Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/16/2010 08:39 PM CST
Howdy!

Just wondering if we could get a general heads up what's going to happen with the skillset based offhanded weapon perk with the skill combination.

Right now primaries can use heavy edged/blunt or lighter, secondaries can use medium edged/blunt or lighter, and tertiaries can use light edged/blunts only.

With the skill combine the three levels are being combined into two levels of skill. How will it be adjusted? Based on weapon weight perhaps? Or will it be based on weapon templates instead?

I ask because I'm wanting to start working on the appropriate skills for this feat on my newish Bard now while his skills are still low rather than having to backtrain any newly required skills once the skill combination happens.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/16/2010 11:45 PM CST
It will probably be weapon template based. They've already said somewhere that for the purposes of backstabbing, ME type weapons will continue to behave differently than LE type weapons even after the merge. I don't think it's likely to be much different for this particular feat. That's just a guess though.

Hopefully if I'm right, appraisal will get a hook to help people continue to differentiate between the two once they're covered by the same skill.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/17/2010 01:12 AM CST
The offhand skill will not be changing, nor will the weapons you can use with it.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/17/2010 10:26 AM CST
So will weapons still appraise as Light Edge and Medium Edge, but both teach the same skill?
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/17/2010 11:54 AM CST
<<The offhand skill will not be changing, nor will the weapons you can use with it.

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify, and I understand if this is a NDA thing, behind the scenes mechanics-wise will it be based on template, weight or something else?

The reason I ask is that under the current system, I assume, the mechanics use the skill it teaches to determine the difference, but without that distinction on the player side it will be harder to figure out. For example, I'm imagining a merchant coming out that sells a Small Edged weapon called a hirsgd'sa'fa and not having a clue which guilds are able to use it offhand. Not a huge deal since its easily tested, but I'm just wondering if there was a guideline designation that we as players can utilise to figure out the difference.

I would suggest a line added to the appraisal. For example, "You are able to effectively wield this weapon in your left hand."

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/17/2010 01:27 PM CST
Are Light and Medium edges/blunts going to continue to appraise as such?

"A light blunt weapon, a kind of small blunt?"

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/18/2010 01:33 AM CST
>>I would suggest a line added to the appraisal. For example, "You are able to effectively wield this weapon in your left hand."

This is very likely to happen. You won't be able to identify 'light' vs 'medium' blunts via appraisal since that's a distinction that no longer makes sense.

There will likely be systems that distinguish between LB and MB, and LE and ME. I'm sure I'll miss some of these systems but I'll re-assess them based on intent - Sometimes, like with offhand, it's a notion of the size of the weapon. Other times, it's a notion of the skill you have with the weapon. It'll be case-by-case.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: Offhand perk with skill combine? 12/18/2010 11:55 AM CST
<<This is very likely to happen.

Wonderful!

-Evran