Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 10:13 AM CDT
Hey all. So, what are the benefits of using offhand? Should I take it up? Are there any sticky points down the road to watch out for?

I heard Leilond mention that one day we might be able to use the stacking throwing daggers with our off hand. Is this true? If so, what exactly is the benefit? Did he mean we could potentially throw 10 daggers at the same time?

Thanks.

- Player of Niieth
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 10:38 AM CDT
>>So, what are the benefits of using offhand?

1. Fulfilling a character concept.
2. TDPs.
3. The ability to train two weapon skills at once.
4. The ability to alter standard combos for better or for worse.
5. Having functionality when Dual Wield is released.

>>Should I take it up?

Examine all 5 of the benefits listed above and determine if, in your situation, the benefits outweigh the drawback of taking the time to train it.

>>Are there any sticky points down the road to watch out for?

Using a weapon in your offhand via the Offhand Weapon skill is not the same thing as Dual Wield. This is the limit of what we have currently.

Dual Wield is what has been planned for the future, and will enable you to make two simultaneous attacks with each of your hands. This is in contrast to how things are currently where you attack with one hand and then attack with the other--not simultaneously.

>>I heard Leilond mention that one day we might be able to use the stacking throwing daggers with our off hand. Is this true?

Heh, I only pray. No Red Name has posted this to be fact; however, because Throwing Blades use the Light Thrown skill and only require one hand to use effectively, I only imagine that one would be able to dual wield them like other Light Thrown weapons.

>>Did he mean we could potentially throw 10 daggers at the same time?

That's my prayer. My Light Thrown and Offhand Weapon skill are within 10 ranks of each other.

__
~Leilond - Working up to Galren and Mazrian
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 10:39 AM CDT
>>I heard Leilond mention that one day we might be able to use the stacking throwing daggers with our off hand. Is this true? If so, what exactly is the benefit? Did he mean we could potentially throw 10 daggers at the same time?

At the moment only attacking with the offhand is active unless you are a Barbarian, in which case you can whirlwind with two weapons given sufficient offhand ranks.

Eventually dual attacks will be possible.

Unfortunately, though I tried prying Ssra when offhand was first released, I was never able to get confirmation that dual throw was actually planned. The jury's still out on dual thrown I'm afraid :(.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 12:33 PM CDT
If you are going to whirlwind, is there a specific weapon requirement for left hand, or is it only an offhand requirement?

Can I whirlwind with left hand only?
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 01:33 PM CDT
The general DW setup in the proposal was to make it a weapon skillset feat similar to arm-worn shield skill feats. Weapon Primaries get to use up to Heavy Edged/Blunt in the left hand, Weapon Secondaries up to Medium E/B in the left hand, and Weapon Tertiaries are restricted to Light E/B.

2-handed weapons of any sort are not dual-wield compatible, though I don't think they ruled yet on throwns.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 08:07 PM CDT
>>If you are going to whirlwind, is there a specific weapon requirement for left hand, or is it only an offhand requirement? Can I whirlwind with left hand only?

All weapon(s) you are using must be eligible for whirlwind, even if you're only using one weapon. In other words, you can't whirlwind earlier than 350 ranks by using the left hand.

Assuming same weapon type, there is an additional offhand requirement (around 180 ranks I believe). Though if you're mixing weapons (like a broadsword and a mace) I'm fairly certain that you would need 350 ranks in all weapons, but I could be wrong. I don't remember that part exactly.
Doctor: Are you Alliance?
Early: Am I lion? Huh. I don't think of myself as a lion. But you might as well have a mighty roar!
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/25/2008 11:39 PM CDT
>Assuming same weapon type, there is an additional offhand requirement (around 180 ranks I believe). Though if you're mixing weapons (like a broadsword and a mace) I'm fairly certain that you would need 350 ranks in all weapons, but I could be wrong. I don't remember that part exactly.

I think you need 350+ in offhand weapon skill to get the extra attack with whirlwind.

Tyrants are always loved until they are deposed. Long Live The Tyrants!
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/27/2008 12:19 PM CDT
>I think you need 350+ in offhand weapon skill to get the extra attack with whirlwind.

I'm pretty sure it's less than that. I don't have the exact numbers, but when it came out a few Barbs compared numbers and we narrowed it down to a range. I'll see if I have it in my notes when I get home.

________
"I for one welcome our new Lithping Overlordth."
________
Re: Dual wield or not? 05/27/2008 12:24 PM CDT
I think it was narrowed down to 250-300. Don't quote me though.

Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.