sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/06/2014 08:36 PM CDT
Does anyone know if mail sleeves+robe come out to similar hindrance as hauberk+gloves?

You shave off some of the volume requirement by going the robe route; What's the downside?
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/06/2014 08:52 PM CDT
I did sleeve robes, can't remember why.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/06/2014 10:52 PM CDT
>>I did sleeve robes, can't remember why.

My main why's are conversations that have me feeling like I need to accept chain as my WM's primary armor and believing that I'm about to come into enough Kadepa to make a robe, sleeves and balaclava mail set but not quite enough to do a hauberk setup instead.
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/07/2014 06:49 AM CDT
My understanding is that the robe and sleeves offers lower final hindrance, for almost the same protection.

I believe It's been said that more pieces = a tiny bit more protection; suits lose a little bit for the convenience of being one item of armor. So you might just want to to gloves, vambraces, a shirt, greaves, and a balaclava, for maximum protection?

I'm a badger, I be badgerin'
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/07/2014 08:16 AM CDT
I asked Elriic to make lumium pieces of all kinds to test this "piecemeal hinderance/protection" idea. Coverage was identical in hinderance and protection in the end, or at least the difference is so minor that it's not viewable via appraise.
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/07/2014 09:57 AM CDT
<<I asked Elriic to make lumium pieces of all kinds to test this "piecemeal hinderance/protection" idea. Coverage was identical in hinderance and protection in the end, or at least the difference is so minor that it's not viewable via appraise.>>

Piecemeal will offer slightly lower weight, but the protections and hinderance will be the same:

http://www.tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/Lore/Smithing%20Skill/thread/1604421

--Just a Squire
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/07/2014 11:39 AM CDT
What I learned from the experiment and confirmed in game is that you save volumes and weight by going with the broken down pieces. Its advantageous obviously to go with the smaller volume parts when you're crafting super high end armor. My vardite mail set (robe, sleeves, helm, mask) used 70 total volumes of vardite, where a compact set (hauberk, gloves, balaclava) would have been 84 volumes.

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a rapist murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go to raffles and drink high tea with the nobility.
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/10/2014 06:50 PM CDT
Thank you everyone for the information, it was exactly what I needed (wanted) to know.

With 80 volume of Kadepa and some lead or such thrown in I believe that I'll have enough to go with any mail setup short of those that rely on the hauberk. Leaning towards the robe still because I like that noun better for this character's look.
Re: sleeves+robe vs hauberk+gloves 06/13/2014 04:59 PM CDT
Find Elriic in game when you're ready to go unless you can do it yourself ;)

<<No, I get to be an evil sociopath and psychopath when I want to, and kill babies for fun when I want to, but when game events start up, you don't have any right to treat me like a thieving murdering evil villain, you have to respect my rights to go