Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/02/2009 05:45 PM CST
When: Saturday 2/7 10pm est
Where: Therenborough Amphitheater, northerly from the bank.
What: Therengian Ranged Duel

Rules: Fighters will be paired off in some fashion. Each will take one shot at their opponent with some ranged or thrown weapon. The winner will be the one that inflicts the heaviest degree of external bleeder upon their opponent. We'll be using king of the hill system, similar to Zrxa's archery contests. Winner of initial pairing becomes "king" or maybe more aptly "Baron" of the hill. Winners of subsequent pairings will then face off against the exsisting Baron of the hill and so on until an ultimate winner is decided.

No entry fees. A prize will be awarded to the overall champion.

~Mammoth Rider Maulem Akavame, Death Dealer in training
Re: Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/03/2009 01:31 PM CST
Sounds like fun. Just a few things to consider if you haven't already:

-Will players alternate shots, and if so, any stunning shots must be waited out so that the person that got hit gains balance before his turn.

-Will players be allowed to buff up at all? What about before each shot? If so, as a Barb, can I dance Eagle before my shot and then dance badger before my opponent's?

-Will bow + crossbow users be allowed to get full aim? If so then we will be seeing some nasty hits. :P Will a bow user be allowed to put up his bow and use a shield when it's his/her turn to defend?

-If I get shot at and my arm is lost, will I get healed so I can attack back, which would give me the advantage at being at full health again?

I bring these up not because I care about all the details, but to help avoid some confusion in case you don't already have it covered.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/03/2009 05:42 PM CST
Good questions, Vinnie. This is kinda an "on the fly" idea I'm working on, so I'll address each:

>>Alternating shots.
A very good question. My original idea was to have it so that both fired near simultaneously, but now realizing what a nightmare that might be, I think we'll have the pairing roshambo to see who gets first up. Then wait out the stun if any before the other gets to shoot too.

>>Buffs
As with most of my fights, no buffs. Mainly because I like to see contests of skill as opposed to contests of who can stuff the most mana in whatever spell. This would include no dances, roars, zerks, khri, or any sort of buff at all. Also, along these lines, no hiding and sniping.

>>Full aim/shield use.
Yes to full aim. Each will be given their full opportunity to fire at their leisure. Again, the order will be determined by a quick roshambo. As for shield use, I'll say yes this time, but we may change future iterations of this event to no shields depending on how things go.

>>Healed after shooting.
I'm gonna say no for this go round. One of the downsides to losing the roshambo will be to suffer the penalty of shooting wounded. Granted, this may be excused if, say, someones entire right arm gets shot off and they can't shoot back. I plan to have empaths on hand with me in the pit for helping judge and to heal folks after they shoot.

Thanks for the great questions. Some I had considered, some I hadn't. Again, this is kinda impromptu for me so I haven't done a ton of planning like I sometimes do for these fights. Hope to see a lot turnout so we can give this "theme fight" format a good test.

Re: Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/03/2009 09:23 PM CST
Sounds good, Maulem. I'll definitely try to make it.

Vinjince

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."

- Sima Yi
Re: Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/04/2009 04:07 AM CST
Can I advance them while they aim. If I am holding my greatsword and get to pole, I got a chance to parry their shot. And that is just another defense, right?

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Legendary Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Therengian Ranged Duel, Saturday 2/7 10pm est 02/04/2009 04:46 PM CST
That's um...commendable but a bit ridiculous for a ranged competition. But, since you brought it up...

All shots, taken or given, will be from missile range.

Sorry, Mags.