Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/22/2015 07:25 PM CDT
This whole thing started on the S'Kra Mur forum regarding getting us the claw bonus that we've been asking about for... over a decade? But Caraamon made a very solid point that it's unfair when races X, Y, and Z get a cool thing with mechanical advantages, and none of the others get something to balance. Let's face it, snapping is cool, just not that cool.

So I want to have a kinda brain-storming session here on the boards regarding how we can make the Brawling bonuses fair.

Currently, the following races get Brawling bonuses, and they do the following things: (taken from Elanthipedia)
Prydaen Prydaen claws are much stronger than normal and do quite a bit of slice damage. They receive a damage bonus to the claw and gouge commands.
Rakash Rakash in moonskin can bite without grappling and do a hefty amount of extra damage.
S'Kra S'Kra Mur have sharp fangs, and while they lack the Rakash ability to bite without grappling, they do additional damage while grappling.

I feel like currently Prydaen are way ahead of the curve here, given that they have two attacks with bonuses and no restrictions, whereas Rakash have to be in Moonskin (which they usually aren't) to get their one bonus, and S'Kra Mur can only use their one bonus while grappled.

Yes, three Guilds also have brawling stuff, but it's not uncommon for some guilds to have things that others don't, while the intent has long been for the races to all be mechanically equal.

The various Brawling moves are as follows, also stolen from Epedia:
PUNCH A straightforward attack using your fist.
CLAW Rake the enemy with your fingertips (or claws, if you've got them).
GOUGE Jab at the enemy with the fingertips.
SLAP An open-handed attack with the palm. Dreadfully embarrassing.
ELBOW Strike the enemy with your elbow, does not require a free hand.
KICK Attack by kicking your foot at the enemy. Can be done with both hands full.
BITE Bite at the enemy with your teeth.
BUTT Headbutt the enemy. Always good for a laugh.
KNEE Bring your knee up to hit an opponent.

Kinda limited. To broaden our options for who gets what kind of bonus, let's include Tactical moves:
BOB regenerates fatigue
CIRCLE increases position and debuffs enemy balance; no fatigue cost
WEAVE temporarily debuffs an enemy's defense in exchange for a fairly high fatigue cost
GRAPPLE enables certain brawling moves (like butt) and prevents some kinds of attacks. Also will prevent an opponent from standing if they are kneeling or prone. Using circle successfully while grappled will cause your opponent to lose balance. However, an unsuccessful circle can backfire and harm your balance.
SHOVE can knock opponents to the ground or to pole range. Can also break a grapple

Off the top of my head I feel like Dwarves should get a BUTT bonus (anyone else love the Dwalin/Balin greeting in The Hobbit), and if we're keeping with the Rakash only get a bonus in Moonskin thing then I'd suggest TACKLE and CIRCLE as well as the existing BITE. I'd need more time to think of other ideas though... anyone else want to tag in?

I
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 02:56 AM CDT
Elves should get a bonus to break grapple.
Halflings and gnomes should get a bonus to initiating grapple.
Elotheans should get a bonus to slap and flee.
Humans can snap their fingers and wish they had a bonus.
Kaldar should get a bonus to eye gouge but only when attempting to salute.
Gor-Tog should get a penalty to maintaining grapple with a small chance to "toss" their opponent into hiding while grappled, and a very small chance to break a neck when initiating grapple.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 07:20 AM CDT

> Halflings and gnomes should get a bonus to initiating grapple.

If anything, they should get extra bite damage on legs. More effective bobs. More fatiguing circles.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 12:30 PM CDT
>>If anything, they should get extra bite damage on legs. More effective bobs. More fatiguing circles.

Yes, this as well. Also I'd like to see an option vs. the taller races to run between legs and change from facing to behind.

"Game balance is sobbing over in the corner as it considers the ramifications of AoE Blufmor Garaen. Your spell slots send their condolences." - GM Raesh
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 01:18 PM CDT

Elotheans.. devastating headbutt.. that freak of nature forehead needs to be used for something!

Humans.. well, yah... a mean pinch?.. thru all those years of only having finger snaps so they do it all the time should build up major finger strength.. maybe a mean gouge?

Olvi.. blow smoke ring in your eyes, (tho again could do something with theyre fingers for all those years having a death grip on tarts)
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 11:32 PM CDT
The more I try to come up with a fair distribution of brawling bonuses, the more I start to think we should just axe all of the mechanical brawling bonuses for Prydaen, Rakash, and S'Kra Mur, and replace them with unique fluff messaging for the various brawling moves instead.

I
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/23/2015 11:46 PM CDT
Considering Rakash bite can be only used in moonskin, and moonskin doesn't happen as often as some might think, I would hardly call it much of a bonus. It's neat and cool if you're in combat when you're in moonskin, but it's also not very common.

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:05 AM CDT
And the Prydaen bonuses are balanced by their unique birthing locations.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:20 AM CDT

> Considering Rakash bite can be only used in moonskin, and moonskin doesn't happen as often as some might think, I would hardly call it much of a bonus. It's neat and cool if you're in combat when you're in moonskin, but it's also not very common.

So long as you're not in combat when you change into moonskin. Does that still have the penalties it used to have?
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:39 AM CDT
What is going on in here?

Everyone get away from brawling this instant.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 07:14 AM CDT
>And the Prydaen bonuses are balanced by their unique birthing locations.

> deposit all

After an agonizing public labor process, a teller arrives, collects your kit, gags a little, and gingerly places it in the vault for safekeeping.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 07:29 AM CDT
To this day, I honestly wonder what the intended outcome of that was. Obviously they didn't intend to become the biggest joke in DR history, but really, what else could you expect from something so banal and ridiculous.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 10:18 AM CDT
>> And the Prydaen bonuses are balanced by their unique birthing locations.

And the GM chimes in and sends the discussion thoroughly off-topic.

I
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 10:41 AM CDT
>>And the GM chimes in and sends the discussion thoroughly off-topic.
Kind of what we do.

>>S'Kra Mur claw bonus
I recall it being said by staff in the past that S'Kra claws are too brittle to be useful in combat.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 10:52 AM CDT
>And the GM chimes in and sends the discussion thoroughly off-topic.

Seems on topic to me. New racial penalty - Prydaen get a 3% higher exchange rate than every other race because cleanup costs.

- Starlear, Warrior Mage and Lieutenant of Ilithi's Crystal Vanguard -
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 11:29 AM CDT
>> I recall it being said by staff in the past that S'Kra claws are too brittle to be useful in combat.

That was said, then recognized as a probably mis-remembering and quietly retracted. But in any case, my vote now is for no race to get any sort of mechanical brawling bonus (it's unfair, unless everyone gets something of equal value) and instead to give the three beast-y races messaging that indicates their animal-y nature, but no more.

I
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:33 PM CDT
Fairness is rather boring.

Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:38 PM CDT
>Fairness is rather boring.

Well then, let's just give one race a bonus of 400 ranks in every skill and 200 in all stats.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 12:42 PM CDT
>Prydaen + Birthing Bonus + Higher Deposit Fees

= Me laughing very hard.

>So long as you're not in combat when you change into moonskin. Does that still have the penalties it used to have?

Yes and no. It does still stun the Rakash, though not for nearly as long as it used to, and it no longer throws you to the floor like a college kid after too many jello shots. Also, now thanks to the "early warning system" it's possible to know when it will be happening so you can clear out of combat before any of that happens. It also allows you to tactfully leave a populated area so you don't get the crazy stares from some people and comments of, "You should really clean up all that fur you left laying around. It's gross."

Your time for being forced PvP OPEN has ended. You have been set back to DON'T MUCK WITH ME UNLESS YOU TELL ME FIRST! and will not be able to change it for 24 hours.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 05:09 PM CDT
long long time ago i seem to recall that elves got a bonus with bows and elven longswords. This may have been a wives tale and/or changed since then.

But I say that to say this, why not bonus racials?

Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 07:36 PM CDT
>>Fairness is rather boring.

>Well then, let's just give one race a bonus of 400 ranks in every skill and 200 in all stats.

That sounds rather boring, too. Maybe if that race exploded in sunlight or something.

Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 07:54 PM CDT
>That sounds rather boring, too. Maybe if that race exploded in sunlight or something.

Nope! You're giving them commensurate penalties to go with the benefits they get (aka balance aka fairness). And you said that was boring.
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/24/2015 08:41 PM CDT
>> But I say that to say this, why not bonus racials?

I'm not opposed to racial bonuses period, I just would prefer it if all races were mechanically equal, which would mean that if three races get a brawl bonus, all races should get a brawl bonus. Or, alternately, none get it. Either way, it's fair.

I

"[A]ll PC necromancers are now redeemed good guys..." ~ GM Raesh
Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/25/2015 07:20 AM CDT
I don't think all races should get a brawl bonus, only where it makes sense to do so. I think all races should get a racial weapon bonus.

I.E. Elves don't need a brawl bonus, but a bonus using elven weapons would be nice.

Re: Racial Equality and Brawling Bonuses 04/25/2015 10:39 AM CDT
There was some talk way back in the day about a normalized system of racial bonuses but development oomph never consolidate behind it. Mostly these things have been removed over the years, though, because there was no way for players to know about most of them.