hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 11:15 AM CST
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what hand claws are supposed to be in terms of DR lore, but I would think they would be used for "claw"ing creatures. However, it appears as though I'm using my fingers. Is it the messaging that is messed up, or do I need to use a different brawling weapon?

Thanks! Logs below!

>claw
< You claw your fingers at a giant black leucro. A giant black leucro dodges, barely leaning out of harm's reach.
[You're incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]
R>inv weapon
You are holding a darkstone arzfilt in your right hand.
All of your weapons:

a blue-grey steel staff acid-etched with geometric runes
some steel elbow spikes
an electrum-hilted skinning knife displaying the Warrior Mage Guild crest
some steel-toed footwraps
some steel hand claws
[Type INVENTORY HELP for more options]
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 01:20 PM CST
I always imagined the hand claws kind of like Wolverine's. I think clawing is more fingertip raking.

"If swords ever cross, the Barbarian shall be the one left standing." - Guild Leader Agonar
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 01:21 PM CST
Try a punch, I believe that is what hand claws do.

Chatter[Sava] well I bled all night and didn't become diseased
Chatter[Tincan] That's what she said?
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 01:26 PM CST
Hand Claws are basically the most useless weapon in the game, from what I understand. They're slicing weapons with a penalty to impact and are only used with an attack that penalizes slice and bonuses impact.
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 04:39 PM CST
<<Hand Claws are basically the most useless weapon in the game, from what I understand. They're slicing weapons with a penalty to impact and are only used with an attack that penalizes slice and bonuses impact.

I hope that's not true, but it does seem to be the case.
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/19/2013 05:23 PM CST
I imagine hand claws are a less ornate version of http://www.swordsofmight.com/dragon-hand-claw.aspx

Useful for punching someone, not so great if you're trying to literally claw someone.

Logic aside, I suspect it has to do with the mechanically checking stuff. I suspect punch has "if hand armor or hand weapons are present, use them." Brass knuckles and spiked knuckles wouldn't bonus gouge, and I'm not sure if the system can tell the difference between them and claws.

Plus, if claws also bonused claw/gouge/etc, why would you ever use any other item? (yes I know there are some reasons, but it still destroys weapon equality)

The only way to make it equal is to make it so neither weapons nor armor bonused punch, and that wouldn't make a lot of sense either.

All in all, this just seems simpler.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: hand claws and clawing? 02/20/2013 01:31 PM CST
While I can see what you are trying to get at, the way it is right now is simply not right. Handclaws are +slice/puncture and zero impact. Punch de-emphasizes slice and emphasizes impact. What purpose do claws serve over knuckles? Knuckles work together with the manuever in question, claws are at odds with it. What I would like to see happen is knuckles accenting PUNCH and claws accenting CLAW. Or something along those lines atleast. The way it is now just doesnt make any sense at all. One of the nice things about brawling gear in the first place is being able to diversify the KIND of damage you are able to do. Puncture/Slice/Impact. Without the gear, brawling is heavily heavily weighted towards impact - which makes sense and I do not mind this. But, what purpose does adding brawling gear with varied damage types serve (handclaws) when the only move they work with penalizes those types? If the claws are so awesome that they NEED the penalty (they are not) then just nerf claws and remove the way punch is weighted. Either way something needs to change.