Brawling Gear 01/12/2014 08:24 AM CST
Does brawling gear actually do anything, other than add to burden and item count? I see 0 empirical data from my POV to support damage actually being increased with brawling gear compared to bare hands compared to plate sleeves. Also, are there plans to give Brawling as a skill some more love. It's quite underwhelming and basically just a simple source of TDPs. I am open to anyones' thoughts on this and would appreciate Kodius' input. Also, can brawling gear please be brought into line with actual weapon apps and act like actual weapons?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Brawling Gear 01/12/2014 08:38 AM CST
I consistently notice a difference using spiked knuckles vs not (or knuckles vs any other brawling hand weapon), but it's only a difference of 1-2 damage levels per punch. I'd like to see a little out of brawling gear too. I think one of the huge issues is that you have gear with damage stats that don't match actual brawling moves; it's pretty stupid that there's good hand gear with slice damage when there's no hand attack that uses slice.
Re: Brawling Gear 01/12/2014 08:57 AM CST
Thanks for responding. It's interesting that you mentioned that, because I settled with spiked knuckles (maybe have had them on for 10 months) too, due to the damage setup, but that is the exact piece I have done testing with and notice 0 improvement. I am using them on vicious intercessors, so not sure if that's the reason. Maybe armor is just being too evil on brawling. Did you do tests on critters that have armor and also parry and block with shields?

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Brawling Gear 01/12/2014 01:56 PM CST
It's on elders and I think they use shields and are considered armored (definitely against slice). Maybe I notice because I am not capping OF against my critter and you are against yours? If you're blasting them max possible with bare fists already, you might not notice the knuckles. In any case, I was wrong about it being two damage levels. I just did a lot of punching, and the only difference is that with the knuckles I occasionally land a "strong" hit (6) and without the knuckles, I don't see any at all past "hard" (5).

Not impressive assistance from this gear for sure, at least for punches.

Some darkstone spiked knuckles trains the brawling skill.

You are certain that it could do:
a lot of puncture damage
no slice damage increase
a lot of impact damage
Re: Brawling Gear 01/12/2014 03:44 PM CST
Squanto, if you want to, feel free to send me data and I can tell you for sure whether there is a difference. Best would be damage from 100+ swings each a) with gear, b) with sleeves, and c) bare fists.

Technically it would be best if each shot were against a fully-healthy creature, since damage can go up when you're hitting a wounded one, but that would be a real pain. We can make up for the noise of that with more data points though, which is why I suggest 100+ (more would be better, if you can get a script to record).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Brawling Gear 01/13/2014 09:20 AM CST
Should use HC steel or kertig/haralun spiked knuckles. Darkstone will be the same damage-wise as medium carbon steel.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Brawling Gear 01/13/2014 10:22 AM CST

Hey Squanto, try haralun knuckles, not spiked knuckles. Counter intuitive (at first) I know but try it out.

That's the only piece of gear I've felt any difference with, and its still pretty tiny.

Brawling gear could use a bit of an upgrade from the staff.
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 12:05 AM CST
I was actually coming here to ask this very question, because I've just recently returned and was going to pick up brawling on a new character for RP reasons. So its not even worth it to worry about brawling gear(other than a parry stick, obviously)?
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 09:31 AM CST
>I was actually coming here to ask this very question, because I've just recently returned and was going to pick up brawling on a new character for RP reasons. So its not even worth it to worry about brawling gear(other than a parry stick, obviously)?

For RP purposes? No, it's not needed. I've taken Brawling up as one of my primary weapons and have had no difficulty training it without brawling gear. It's not the greatest weapon if you plan to use it in PvP or want massive hits, but it's a a do-able weapon in PvE.
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 11:17 AM CST
I was gifted a pair of haralun knuckles when I was just starting (9 months). I wreck stuff at level with punches. The rest of the hits are pretty tame. Can you make things like elbow and knee spikes in the crafting system? I've been using stuff from Guildfest I believe, and they seem to work well, but I'd like something on par with these sweet, sweet knuckles.

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child." -Heinlein
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 12:32 PM CST
>brawling gear

I've found that my chain gloves work just fine.

I'm a bit neurotic about carrying a ton of junk on my characters because I like to reserve my strength for carrying more loot and not a bunch of gear. Basically, I'd rather be burdened by skins and boxes and not weapons that I may or may not make use of.

You are Kasto del'Fawkraste, a Rakash.
Your face is a smooth, glossy grey. Your bottle-nosed snout is full of tiny sharp teeth, and a fine mist of salt-tinged air sprays from a hole in the back of your head as you breathe.
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 12:32 PM CST
>>Cardinale01: I was actually coming here to ask this very question, because I've just recently returned and was going to pick up brawling on a new character for RP reasons. So its not even worth it to worry about brawling gear(other than a parry stick, obviously)?

Some of the early brawling gear was of questionable value. Now, you should definitely use brawling gear, especially footwraps. You can get forged steel gear for a reasonable price. (Keep in mind that you can also bash with your shield if you are holding it.)

My sortable list of all Trader-owned shops and inventory: http://www.elanthia.org/TraderShops/

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Brawling Gear 03/03/2014 09:45 PM CST
Idk if brawling gear means anything, I'm thinking not.

- Buuwl
Re: Brawling Gear 03/04/2014 01:17 AM CST
It depends on what armor you're wearing. If you're wearing plate mail, you probably don't need it. If you're wearing leather, you may. Armor improves brawling damage based on it's type (nothing else matters). Brawling gear replaces any damage due to armor, so a person in leather armor may want to upgrade.

Problem is, as far as I can tell, the brawling system was kind of tacked on, and it shows in many places. The damage categories are huge, so it's difficult to pull any info from them, and they can't be compared to normal weapons. Plus throw in the standard/increase types of damage and it gets even more complicated.

In short, if you plan to brawl seriously, it doesn't hurt to get the weapons. Generally steel ones will run you 15 plat or so a piece.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html