Chain Armor testing/templates 03/24/2014 11:03 AM CDT
HC Steel Ring hauberk - 330 stones
HC Steel Chain hauberk - 330 stones
HC Steel Mail hauberk - 331 stones

Ring:
moderate protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Chain:
good protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
poor protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Mail:
good protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
low protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Comparisons:
ring vs chain - no differences show (all are within 1-2 points)
chain vs mail - no differences show (all are within 1-2 points)
ring vs mail - mail is "a little more (mail hauberk is a little more resistant to puncture damage (3-5 points difference), the rest are all are within 1-2 points)

Analysis Ring Vs Chain: (only showing positive test results)
Chain has +1-2 puncture protection
Chain has -1,2 slice protection
Ring has Known total difference of: Equal
Ring has Unknown total difference of: +-0-8 total protection, +-0-12 total absorption

Analysis Ring Vs Mail: (only showing definite differences)
Mail has +3-5 puncture protection
Mail has -1-2 impact protection
Mail has +1-2 electrical protection
Mail has -1-2 puncture absorption
Mail has -1-2 slice absorption
Mail has -1-2 impact absorption
Ring has a Known difference of: -3-5 protection, +3-6 absorption
Ring has Unknown differences of: +-0-2 total protection, +-0-6 total absorption

Analysis Chain Vs Mail: (only showing positive test results)
Mail has +1-2 puncture protection
Mail has -1-2 impact protection
Mail has +1-2 electrical protection
Mail has -1-2 puncture absorption
Mail has -1-2 slice absorption
Mail has -1-2 impact absorption
Chain has a Known difference of: -1-2 protection, +3-6 absorption
Chain has Unknown differences of: +-0-2 total protection, +-0-6 total absorption

Material\Cost useage:
Ring - 70 volume
Chain - 80 volume
Mail - 90 volume

Codiax.
Vote: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/24/2014 12:58 PM CDT
So what's your abstract? All about equal, use the ring?
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/24/2014 01:41 PM CDT
>>So what's your abstract? All about equal, use the ring?

haha good question - I guess first off I didn't actually know the ring/chain/mail templates were even different in that one protects better against puncture vs slice vs impact vs xyz.

The second is that there is still too many unknown numbers to be able to say they are exactly equal or different in total protection, but the test can allow someone to chose between different types of protection.

I am mostly surprised by the difference in absorption I see in the mail, because I don't know where it makes those numbers up to be equal? Maybe it has more absorption in electrical/fire/cold that just isn't showing up? But at the same weight, mail seems 'slightly' worse off unless you want higher puncture protection.

Also - let's assume the totals do come out equal - ring would always be a better choice based on cost. Same protection, cheaper.

Codiax.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/24/2014 04:04 PM CDT
>>Martincoty77: Also - let's assume the totals do come out equal - ring would always be a better choice based on cost. Same protection, cheaper.

Thanks for posting this!

How were the different templates in terms of hindrance?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 07:27 AM CDT
>>How were the different templates in terms of hindrance?

Hindrance I believe is strictly based on the weight of the item, template and body coverage. (it seems to not care about what the density is before it's created) So they were all Chain type hauberks at 330-331 stones, so basically exactly the same. The 331 stone hauberk would have a very tiny amount more hindrance most likely but completely negligible. Comparing showed no difference as expected.

Hindrance is interesting as the scale used is completely in the dark, but you can theorize based on armor piece volumes.

Just looking at ring chain armor here to get an idea:
eyes 3
neck 5
head 8
gloves 6
legs 12
arms 17
abdomen 8
chest & back 18
Total: 77

You could then imagine that hindrance moves up per stone according to the ratios above. So since a hauberk covers legs, abdomen, chest, back, arms and hands, it would move up 61 points per stone of weight. Seems like a lot but max hindrance could be based on a very large number so 61 really isn't that big.

This is all theory mind you, there could be gaps where hindrance doesn't move up at all with weight, like a weird rule that it only moves up on even numbers etc. But that's completely beyond what a player would be able to determine unless appraisal gets a major overhaul.

This also has experience implementations, for example we could apply percentages to each body part.

eyes 3.89%
neck 6.49%
head 10.39%
gloves 7.79%
legs 15.58%
arms 22.07%
abdomen 10.39%
chest & back 23.37%
Total: 100%

Codiax.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 09:32 AM CDT
The lower absorption on the mail doesn't surprise me, since you're using a much lower density material than in the ring.

Absorption seems to be a function of density more than weight. Keeping density constant, you see pretty much constant absorption values across the different subclasses. It seems that protection values and distribution are more what the subclass determines.

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 11:55 AM CDT
>>> Absorption seems to be a function of density more than weight. Keeping density constant, you see pretty much constant absorption values across the different subclasses. It seems that protection values and distribution are more what the subclass determines.

Just for curiosity sake, does anyone have a summary of what each of the material stats does for armour. I know physical, fire and electrical protection determine protection, hardness determines durability and density x volume determines weight but have no idea how other stats are adjusted (i.e. the benefit of using oravir / steel vs lead / steel vs straight steel)
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 01:58 PM CDT
Hardness does not determine durability. Durability is its own stat. Hardness is not used for anything in armor as far as I can tell, but it heavily influences a weapon's damage stats along with density, similar to physical stat with armor.

Starlear
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 02:01 PM CDT
As far as oravir / steel vs lead / steel, what that does is adjust density. Oravir is low density and mixed with steel will reult in an item that is still steel as far as stats go, but is less dense...meaning it weighs less. Lead being more dense than steel would have the opposite effect, increasing density and weight, but also potentially the absorb.

- Starlear
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 03:53 PM CDT
>>Martincoty77: This also has experience implementations, for example we could apply percentages to each body part.

I have long wondered just how experience is divided among body parts. Thanks!

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 08:56 PM CDT
>>I have long wondered just how experience is divided among body parts. Thanks!

Just a word of caution on this - as there may be another component possible, and I'm not even sure if it's true or not anymore but I seem to recall it. But that is hindrance, experience may be your total hindrance divided by it's individual pieces. For example if you wore a plate chest and back piece it's individual hinderance may make up enough to teach better than the rest of your body, if the rest of your body is cloth.

It could be a combination of body coverage % and hindrance %, or either. I could test it and figure it out probably but I dont feel the need because my armor trains fine now.

Codiax.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/25/2014 09:32 PM CDT
>>Martincoty77: This also has experience implementations, for example we could apply percentages to each body part.

>I have long wondered just how experience is divided among body parts. Thanks!

Agreed. That was kind of an 'AHA!/Duh' moment.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/26/2014 06:59 AM CDT
>>The lower absorption on the mail doesn't surprise me, since you're using a much lower density material than in the ring.

I just wanted to test this but it does seem to be the case I made a ring shirt and mail shirt from the same ingot. (6.32 density)

Ring Shirt: 271 stones
You feel certain that a steel ring shirt appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and very great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection and very great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and very great damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.

Mail Shirt: 360 stones
You feel certain that a steel mail shirt appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
very good protection and very great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection and very great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and very great damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.

So protection seems derived off of weight, while absorption is derived from density. It's an interesting concept but I don't think it really place nice with the end products because also hindrance seems derived from weight as well.

So as shown above, you have 2 pieces of armor, one is 89 stones heavier and more hindering than the other, for a very small net gain in protection alone.

Here is the comparison:
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as strong as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is a little easier to maneuver with than the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as resistant to fire and is about as absorptive of fire as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as resistant to cold and is about as absorptive of cold as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as resistant to electricity and is about as absorptive of electricity as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is somewhat less resistant to puncture damage and is about as absorptive of puncture damage as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as resistant to slice damage and is about as absorptive of slice damage as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt is about as resistant to impact damage and is about as absorptive of impact damage as the mail shirt.
You are certain that the ring shirt weighs somewhat less than the mail shirt.

With this knowledge, if you need a particular weighted armor piece, it is ALWAYS better to go with the lower volume item. (ie a 330 stone ring hauberk will always be preferred over a 330 stone mail hauberk) Now when you consider max protection, that's for the person to decide, but to me it doesn't appear worth it to go with mail over ring for a small protection increase.

by the way the shirts above are capped protection ring vs capped protection mail high carbon steel.

Codiax.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 03/26/2014 09:31 AM CDT
>So protection seems derived off of weight, while absorption is derived from density. It's an interesting concept but I don't think it really place nice with the end products because also hindrance seems derived from weight as well.

I would agree. I think it's also a function of how protection vs. absorption works. The fact that protection is a flat value while absorption is a percentage means that an incremental gain in protection isn't nearly as good as an incremental gain in absorption.

By the way, in case anyone didn't know about it, the Armorcrafting 3.0 spreadsheet is a great source of data for quick comparisons among armor. It lets you see the trends across classes very well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCiblfUCREsdHRNZW9DSTA5Wkk2UXQ3VWtNQXJBeXc&hl=en_US#gid=3

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 08/05/2014 10:19 PM CDT
>By the way, in case anyone didn't know about it, the Armorcrafting 3.0 spreadsheet is a great source of data for quick comparisons among armor. It lets you see the trends across classes very well.

>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCiblfUCREsdHRNZW9DSTA5Wkk2UXQ3VWtNQXJBeXc&hl=en_US#gid=3

Wow, that's a really amazing sheet. Who put that together?

It'll take me some time to digest that.
Re: Chain Armor testing/templates 08/05/2014 10:31 PM CDT
>Wow, that's a really amazing sheet. Who put that together?

RANTJUR/Kraggur for the most part, I believe. And I imagine a whooooole slew of other folks that chipped in.