Messaging error? 09/03/2016 08:36 AM CDT
<* Moving well, an ochre la'heke bites at you. You barely fail to block with targe.
<The teeth lands a light hit (1/23) that barely punctures the skin on the upper chest causing a slight welt.
<[You're bruised, solidly balanced with opponent in better position.]

<> stance

<You are currently using 83% of your evasion skill.
<You are currently using 100% of your weapon parry skill.
<You are currently using 0% of your shield block skill.
<You are attacking with 100% of your offensive skill.

<You tap a sealed targe with a reinforced design that you are wearing.
Re: Messaging error? 09/03/2016 12:08 PM CDT
Combat messaging is weird but you also have a flat chance of shield defense even without trying to use it... not sure if that could mitigate a hit or if it just shows up as the last defense checked.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Messaging error? 09/03/2016 02:02 PM CDT
IIRC Kodius said, way back at 3.0's release, that defensive combat messaging was kind of picked at random since everything is combined into a single Defensive Factor score, and there isn't really a way to pick which defense stopped the attack.
Re: Messaging error? 09/03/2016 09:32 PM CDT
Alright, that make sense. My best guess was that I somehow critically failed both the evasion and parry check, and since I was wearing the arm-worn shield that it gave that messaging. I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been wearing it at the time I wouldn't have gotten the messaging that I tried to block with it. But I also don't think it actually factored into my Defensive Factor, it's probably just the messaging.

Just noticed it since all of the attacks before and after that were evades or parries.