I "know" you're all curious, so.... 09/24/2001 06:42 AM CDT
Heya Gang.

I wanted to spit out a post and let you know what's up with me and why you've not seen me... at all.

First. A week ago my wife had to go in for a surgery. I knew about it for a few weeks and prepared myself to stay as close to her as possible whenever possible. She is fine right now. Just a little sore but still as beautiful as ever. Baby is doing fine as well.

That last line make ya blink? Me too when she told me but it's always cool as heck. Yes, myself and my wife are going to have another child. That will make offspring #4. Alot of you know we already have 3 sons (Hellions I call them) ages 8, 6 and 4. We are fairly certian this will be another son. But we won't know for sure till the kid pops out. If it is, I'll have my own infield for the Cleveland Indians. The 'bad' news about it. The kid is due like... March 11th or so. So I'll probably not make it to Vegas this year. My family is way more important. Although, each of you and my fellow GM's are also part of my family in my eyes.

And, third. Here at work my boss approached me and said. "I need you to program something that we can burn on a CD for our customers". Hey, no problem. In the past 6 months I've learned HTML (hand code, not some front end to do the word for ya), DHTML, Javascript, MS Access 2000 (for our database), some SQL, Some Flash 5, Some Macromedia director 8.5 (Shockwave Flash), 3D Studio Max, Character Studio 2.1 4 AND... Visual Basic. (All of this does me almost no good where I live. Ohio is still in the stone age when it comes to computer/tech stuff. That is no joke. ISP's here are one step above a guy with a decent connection in his basement. Because of this, they pay people that do this stuff for a living just about what they do an assistant manager at McDonald's. Good thing I'm an "Electrical Engineer". I make a little more than that.)

I've never coded anything with it's own front end or anything hardcore in C++... which is what I am attempting to do. It's eating up alot of the time I have when I'm not near my wife. Not only that, like the other languages/programs, I have to learn it on my own. I have no instructor to look at and go "But why in the hell would I even "USE" a 'private' when I'm not worried about those variables" or "Good gawd! A pointer that points to a function which then uses a referance?". I'll admit, It's burning me out. It's been too much in such a short period of time.

I've come to know now, even I have limits. I picked up on Simu's GSL very very quick. Reason being, that was my first coding language and I had "Amazing" teachers. Gonk, Smitty, Treveri and tons of other we're what made it possible. My background in electronics let me pick up on the boolean logic which is a "must" for any programming language. I only wish I had the same for the other things.

To sum it all up. Until I finish learning C++ and MS Visual C++... You won't see much of me at all. I won't let the guild suffer. If I or Solomon or Maelona feel that the guild is suffering too much, I will step down as the guild leader and make room for someone who has the time and desire and the love that I do.

I've given this guild 2 1/2+ years and enjoyed every bit. Be paitent with me.

Hope that explains some things. Be good and be safe gang. But most of all, have fun. That's what we are all here for.

GM Royce