Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 01:05 AM CST
I'm looking for advice on balancing out my three armour set-up in terms of learning rates. Right now I wear a forged LC chain hauberk, a Haven storebought HC visored chain helm, and some tanned perfect bison-hide gloves. Obviously, my LC locks super fast, with HC taking a while to get there eventually if I stand around dancing, and leather rarely ever locks.

I'd like to balance out the learning between the three, but am unsure exactly which ratio of armour to body parts is best to achieve this while still maintaining a decent level of hindrance. Stealth hindrance is also a secondary concern, but I'm not adverse to removing armour pieces to overcome it if needed so its not that big a deal.

I'm thinking LC on my torso and HC on the legs and arms and leather on the head and hands? Or maybe reverse the leather and HC to reduce hindrance a bit and give better protection to the areas with greater stun potential?

This is for my Bard, so he's armour/survival tert. Any advice/suggestions?

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 01:39 AM CST
For Szrael, who is also doing LC, HC and leather, I've been doing LC coat, HC helm and gloves, leather greaves.

It's working pretty well.

If I cared a lot more about stealth hindrance, I might go leather coat, LC greaves and HC helm and gloves instead.

The gloves are forged to be HC instead of neutral, also.

-- Player of Szrael --

"Necromancy is Bad" (GM Armifer)
Re: Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 05:50 AM CST
I would trade the hauberk for a tanned coat and forged LC greaves. Try it for a bit and swap the gloves if either of your chains is not moving as fast as you'd like. Depending on your ranks you can get coats to match your skills (see highlighted coats in link). This setup is also more stealth friendly.

Let me know if you go this rout and have trouble finding a coat at the trader tables.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 06:52 AM CST
As a moon mage, I use cave troll hide coat, HC greaves, LC gloves, and the balaclava that resembles rotting flesh(LC, because LC is like 5 ranks ahead of HC).

With 127 hiding, I can hide most of the time against Vipers with shadows up, though its at ranged.
Re: Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 01:16 PM CST
Forged LC shirt, forged HC greaves, tanned leather cowl and gloves. I've found this to be a workable balance of stealth and protection friendly.

This has kept all three skills moving at almost exactly the same rate from roughly 200-250 (there's about a 12-13 rank spread, but they started with that when I first put on this exact combination).

No trouble learning stealth upwards of 400 ranks, don't even need to take anything off or cast shadows. That's with pretty high stats, though.

~ Kougen

Moon Mages: Ripping reality a new one since 586 BL
Re: Three armour set-up advice 12/27/2009 11:19 PM CST
Thanks for all the advice. Using it, I was able to come up with a combination I like with a balance between learning, protection and stealth hindrance.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.