LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 03:22 AM CDT

I know it's been talked about alot, but I don't put alot of weight on posts over a few years old especially since there has been stealth changes from what I can tell somewhat recently, yet before I "came back" to DR this year. So forgive me for beating a dead horse but I am wearing a LC/HC combo but am a stealth heavy character, I know this might seem counter productive but I was told I could make it work so am trying. With my current skills here is my appraisal for my Chain Shirt

My Setup BTW is LC Chain Shirt, LC Balaclava, HC Greaves, HC Gloves, Croc-Skin Shield

The chain shirt is light chain.

The shirt looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a lightened chain shirt crafted from tempered links appears to impose noticeable maneuvering hindrance and mild stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and great damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and great damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and somewhat fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing a lightened chain shirt crafted from tempered links your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be lightly hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

You are certain that the chain shirt is very strong against damage, and is battered and practically destroyed.

The chain shirt is made with metal.
The chain shirt is quite supple.
The chain shirt feels pretty heavy.
You are certain that the chain shirt is worth exactly 23595 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

I am Survival Primary Guild, and am wondering if I will train this further down? and if so how much? Should I drop the HC in lue of all LC (how I started)
I am still backtraining the HC but here are skills at present
200 LC, 200 Shield, 150 HC
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 05:35 AM CDT
I wouldn't bother dropping it. as soon as the skill combine hits... HC and LC will be the same Chain skill anyways, and if you are able to hide on at level mobs, then you should take every bit of protection you can come up with.

Illimin
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 05:53 AM CDT
On a side note, you need to repair your armor a bit more often than you have been. Shouldn't let it get to the destroyed state. Its not going to do you any good if you get hit.

Telrenth
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 06:40 AM CDT
Your stealth is currently somewhat hindered, which is a tad high for a high-stealth setup. You want to be down at lightly really, or fairly at the very most.

In general, shop around for things that are less stealth-hindering than what you already have. Some more specific ideas:

1) Try swapping to HC head, LC legs. Greaves tend to be more hindering than head gear. The down side is you will learn less HC with only head/hands. But, as has been mentioned, these two skills will be combining in the future so you don't have to fret about it much.

2) Repair your armor. I don't know if battered armor affects hindrance, but it can't hurt to check.

3) Look into some lumium gear. Lumium is currently, I believe, the lighest and least hindering metal armor there is. Try talking to Kraggur about it; he made me a nice lumium HC balaclava. However, based on my own scanty data collection so far, I haven't actually seen a difference myself in stealth hindrance between lumium and regular -- it's just something for you to check out. Specifically, I haven't looked yet at lumium shirts, and that may be what you want to try.

4) Try looking for some of the Kanton killing field armor. These always take the form of "some <adjective> <metal> <armor piece>", such as "some engraved bronze chain greaves." I haven't made enough comparisons yet to see if they are more stealth-friendly in the LC/HC gear, but they are generally pretty good armor pieces and worth a look.

Finally, just FYI, but I have an armor-tert character with 200s armors who's wearing a LC/HC/leather mix (HC head, LC shirt, leather gloves/greaves), with light stealth hindrance. So I can guarantee that at least can be done. The main down side is that leather greaves are currently pretty terrible protection.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 07:00 AM CDT
>> However, based on my own scanty data collection so far, I haven't actually seen a difference myself in stealth hindrance between lumium and regular

You won't (at least currently). Stealth hindrance is entirely calculated based on armor type (HC, LC, LP, etc), and what the armor protects.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 09:45 AM CDT
There definitely is a hindrance difference, even between properly weighted lumium and natural steel. If you do with "pure" lumium it will get even lower. One of the chain pieces with the most notably reduced stealth hindrance is the ring hauberk (see below for a comparison against chain). A lot of chain pieces are very close in hinderance, but I haven't started to do any complete-set aggregate testing yet, but from some partial set testing, there are differences.

Chain-class Hauberks
ring noticable (8) moderate (7)
chain high (9) significant (10)

~Kraggur

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 05:00 PM CDT
>>You won't (at least currently). Stealth hindrance is entirely calculated based on armor type (HC, LC, LP, etc), and what the armor protects.

Really? That seems to contradict some of what I've seen so far. For example, I just compared an HP Kanton cuirass with an HP covellite (forged) cuirass. I don't have the weight on the latter (since it was on a Trader table), if that makes a difference. But the Kanton cuirass protects better across the board and has a stealth hindrance of 7, while the covellite has a stealth hindrance of 11.

That seems like a pretty big difference for two items that are both HP and both protect chest/abdomen/back.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 08:56 PM CDT
Stealth hindrance is a bit confusing to me. I didn't know there were exceptions to the "by armor type only" rule (excepting perhaps some outdated pieces), I'll have to keep a look out.

IMO one of the tricky things about the new forging system is that all the chain greaves come out HC, so have a pretty significant stealth hindrance when compared to say, storebought LC greaves. I can't quite make or afford an LC robe or hauberk yet, so I've been using leather legs. Fortunately, according to Elanthipedia, there is no stealth hindrance penalty to mixing armors -- but the armor stats on them are pretty poor.

Anyway, I'm still devoted to finding the best no-swap stealth setup that incorporates chain (or even plate!) so if anyone has any feedback I'd appreciate it.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 09:08 PM CDT
>according to Elanthipedia

All hail Elanthipedia!

(annoying yet?)

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/01/2011 09:28 PM CDT
>Anyway, I'm still devoted to finding the best no-swap stealth setup that incorporates chain (or even plate!) so if anyone has any feedback I'd appreciate it.

Cop-out/obvious answer, but I'd wait for Crafting 3.0 leather/cloth/bone releases before making any significant moves.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 12:22 AM CDT
>>(annoying yet?)

Yes.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 03:49 AM CDT
<<IMO one of the tricky things about the new forging system is that all the chain greaves come out HC>>

It is a bit odd. I was quite surprised when my 3 density mail greaves turned out to be HC. Have we heard if this is on the bug fix list?

Kaxis

>look dock
>I could not find what you were referring to.

>look wharf
>It's a wooden dock that has served its purpose for many years.

>You ponder.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 11:46 AM CDT
To my understanding, Kodius has said that the armor-skill shifts are not a bug. Most armor was supposed to come out as LC, however a few pieces did not, and it's waiting for the whole LC/HC thing to disappear into chain skill.

Also, for what it's worth, pieces that can swap between HC and LC have had no demonstrable difference in stealth hindrances. I've done 100 stone balaclavas and 101 stone balaclavas, and both were identical to appraise and compare, excepting that one was LC the other HC.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:

DR Crafting Calc:
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 03:58 PM CDT
<<Also, for what it's worth, pieces that can swap between HC and LC have had no demonstrable difference in stealth hindrances.

I was curious about what you said and decided to test it myself. So I whipped up some steel from the forge supply. I actually got different results which support the armor type = stealth hindrance idea.

First balaclava is 20 volume medium steel. MAMA's weight of 100 stones.

>app bala
The chain balaclava is light chain. ...

You feel certain that a steel chain balaclava appears to impose trivial maneuvering hindrance and trivial stealth hindrance, offering:
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks. ...

Second balaclava is 20 volume med steel cut with 2 nickel nuggets. MAMA's weight of 101 stones.

>app bala
The chain balaclava is heavy chain. ...

You feel certain that a steel chain balaclava appears to impose trivial maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:

And then just for funsies I decided to reinforce the LC balaclava and lighten to HC balaclava to see what happens. :)

>>app bala
The chain balaclava is heavy chain. ....

You feel certain that a steel chain balaclava with a reinforced design appears to impose light maneuvering hindrance and light stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks. ...

(120 Stones)

>app bala
The chain balaclava is light chain. ...

You feel certain that a steel chain balaclava with trimmed links appears to impose trivial maneuvering hindrance and trivial stealth hindrance, offering:

(90 Stones)

Full disclosure, I can't mastercraft midsteel chain balaclavas with my meager 160 Mech Lore, but I have a feeling the pattern will bear out. :)

Looking at the armor spreadsheet (which is a fantastic resource!) it even looks like the increases in stealth hindrance come from LC switching to HC (steel chain to steel mail gloves for instance) and from LP to HP (such as steel lamellar to steel light plate tassets).

That is good info about 3.0 conversion, thanks! Speaking of the system broadly, I'm curious to see how stealth hindrance plays out with the consolidation into Chain and Light Armor skills. Bone/Leather/Cloth may have a simple material toggle. But presumably chain will have a weight tipping point between LC and HC values, or only one level of stealth hindrance, or some sort of gradient like "regular" hindrance does now.

<<Cop-out/obvious answer, but I'd wait for Crafting 3.0 leather/cloth/bone releases before making any significant moves.

Heh, I think this is probably right. Crafting 3.0 should produce leather greaves with the same stats as full-body leathers, and let bone and cloth surpass storebought values. This should provide an easy way to avoid the relatively large (mild - 6) stealth hindrance on chain greaves without sacrificing much protection.

PS - For any novice forgers, when I used the terrible pre-made steel ingots I got finely-crafted and outstanding balaclavas. I literally could not complete the reinforce and lightening steps on them though! Clearly product quality counts at low skill levels.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 10:17 PM CDT
>But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is somewhat hindered.

Ouch.

>You want to be down at lightly really, or fairly at the very most.

lightly is pretty bad. in my leather/bone/cloth/lc hunting setup i'm insignificantly, and i would never pvp in this setup. if you're in a difficult fight, for survival primary, you should aim to be minimally hindered.

keep in mind stealth penalty is PERCENTAGE based, so while a 15% penalty is only 15 ranks of penalty at 100 ranks, it's 150 ranks of penalty at 1000 ranks.

train leather, cloth, or bone as survival primary. if you want lc or hc as a backup for kicks and giggles...sure. but over the long run you'll want a stealth friendly armor.

you can "make it work". but you can also make survival primary work without training hiding. if you're trying to "maximize" your character's effectiveness in any way, don't go chain or plate as primary armor for survival prime. the end.
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/02/2011 11:45 PM CDT
The reason I asked about it was the hindrances for the 3 density mail greaves is behaving a little differently from the other pieces I've seen.

For example, my 3 density lumium mail gloves have the same hindrances, trivial/insignificant, as my old forged 27 stone mail gloves. There's a smooth juncture there from the old system to the new. Lumium mail balaclava hindrances are slightly below or fairly equal to the old shard chain version, depending upon LC or HC. So again there's a good continuation.

But the lumium mail greaves have noticeably more hindrance than my old 18 stone LC chain greaves I forged long ago, even though both are 3 density:

The chain greaves are light chain.

The greaves look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right leg
left leg

You feel certain that some chain greaves appear to impose insignificant maneuvering hindrance and minor stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and very good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very good damage absorption for cold attacks.
low protection and very good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some chain greaves your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

You are certain that the chain greaves are appreciably susceptible to damage, and are in pristine condition.

The chain greaves are made with metal.
The chain greaves are quite supple.
You are certain that the chain greaves weighs exactly 18 stones.
You are certain that the chain greaves are worth exactly 75 kronars.

The mail greaves are heavy chain.

The greaves look like they offer protection for the following areas:

right leg
left leg

You feel certain that some lumium mail greaves appear to impose light maneuvering hindrance and fair stealth hindrance, offering:
good protection and very high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and very high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and very high damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and very good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and very good damage absorption for cold attacks.
fair protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing some lumium mail greaves your maneuvering would be minimally hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently lightly hindered and your stealth is lightly hindered.

You are certain that the mail greaves are quite guarded against damage, and are in pristine condition.

The mail greaves are made with metal.
The mail greaves are quite supple.
You are certain that the mail greaves weighs exactly 54 stones.
You are certain that the mail greaves are worth exactly 283140 kronars.

You are certain that the mail greaves is a lot stronger than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is somewhat harder to maneuver with than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is about as resistant to fire and is about as absorptive of fire as the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is about as resistant to cold and is about as absorptive of cold as the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is a little more resistant to electricity and is a little less absorptive of electricity than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is about as resistant to puncture damage and is a little more absorptive of puncture damage than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is a little more resistant to slice damage and is a little more absorptive of slice damage than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves is a little less resistant to impact damage and is a little more absorptive of impact damage than the chain greaves.
You are certain that the mail greaves weighs a lot more than the chain greaves.

Everything is a range, but there's a +2 difference on the comparison scale. That's noticeable jump from the old 3 density version.

If it's not a bug or oversight, as you say, then it looks like Kodius might have decided the hindrance for greaves was too low in the old system and decided to give it a bump in the new. If that's the case then I'll probably keep my old forged greaves as long as they stay as they are now. Trade a little defense for a little better hindrance.

Kaxis

"First rule of slaying: don't die!" -- Buffy
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/03/2011 12:52 AM CDT
>>lightly is pretty bad. in my leather/bone/cloth/lc hunting setup i'm insignificantly, and i would never pvp in this setup. if you're in a difficult fight, for survival primary, you should aim to be minimally hindered.

To clarify, my experience is with PVE, at which I've done fine with lightly (survival secondary) up to gryphons. But certainly, if PVP is your thing, then less is probably more.

Just keep in mind that under the new 3.0 system PVP may be changing. Stealth may not work quite as it does now and protection may be more important.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/03/2011 12:54 AM CDT
I'd argue that the differences in hindrances between LC and HC are a function of density, rather than the fact that a toggle is getting thrown between the two skill sets. Mostly anecdotal, but I might whip up something like pure gold gloves and compare them to steel. I do know that bronze is more hindering in something like lamellar armor (so no binary tag to throw) than steel in the same piece.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:

DR Crafting Calc:
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/03/2011 01:13 AM CDT
<<I'd argue that the differences in hindrances between LC and HC are a function of density,>

I'd agree with you except the two items are the same density. They calculate as LC but are oddly being labeled as HC.

Kaxis

"First rule of slaying: don't die!" -- Buffy
Re: LC/HC Stealth 10/13/2011 01:27 PM CDT
Gonna have to eat some crow on this, but have confirmed the difference:

The chain hauberk is heavy chain.
You feel certain that a steel-alloy chain hauberk appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance (9/15) and significant stealth hindrance (10/15),
(400 stones on the nose)

The chain hauberk is light chain.
You feel certain that a steel-alloy chain hauberk appears to impose high maneuvering hindrance (9/15) and moderate stealth hindrance (7/15)
(about 360 stones)

Same piece, just lightened.

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:

DR Crafting Calc: