Brawling Experience 08/23/2012 02:28 PM CDT
I'm curious as to how to effectively train brawling. I've decided to pursue it as a primary weapon, however I am beginning to regret that immensely. I understand that brawling damage is relatively stat based, however with over 200 ranks I'm rarely hitting black leucros that hard, usually 4/23-8/23, slightly more if ambushing.

I have no problem killing them quickly, but my main concern is the experience gain. If I'm given a steady stream of leucros, it takes me over an hour to lock brawling. I'm beginning to think that dancing with them teaches as well if not better than actually killing them. I've purchased some of the 25 stone steel spiked knuckles thinking that more damage would = faster XP, but with such light hits this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any brawling experts out there that can offer any advice? Will Combat 3.0 make brawling a legitimate weapon choice?

~ Ziazu
Re: Brawling Experience 08/23/2012 05:55 PM CDT
<<brawling gear>>

Use of brawling gear is dependent on your armor choice. Metal armors don't gain a real benifet from them and in the case of heavy plate they can actually reduce the damage.

<<for training>>

I've always used the passive bob method to train brawling. It really does seem that it isn't on the same level as other weapons at comperable skill.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Brawling Experience 08/23/2012 06:44 PM CDT
>>with over 200 ranks I'm rarely hitting black leucros that hard, usually 4/23-8/23, slightly more if ambushing.

Unfortunately that's about right. At ~250 ranks I get hits in that range unbuffed against baby/fledgling gryphons (wearing chain gloves). I can push it to 5/23-10/23 if I zerk Wolverine. It doesn't take me an hour to lock it though. Maybe 30min at the longest. I lock ME/Brawling/LT/Offhand all in less than an hour. Gryphons are awesome like that though. I'm also not sure how much advantage my Prydaen claws might be giving me.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Brawling Experience 08/23/2012 08:31 PM CDT
>I'm also not sure how much advantage my Prydaen claws might be giving me.

I seem to remember claws being comparable to store-bought longsword/broadsword slices.
Re: Brawling Experience 08/23/2012 08:33 PM CDT
>>I seem to remember claws being comparable to store-bought longsword/broadsword slices.

Sounds about right, give or take.

~The Prydaen~
Re: Brawling Experience 08/24/2012 08:32 AM CDT
my barb has brawling as his main weapon, 547 ranks. totally regretting that decision now, to the point i'm bringing up 2he and 2hb to become 1st and 2nd weapons. maybe not before 3.0 but it'll be close enough i'll get there once it happens. it takes me about 20 or 30 min in zombie maulers to lock it attacking non stop with non stop swarms. any other weapon takes half the time or less. so my advice...take the free brawling ranks when dancing but choose something else easier to lock for main and secondary weapon. I've been backtraining for a couple months and i feel its worth it, as i've read post similar to yours about people with many more ranks than me struggling with end game critters. I guess the other option is hopin that 3.0 will improve learning when brawling.

Sniper Shinumo
Re: Brawling Experience 08/24/2012 01:22 PM CDT
Thanks so much for the input. I've decided to go ahead and backtrain a bit now. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when 3.0 comes out but having a backup plan is nice. Hopefully 3.0 works out best for the both of us, but if not good luck with your backtraining!

~ Ziazu