Prev_page Previous 1
chain 07/16/2006 04:34 PM CDT
Can a full body chain mail robe, light or heavy, be smithed?
Re: chain 07/16/2006 06:42 PM CDT
No, not yet. Only hauberks can be made.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
-Yogi Berra
Re: chain 07/17/2006 11:25 AM CDT
and shirts?
Re: chain 07/17/2006 11:27 AM CDT
>and shirts?

Shirts arent full body protection.

Trollin trollin trollin
Keep postin postin postin
Though they disapprovin
Keep them Mods a movin, Trollhide
Bring em on, tear em up
Chew em up, spit em out
Trollhide!
who sells forged chain? 08/15/2006 09:08 PM CDT
who sells capped forged chain these days?? or can anyone tell me the capped appraisals for both lc/hc shirt, gloves, greaves, and helm?

thanks much!
Re: who sells forged chain? 08/15/2006 09:46 PM CDT
>who sells capped forged chain these days??

Cossetta sells my chain. See her. As far as appraisals (I'm not posting them), I assure you, they are capped.

Taghz was forging chain, but I haven't seen/noticed him around. He could be hiding.

Redarch is forging chain, and my toes have missed his axe recently.

I apologize to any other folks forging capped stuff. My beer is affected by the memory I'm drinking.
Re: who sells forged chain? 08/16/2006 03:43 PM CDT
Where do I find Cossetta? Does she have email, AIM screen name? If she's in Crossing in the bazaar what times usually?
Re: who sells forged chain? 08/16/2006 03:55 PM CDT
>Where do I find Cossetta?

Crossing bazaar. She's been around at all kinds of different times, near as I can tell. :D

I'm forging some stuff now, I'll make sure she has the 2 capped chain shirts you are looking for.
capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 12:51 PM CDT
The chain lorica is light chain.

The lorica looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that a chain lorica appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and offers:
fair protection and moderate damage absorption for puncture attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for slice attacks.
poor protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only maneuvering in a chain lorica you could expect to be unhindered.

You are certain that the chain lorica is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The chain lorica is made with metal.
The chain lorica is moderately flexible.
The chain lorica has a bit of weight to it.
You are certain that the chain lorica is worth exactly 3000 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Can anyone tell me if this is capped?

~Aerander
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 01:34 PM CDT
Doubt it.

NameHinPuncSliceImpFireIceElecConc.WeightPriceLocation
Chain LoricaMFMGMLMMMMMPMMS2503000Crossing
Double-linked Chain TunicMGGGGGGMGMGPGFS3503500Riverhaven
Medium TunicMGGGGGGMGMGPGFS33067650Shard
Sinuous TunicMGGGGGGMGMGPGFS37067650Shard
Small TunicMGGGGGGMGMGPGFS30041041Shard
Studded Chain LoricaMFMGMLMMMMMPMMS2503000Riverhaven
Triple-linked Chain Lorica Crafted from Blued SteelMFMGMLMMMMMPMMS250277500Crossing

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>We are Rangers, all your releases are belong to us. ~ Sylvado
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 03:37 PM CDT
If anyone has some appraisals on capped chain lorica's, I'd really appreciate it. The one I posted the appraisal of was 150 stone and the person I bought it from said it was capped.

If anyone has appraisals on heavier and more protective LC chain lorica's....I'd appreciate it.

~Aerander
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 05:15 PM CDT
Not sure if this is capped or not.

>app lori

The chain lorica is light chain.
The lorica looks like it offers protection for the following areas:
chest
abdomen
back
You feel certain that a chain lorica appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and offers:
moderate protection and good damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and good damage absorption for slice attacks.
low protection and good damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and moderate damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and moderate damage absorption for electrical attacks.
If you were only maneuvering in a chain lorica you would be unhindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered.
You are certain that the chain lorica is of average strength, and is in pristine condition.
The chain lorica is made with metal.
The chain lorica is moderately flexible.
You wonder if the chain lorica might weigh a few hundred stones.
You are certain that the chain lorica is worth exactly 2400 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

The one who is obsessed with power.. and who still has a long way to go.
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 05:53 PM CDT
I bought it from the trader that sells Redarche's stuff and she said it was capped....I guess she meant for the weight and not for a LC lorica.

~Aerander
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 09:34 PM CDT
>>I bought it from the trader that sells Redarche's stuff and she said it was capped

The trader is Martyka and yes, her comment that it was "capped" meant it was as LIGHT as can be made, which was what I was asked for. To make an item more protective, generally, the weight and hinder will end up being higher.

Not sure if Martyka mentioned it, but I offer a moneyback guarantee. If you wish to trade a piece of armor I forged for another of the same type/price, I'll be happy to make you a lorica with higher protections, but it will weigh more and be more hindering most likely.

Just place your order with Martyka and if she doesn't have what you want in stock, I'll make it.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 10:07 PM CDT
Awesome, I'll ask her next time I see her around. Thanks for the help Redarch.

~Aerander
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/20/2006 10:46 PM CDT
Wow Redarch, I'm impressed. A real businesman in DR?
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/21/2006 01:14 PM CDT
>>Wow Redarch, I'm impressed.

Dwarves are trustworthy!

E
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/21/2006 02:38 PM CDT
I dunno, a lot of the forgers I've dealt with do that. I know Xixist used to exchange a marked item for another marked item of the same type/price range so I could get a heavier mace once I trained some and not have to buy two maces.

I am --- Navak
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/21/2006 03:58 PM CDT
Not to take away from Red... I've exchanged any item I make with the only caveat that I analyze it as my work.

This is true for all armor I sell. If I make it better or lighter and someone bought an older version, I switch those too.
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/22/2006 05:35 PM CDT
Just wanted to correct a mis-apprehension that may have creeped into the discussion. My "exchange" rules are not something that only I do. I know of a number of smiths that will do the same. We'd prefer satisfied customers, rather than folks that felt they got ripped off, whether they did or not. So, I didn't mention my exchange policy to set me up as a "oohh... he's nice." type of person. I'm not alone in doing this.

Switching to a slightly different subject, I've just asked this question in the Forging folders and will raise it here.

My understanding of the term "capped", is "An item that has the highest possible stats AT THAT WEIGHT for THAT SPECIFIC ITEM".

So, for example, a 150 stone chain lorica with "good" slice protection is capped if no one else can make the same item at the same weight with higher stats. It does not mean that just because a 402 stone HC Hauberk has higher stats than a 150 stone lorica, that the lorica isn't capped.

At least thats how I use the term.

Just wondering if any of my fellow weapon and armor smiths use the term differently.

Redarch
Dwarf with an Axe.. Watch your toes!
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/22/2006 08:02 PM CDT
Hmm, I have a question. Is it possible to get plate stats on a chain lorica? I don't care about the weight(well, maybe I do, nothing over 400 stones please!)

The one who is obsessed with power.. and who still has a long way to go.
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/22/2006 08:56 PM CDT
Yes, unless you specifically state "capped protection" or something similar it means at that weight. Though I don't like to use the term capped since it indicates the best of everything has been discovered.

I am --- Navak
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/22/2006 10:25 PM CDT
>So, I didn't mention my exchange policy to set me up as a "oohh... he's nice." type of person. I'm not alone in doing this.

Yeah, Redarch is a mean ol' grouch and is pretty ugly, even by dwarf standards ;)

"Oooh look at me Marge, I'm making people Happy! I'm the magical man, from Happy Land, who lives in a gumdrop house on Lolly Pop Lane!!!!...... By the way I was being sarcastic."
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/23/2006 07:54 AM CDT
>Is it possible to get plate stats on a chain lorica?

Not a chance.

I did some different weight loricas based on the conversation here to confirm what I suspected. Basically, my conclusion is that its crap.

Basically lorica's seem to cap at good absorbs, mod construction, and range fair to mod hinderance as the weight goes up. I tested from 150 to 450 stones.

If you want LC or HC chest protection at those weights, a chain shirt is far better for the weight and will give you mod hinderance and high absorbs. I highly doubt we'll come close to plate-like apps with this version of that template.
Re: capped chain lorica? 08/25/2006 02:01 PM CDT
<<Just wondering if any of my fellow weapon and armor smiths use the term differently.

Hey Redarch, Just popping in to agree with you.
Having a 150 stone chain shirt as opposed to a 280 stone chain shirt can both be "capped" but not carry the same appraisal. Also, certain forged items can only reach a maxium 'cap' in both weapon and armor situations such as heavy forged rapiers being ridiculously worse than scimitars of the same weight and full plate armor vs. field plate armor. I haven't made a chain lorica in over a year so I can't tell what the super low weight app would be unless I made one myself.
Overall, the term "capped" can be joked around between armor and weapon forgers because a cap is so sensitive on the weight of the item. A decent percentage of the customers that purchase my forged wares just come to me and say, "I want capped!!!1" and in exchange, I'm more interested in what weight and associated hinderance level they're interested in.
Anyway, that's my two kronars.

-Paladin Eeary Kakler
Looking for chain 10/16/2006 09:07 PM CDT
I'm looking for a store bought light chain armor that doesn't protect the arms and maybe doesn't protect the abdomen.

If anyone knows where I can buy something like this that doesn't protect arms or doesn't protect arms and abdomen please let me know where here.

Thanks.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 07:11 AM CDT
See if this helps. P1 through P4 are up-to-date. Missing some guild-only shops, but you can't blame me for being a Ranger! Well ya can, just won't do you any good :p

http://kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>Bunnies. I enjoy kick them into the local lake, somewhat near my apartment. The more innocent the bunny looks, the harder I kick. This pleases me greatly to observe them suffer. - Simon
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 07:42 AM CDT
Thanks this actually helps a lot. I'll just have to make a trip to Shard and pick up a a double-linked chain tunic.

I'm just hoping by adding some leather vambraces to my current armor set up will be enough hinderance to train leather as well.

I'm currently training all five armors using

A visored helm (HP crossing helm)
Scale greaves (HC crossing greaves)
Reinforced leather gloves (Leather crossing gloves. Not heavy enough to train >< )
Chain shirt (LC crossing chain shirt)
Scale Aventail (LP crossing aventail)

If I remove the chain shirt and replace it with the double linked chain tunic and put leather vambraces on my arms, does anyone think that'll be enough to train leathers? I would really like to try to keep LC on my chest as when I wear leather my chest seems to take a real beating.

I currently only have about 30-40 ranks in all armors as a barbarian.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 08:54 AM CDT
It won't. You're basically going to be forced into leather on the torso, since the hinderance on it trains off easiest.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 09:12 AM CDT
Seli's Armory in Riverhaven has basically the same chest/abdomen/back only light chain tunic as the ones in Shard. Same hinderance and protection but 350 stones in weight vs 300-370 depending on which racial type one you get. And for about 1/20th the price if coins are at all a concern to you. (3.5 gold lirum vs almost 7 plat dokoras) It's the Chain Tunic: Double linked, metal.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 09:21 AM CDT
Ah, thanks! Coin is definitely a concern for me since I play in plat. As for wearing leather on my torso, I'm afraid that's probably right.

I'm doubting just leather vambraces is going to do it for me. I'll probably have to switch to leather torso and use lc for the arms and hands.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 12:25 PM CDT
I think the chain lorica in Crossing is pretty cheap.

[Rayje's Glass House]
You are surrounded by clear antique crystal walls decorated with massive stained glass murals.

Rayje tosses his stones from hand to hand.

I smile to look like I care. I laugh because I dont.
Re: Looking for chain 10/17/2006 12:54 PM CDT
might try getting some thick gloves

You feel certain that some well-made blight-ogre gloves appear to impose light maneuvering hindrance and offers:
good protection and fair damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and fair damage absorption for slice attacks.
good protection and moderate damage absorption for impact attacks.
fair protection and fair damage absorption for fire attacks.
fair protection and fair damage absorption for cold attacks.
moderate protection and fair damage absorption for electrical attacks.

at light they will probably help and can be made at modest skills into usable app's (mid 200 leather 140 Mech low 200 skinning). The vambraces as well should try and get reinforced vambraces tanned if feasible.

crocodile gets to fair hinderance in reinforced vambraces.

Wish I had kept my app on the mod/fair version of the gloves don't remember what the hinderance was.
Looking for forged chain armor 12/11/2006 05:57 PM CST
Ive been trying to find a forged chain hauberk for some time. Are there any chain forgers in the crossing? If so, can you tell me the appraisal of lc and hc hauberks (and/or augmented hauberks) that you have for sale?
Re: Looking for forged chain armor 12/11/2006 06:02 PM CST
http://geocities.com/skracrusader2001/

Crusader Taghz
AIM: Taghz98
Ranks needed for max stealth reduction in chain? 02/08/2010 08:22 PM CST
Under the current combat system, how many ranks in light and/or heavy chain do you need to work down stealth hinderance as much as possible? This is for an armor tert guild.

Thanks in advance

Re: Ranks needed for max stealth reduction in chain? 02/08/2010 08:26 PM CST
I think stealth hindrance is more dependent on stealth ranks and survival skillset placement than armor ranks/placement, though I could be wrong.

I know I got the annoying "You can't hide in all this armor!" messaging until stalking exp from HUNT pushed my stalking up enough.

"That's how I knew who you were. You were always like "Blah blah blah I'm a Barbarian oh-my-god." -my gf
Re: Ranks needed for max stealth reduction in chain? 02/08/2010 08:30 PM CST
Hmm really? Well I'm also survival tert. But I'm pretty sure armor ranks at least factor into the formula.

Re: Ranks needed for max stealth reduction in chain? 02/09/2010 07:58 AM CST
<<I know I got the annoying "You can't hide in all this armor!" messaging until stalking exp from HUNT pushed my stalking up enough.

This was around 100 ranks of stalk for one of mine. Armor prime, wearing HP. HC was lower but I'm not sure where. All capped forged armor. Hiding = 14 ranks.

Let Lyras win.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdaOeAxy0GU
Re: Ranks needed for max stealth reduction in chain? 05/07/2010 06:58 PM CDT
Best setup I've seen as far as stealth is concerend is a mix of lc and leather.

I haven't messed with bone or cloth armor though, but as a moon mage you can get light / light hind with a mix of lc and leather.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Prev_page Previous 1