which is what exp is based on).

Re: Offhand not training 05/05/2013 11:18 PM CDT

I've found the Appraise critter command very very useful and accurate so far.

One thing I think would be really useful is a Multi Opponent feature, Sure I can take 1:1, 3:1 or 4:1 I get killed.
Re: Offhand not training 05/06/2013 03:20 AM CDT
The new appraise information is great, but last I checked, it doesn't work with offhand or thrown.
Re: Offhand not training 05/06/2013 01:00 PM CDT
I'm finding the new app info very helpful. Would be nice to get a list of the ranges in numerical order if you haven't already posted it. Also like to second the offhand, thrown, and the multi (defending?) info.
Re: Offhand not training 05/06/2013 07:31 PM CDT
>>Or use APPRAISE. I added detailed information that should very quickly tell you if an enemy is going to train your skills. If this isn't accurate then I need to know - AND I need more detailed information.

This also doesn't work very well for low circles. The new info is an outstanding change which I love, but it is worth noting that the training line doesn't show up at all for several circles. At least not in plat. (Unless this changed in the last month or so. I haven't been IG much lately.)

~The Prydaen~
Re: Offhand not training 05/09/2013 07:26 AM CDT
yeah, it would be nice if the difficulty of successfully appraising a critter scaled with the difficulty of the critter below a certain point. A newbie with 20 ranks of appraisal should have no problem appraising if a musk hog will give them a problem.
Re: Offhand not training 05/11/2013 07:48 PM CDT
I'll take another look at the difficulty when time allows. For now I've added a bunch of new information to the appraise output...