Tactics vs. Brawling 01/20/2013 09:23 PM CST
Could someone (hopefully red-name) please give some detail as to what is covered by Tactics and what is covered by Brawling? There's a bunch of conflicting information out there, especially on elanthipedia, and I'd like to clear it up so confusion doesn't spread.

~ Player of Farman et al.
Re: Tactics vs. Brawling 01/20/2013 09:26 PM CST
> help combat-guide 8

UNARMED COMBAT (BRAWLING)

In order to brawl, you must be at melee with the creature you're fighting. Brawling maneuvers consist of such attacks like FEINT, SLICE, CHOP, KICK, PUNCH, SWEEP, BITE, GRAB, ELBOW, KNEE, and HEADBUTT. Just like with regular weapons, each attack has its own pros and cons. Each of these pros and cons can be viewed with (maneuver) HELP FULL.

To continue, type HELP COMBAT-GUIDE 9.

> help combat-guide 9

COMBAT TACTICS AND MULTIPLE OPPONENTS

As mentioned before, each type of combat maneuver has its own pros and cons. Each non-aggressive maneuver such as dodging, parrying, weaving, bobbing, or circling have their own pros and cons. These maneuvers train a skill called Tactics.

Additionally, training against multiple opponents will teach your tactics skills as you become more familiar with handling more than one enemy at a time. However, be wary, because fighting against more than two monsters at a time may put some strain on you and you may begin to lose the fight!

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Tactics vs. Brawling 01/26/2013 01:07 AM CST
< Additionally, training against multiple opponents will teach your tactics skills as you become more familiar with handling more than one enemy at a time. However, be wary, because fighting against more than two monsters at a time may put some strain on you and you may begin to lose the fight! >

Ugh. Should I assume that whether or not this skill moves when used successfully is dependent on a critter's "level", moreso than how many of them there are? I have 161 in Tactics, and am only just stepping up to Young Ogres and Blood Wolves (I'm not a very combat-oriented Empath, and am trying to broaden my horizons. And, y'know, circle.) With my GS up, though, I've had eight of the beasties on me at any given time (some of them Manipulated to Friendly, of course), and I've yet to see my Tactics worked at all. It's going to be a pain in the tuckus getting every other combat skill up to 160 so I can take on critters at that level, if that's the case.

But, just to be sure I'm not doing it wrong... using the BOB, WEAVE, and CIRCLE maneuvers against critters of an appropriate level SHOULD work? Do I need to be STANCE'd any particular way?

~player of Aislynn & Ris
Re: Tactics vs. Brawling 01/26/2013 02:23 AM CST
>>Ugh. Should I assume that whether or not this skill moves when used successfully is dependent on a critter's "level",

Tactics is currently trained like a weapon. You need to use maneuvers like BOB, WEAVE and CIRCLE on enemies that are challenging for your amount of Tactics skill. The number of enemies in the room should have no impact on how fast you can learn.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes