Problems with accessories 11/15/2008 04:25 PM CST
Ok, I'm trying to learn both LC and HC using accessories, but I'm having an odd problem.

Right now, for armor learning, this is my set up:

* a visored chain helm, (HC from Riverhaven)
* some mail gauntlets (NC from crossing I think, currently LC)

and either:

* some supple ring mail greaves (LC from Riverhaven)
or
* some serpentine chain greaves (HC from Riverhaven)

The problem is, if I use the LC greaves, LC works great, but HC barely moves, and vise versa. Does anyone have any suggestions for accessories so that I can learn both simultaneously, or am I really just doomed to swapping out all the time.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Problems with accessories 11/15/2008 08:18 PM CST
If your hand gear is neutral, and most storebought chain IS neutral, it will default to whatever you have the highest ranks in between LC and HC, therefore with an HC helm, probably HC gauntlets, it's no surprise that you won't learn much LC wearing only the LC greaves.

You didn't mention what you're wearing for main body armor, so I'm assuming it might be some form of leather or plate. It's very difficult to move an armor if you're wearing only accessories in that armor, unless you cover head, hands, and legs with that armor type, or at a minimum, two out of those 3 body parts, realizing that whatever the odd armor out is, you won't really train it effectively.

So, yes. You are pretty much stuck swapping out accessories to backtrain the armors, but it's a very effective way to train multiple armors. Main body armor remains the same, and then swap out head/hands/legs with other armor types.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: Problems with accessories 11/15/2008 08:36 PM CST
>>If your hand gear is neutral, and most storebought chain IS neutral, it will default to whatever you have the highest ranks in between LC and HC, therefore with an HC helm, probably HC gauntlets, it's no surprise that you won't learn much LC wearing only the LC greaves.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. They ARE NC, they ARE currently LC, I THINK they're from crossing.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Problems with accessories 11/15/2008 09:48 PM CST
> It's very difficult to move an armor if you're wearing only accessories in that armor

I very much disagree. Maybe for hand gear that's true for hand gear, but swapping on the head/legs is a great way to learn lots of armors without insane mixing penalties. My barb learns HC/LC just fine with HC helm, and LC greaves. Of course those greaves are forged, which is where I think GRIM might be running into trouble. Keep the visored helm and see if you can track down some forged LC gloves/greaves. If you can't find any gear that's reasonably affordable, find Hanryu in Shard (or IM me @ HanryuDR) and I'll hook you up. Granted it won't be capped or anything, but I guarantee it'll work.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
11/14/0 - 9 days
Re: Problems with accessories 11/16/2008 05:21 AM CST
>>My barb learns HC/LC just fine with HC helm, and LC greaves. Of course those greaves are forged, which is where I think GRIM might be running into trouble.

That's what I was HOPING to hear.

>>If you can't find any gear that's reasonably affordable, find Hanryu in Shard (or IM me @ HanryuDR) and I'll hook you up.

Shouldn't be a problem. I'm not really hurting for money, just been lazy about switching to forged/tanned gear. Guess it's time to hit the market tables.

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: Problems with accessories 11/16/2008 05:49 AM CST
> Guess it's time to hit the market tables.

If you're not already wearing one, try a dark-scale coat with those accessories. With less than 50 ranks I'm already only lightly hindered, even with a garg shield.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
"But I say if you're going going to eat a creature alive, you have to expect some screaming. That is the carnivore's burden."
9/14/0 - 8 days
Re: Problems with accessories 04/18/2010 03:56 PM CDT
Out of curiosity, where do you get a dark-scale coat?
Re: Problems with accessories 04/18/2010 06:48 PM CDT
>Out of curiosity, where do you get a dark-scale coat?

That's tanned. I think it's from dark-scaled merrows north of Ratha.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Problems with accessories 04/18/2010 06:54 PM CDT
Ok, thanks. Just have not seen one of those before.