Changes 09/11/2001 03:42 PM CDT
There are a few changes going in this afternoon..

1) A reduction in effective armor ranks (for both creatures and players) as balance falls below solid.

2) A check in the weapons experience awarded when 'parrying' to prevent weapons exp from being given above the cap for that creature.

3) A reduction in the 'cap increase' given for multiple opponent situations.

4) A reduction in the amount of multiple opponent experience given per attack.

5) An adjustment to weapon experience per hit (a decrease in the weighting for damage done and increase weighting in the 'to hit' difficulty).

Regards,

GM Damissak
Advance Changes 09/12/2001 08:18 AM CDT
I've released the new advance verb code.

Hopefully, it will clean up several bugs that were appearing in terms of engagement. Two things you will notice:

1. The "why bother?" message is finally gone.

2. If either your front or flank are open, you will be able to advance without retreating first. I will watch this and make certain it doesn't cause any unintended problems.

-- GM Veyl
Combat Changes 12/11/2001 07:57 PM CST
A myriad of changes to combat will go live tonight (once I can get the announcement posted in NEWS and get the process started). I'll post in the General Combat folder when they are all live.

The changes are highlighted by the much anticipated changes to the impact of agility and reflex in combat. They will have a larger impact at higher ranks than they've had in the past.

There will be some other changes which come along with that.

Weapon balance will mean more than it has in the past and will work with your agility (more analagous to the way suitedness and strength work together).

Damage calculations will change some to give more benefit to the lighter weapon types.

Armor protection due to ranks will increase.

The impact of balance on the various defenses is changing to allow futher differentiation amongst the active defenses.

New weapon caps will be put in place. Weapon (and shield) wielding creatures will now have appropriately higher caps than similarly skilled creatures without those additional defenses.

Defenses caps will also changing some as well. Most notable here will be the changes to the way armor caps are calculated. They will have their own caps instead of relying on the caps of the other three active defenses.

Multiple opponent experience gain has been modified to better reward hunting at level.

Armed creatures should, in general, be a bit easier to hit.

The ability for TM spells to completely destroy player armor will be reduced. It will still be quite possible to cause significant damage (just more difficult to completely destroy).

Stuns at very low health should be less frequent.

Damaged weapons will now provide reduced damage potential (similar to the way damaged armor provides reduced protection and absorption).

Hmm. I think that is a decent summary. There will be appropriate NEWS and Announcements when / as the changes go live.

As always, we will monitor the changes closely and appreciate any constructive feedback.

Regards,
GM Damissak
Pending Changes to Movement and Combat Logging Abuse 01/02/2002 07:28 PM CST
At some point in time on 09 January 2002, we will be releasing a change to some code that handles movement in combat, as well as the penalties for logging at melee.

1. You must now retreat to missile range before climbing out of a room.

2. You must be at missile range in order to follow someone out of a room.

(In short, you can't leave a room if you're not at missile range.)

3. Drag is not affected by this change at this time.

4. Combat logging. This is a significant one. Holes in the existing code that prevented it from providing an effective deterrant have been patched. All creatures at melee when you log and trigger the abuse mechanics will re-appear at melee when you return. I remind that logging out of the game to avoid death is an abuse of game mechanics, and repeated abuse of this may result in an official warning and appropriate repercussions.

-- GM Veyl
2 Changes to Multiple Opponent Penalty 01/05/2002 02:42 PM CST
1) Hidden / invisible creatures will no longer cause a penalty.

2) Creatures will now cause a multiple opponent penalty on other creatures when facing / attacking them.

GM Damissak
Re: Pending Changes to Movement and Combat Logging Abuse 01/09/2002 06:46 PM CST
The system is now live.

-- GM Veyl