Damite, Vardite... 07/14/2013 06:54 PM CDT
Sorry if this has been answered, but upon asking a few friends, all I've heard is a recurring "I know know" or "No", so here it is. Bear with me in that I know almost nothing about smithing, so I'm sorry in advance if anything of this is actually wrong.

I've heard from numerous sources that Damite Mail is 'capped' on stats, so Reinforcing is pointless and they just lighten it instead. If this is the case, is there a reason there isn't an alloy mix people use that allow Reinforcing to still cap those stats but improve other stats further? (e.g. 60-40 Damite-Lumium would weigh a great deal less and have more fire resist - would Reinforcing still cap out the physical protections?)

Other question is, has anyone tried making armor out of Vardite? I know there is a large vardite shield you can get as a quest reward, but unsure if it can be reclaimed.
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/14/2013 07:55 PM CDT
When 3.0 was on the test server i made vardite armor pieces and the appraisal is definitely higher than damite. I generally believe people saying capped mean the same protection/absorb level, but there is a fair bit of difference in the levels themselves. Vardite heavy plate was one level above damite when i made it on test. Also made chain, can't remember the exact app but i believe it was a level above in terms of protects/absorbs on physical stats atleast
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/14/2013 08:08 PM CDT
>>I've heard from numerous sources that Damite Mail is 'capped' on stats, so Reinforcing is pointless and they just lighten it instead.

That might be the silliest thing I've ever heard. How can the stats on Damite Mail be reaching a cap, when other types of armor (like say, damite HP) clearly have much higher stats?

I never reinforce anything, because it adds a ton of weight and hindrance, and only a very tiny increase to stats. Reinforcing often doesn't show up as increased protection in the appraisals, because the protection increase is so tiny and appraisal ranges are so large. But if appraisal were more accurate then you would indeed see higher stats after reinforcing damite mail. To me, reinforcing is never worth it for any type of armor because of the added hindrance - but if you really don't care about hindrance/weight and want to eke out a tiny protection increase, reinforcing would be worth it.

Apu
_
Respect. Integrity. World Domination.
https://sites.google.com/site/apucorpdr/
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/15/2013 04:13 PM CDT
>When 3.0 was on the test server i made vardite armor pieces and the appraisal is definitely higher than damite. I generally believe people saying capped mean the same protection/absorb level, but there is a fair bit of difference in the levels themselves. Vardite heavy plate was one level above damite when i made it on test. Also made chain, can't remember the exact app but i believe it was a level above in terms of protects/absorbs on physical stats atleast

This is great to know, thank you. I'll definitely have to invest in this instead of damite chain in the future.

>I never reinforce anything, because it adds a ton of weight and hindrance, and only a very tiny increase to stats. Reinforcing often doesn't show up as increased protection in the appraisals, because the protection increase is so tiny and appraisal ranges are so large. But if appraisal were more accurate then you would indeed see higher stats after reinforcing damite mail. To me, reinforcing is never worth it for any type of armor because of the added hindrance - but if you really don't care about hindrance/weight and want to eke out a tiny protection increase, reinforcing would be worth it.

I honestly had no idea if caps or real or not, just trusted what I heard. :< This does make much more sense though...bit of a shame too, since Cleric really can't afford to have more hindrance than they already get, bleh.
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 07:29 AM CDT

Blind Case Study, Which Armor would you pick, I will reveal how they were made later today.

You feel certain that a lumium ring balaclava appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

You feel certain that a lumium ring balaclava appears to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
very good protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
good protection and very good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very good damage absorption for cold attacks.

moderate protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for cold attacks.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 01:59 PM CDT
Probably 3, 1, 2. I'm guessing the latter is weighted but not enough to effect hindrance?

I currently use a damite mail balaclava (I wonder if ring would've been a better tradeoff though?) and an old template augmented hauberk - it seems to be better than lumium, but worse than damite.

I was informed that those pavise shields can't be reclaimed, so I guess I'll have to stick to damite (or maybe audrualm? but ow, my bank.)
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 02:14 PM CDT
So you prefer absorption over protection (note 2 has better protection but worse absorption).

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 03:47 PM CDT
>>So you prefer absorption over protection (note 2 has better protection but worse absorption).<<

I believe in the future of combat Absorption will be of more value. along with durability.

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 06:13 PM CDT
>>So you prefer absorption over protection

Yes, though protection is good for those light hits that get through. I do find this question interesting, and though I was drawn to 3 at first I would give 2 a shot to see if there was a difference. With the small difference in protection/absorption values it would be hard to tell.
Re: Damite, Vardite... 07/16/2013 07:23 PM CDT
>>With the small difference in protection/absorption values it would be hard to tell.

It really would be, in fact, all 3, when compared against each other you can't tell a difference, every stat is "about" the same.

They all weigh the same

1. is made at 57 stones
2. was made at 48 stones and reinforced to 57 stones
3. was made at 64 stones and lighted to 57 stones

I just wanted to see the differences of certain techniques at a particular weight.

I guess the next step could be to do the same test except with a larger item like a hauberk. It should result in the same appraisals, except that you should be able to tell a difference in hinderance I would think...

Codiax.
Forged Weapons: