attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 04:48 PM CDT
Why doesn't attack left teach offhand?
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 05:05 PM CDT
>>Why doesn't attack left teach offhand?

IIRC they changed it so it would teach the lower skill. If what your attacking with in your left hand is lower than your offhand skill it should be teaching that (IIRC)
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 06:16 PM CDT
I don't think that my 160s brawling is lower than my... 9 offhand, but I'm only learning brawling when I do "attack left" x 3 after my HE attack set.

That said, if offhand is lower than the weapon, is landing the hit supposed to be based on offhand?
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 06:23 PM CDT
Brawling and Offhand do not mix. Attacking with the left hand only uses/trains Brawling skill.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 06:41 PM CDT
well that's lame.

So if I use a HE on offhand, while it may train offhand does the skill behind the strike get based off of the offhand or HE or an average of both?
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 06:59 PM CDT
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Offhand_Weapon_skill

I thought it was 70% weapon and 30% offhand, but according to Elanthipedia, it is 70% offhand and 30% weapon.

Whatever it is, it should award experience accordingly.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 07:04 PM CDT
Using your highest weapon in your left hand (not counting brawl) will make it more likely to hit/do more damage, which results in moving offhand quicker. Will also let you hunt higher critters and work it quicker.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 07:34 PM CDT
Ugh, just saw the guild restrictions.

I don't even train mediums or lights.

Not sure why brawling training it was a bug... but whatever.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 08:00 PM CDT
because the gm's said so. I'd love to learn offhand from brawl too, as it's my third weapon.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 08:25 PM CDT
Game design trumps realism sometimes. I can't explain it in this case, but there it is.

-Gheist
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 09:28 PM CDT
>Game design trumps realism sometimes. I can't explain it in this case, but there it is.

In martial arts (brawling) you use both arms and both legs. Makes perfect sense that it wouldn't necessarily teach you offhand, since using both hands is part of the skill already.

Elemancer Opieus, Journeyman Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 09:42 PM CDT
It requires pointed training to advance the offhand/weak side to acceptable levels of competence in every martial art/wresting/etc. Most people can't switch their boxing stance to southpaw and fight just as well, to say the least. In the real world, it's kinda like a whole skill of it's own!

But this is a dead horse. In DR, you are ambidextrous with brawling, unlike everything else. It's actually a benefit to the skill, though a detriment to training maximization. I would argue it's also a bad decision to treat it differently from other weapon skills, but ces la vie. It is what it is.

-Gheist
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 09:42 PM CDT
I would like to see brawling moves with the left hand teach offhand. The only justification that I know of for "fixing" that bug was that the skill is called "Offhand Weapon" and not "Offhand" which strikes me as arbitrary and a little silly.

Perhaps there is a justification I'm missing. If not, I hope it changes.

-Sephos
Re: attack left and offhand 06/29/2008 11:13 PM CDT
https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=11&topic=3&message=14878

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: attack left and offhand 06/30/2008 03:43 PM CDT
I STILL say we should be able to use 2he, 2hb, halbred, lance, pike, QS and the like off handed. Like a baseball batter batting left or right handed. Switch the grip and go.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: attack left and offhand 06/30/2008 03:58 PM CDT
as long as they still keep the other hand open.

>>--Shnurui-->
Re: attack left and offhand 06/30/2008 07:22 PM CDT
Heck I'd love to be able to use HE in my offhand at the cost of keeping my main hand free.

Or at least have known to not train HE and HB and instead maybe MB or something, hah.
Re: attack left and offhand 07/14/2008 11:21 AM CDT
>It requires pointed training to advance the offhand/weak side to acceptable levels of competence in every martial art/wresting/etc. Most people can't switch their boxing stance to southpaw and fight just as well, to say the least.

It also takes pointed training to be able to strike with your feet, elbows, knees or head as effectively as you do with your primary hand. A boxer, who's never practiced kicking, isn't going to be throwing roundhouse kicks and fight just as well either. In DR, this training is called the brawling skill, and involves training the entire body as a weapon. I think it makes perfect sense.