AOE in tournaments 10/18/2011 01:10 PM CDT
I'm curious why damaging AOE is typically not allowed in tournaments when many pro-stealthers tell us that is our defense against stealth. Why isn't the response to complaints about AOE, "train shield", much like the response to complaints about stealth is "train perception"? Not trying to start a GvG argument, but something's wrong when we are expected to use other guilds' tools (eg CV runes) while being disallowed our own in order to be on more equal footing against an opponent. Probably the wrong folder for this, but this issue is specific to tournaments.
Re: AOE in tournaments 10/18/2011 01:22 PM CDT
Typically, it's because you endanger random people and not just the person you're currently fighting. It really doesn't have anything to do with stealth.
Re: AOE in tournaments 10/18/2011 01:59 PM CDT
If there is only one 1 v 1 fight going on then AOEs(any kind) are usually allowed to my knowledge. What you want to avoid is casting chain lightning in the room with the hopes of affecting one person in stealth, when 4 other people are in the room which you don't want to affect.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: AOE in tournaments 10/18/2011 01:59 PM CDT
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the reason AOEs were disallowed because of it being the counter to stealth.
Re: AOE in tournaments 10/19/2011 12:41 AM CDT
<<Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the reason AOEs were disallowed because of it being the counter to stealth.

Not wanting to hit bystanders is part of it. The other part is that there has always been a War Mage capable of killing everyone else in a tourney with a single AOE. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a tourney.
Re: AOE in tournaments 10/19/2011 07:02 AM CDT
>>>>The other part is that there has always been a War Mage capable of killing everyone else in a tourney with a single AOE. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a tourney.

Not anymore. Back when Tropicalo (original) used to tourney then it was part of it. Right now it's solely because of bystanders, and lately almost all AoE has been allowed. Roars on the other hand are generally banned because of how strong they are when grouped.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: AOE in tournaments 01/23/2012 02:59 PM CST

I honestly don't understand why people who want to spectate in a tournament don't have a moonie use shadewatch mirror. Its been a long time since I've been to one but I vaguely remember this being done.

You get to see all the action at a safe distance, course you miss out when you see people hide but thats about it.
Re: AOE in tournaments 01/27/2012 12:20 AM CST
>You get to see all the action at a safe distance, course you miss out when you see people hide but thats about it.

And the mirror only covers one room. It's easier to move around and follow the action on your own.
Re: AOE in tournaments 01/31/2012 01:59 PM CST
>And the mirror only covers one room. It's easier to move around and follow the action on your own.

It'd be nice to see some official way of being a spectator, maybe a function that could be tied to a seating area that allows you to follow someone's view.

-Dek

"That's what she said."
No..
"...That's what Leilond said."

Total Ranks Displayed: 1337
Re: AOE in tournaments 01/31/2012 02:55 PM CST
>>It'd be nice to see some official way of being a spectator, maybe a function that could be tied to a seating area that allows you to follow someone's view.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, buuuuut this is exactly how it is set up in the Wyvern Arena which takes place every Monday :) You should come and at least watch one if not participate--They're fun!

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: AOE in tournaments 01/31/2012 03:11 PM CST
Leilond beat me to it, the Arena mechanics are wonderful!
Re: AOE in tournaments 02/09/2012 06:43 AM CST

Oldish post but have to agree. The 'observe' option in the Wyvern arena is great. As a side note, outside of that I'm reasonably sure a mirror follows a person, not a room, so you do get to watch a whole fight in it.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: AOE in tournaments 02/09/2012 05:04 PM CST
<<As a side note, outside of that I'm reasonably sure a mirror follows a person, not a room, so you do get to watch a whole fight in it.

Correct, except to clarify that a few things don't appear in the mirror and the follow mechanic isn't immediate. It pulses every few seconds and if the person is in a different location at a pulse then the mirror moves its focus to their new location meaning that its possible to miss stuff if the fight is mobile. The focus also breaks if they move indoors, but that's not usually an issue in a tournament.
Re: AOE in tournaments 02/10/2012 08:51 AM CST
We have been using mirrors at the Northern Watch spars...well since we started them. Works like a charm and I don't recall ever thinking we missed anything in a fight. Of course, you only get to follow one person around.

Madigan