Question about Experience 06/25/2017 08:32 PM CDT
I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day... as we brainstormed solutions to a method of training I'm trying to incorporate.
You see, I'd like to try and keep as many types of weapons learning as possible. Right now thought, it seems once I get 6 weapons going, one of them has cleared before I can "lock" the 7th. I've expressed that it feels like the more intelligence I have, the longer it takes to 'lock' a skill, and hence the least amount of weapons I can keep going. Where my other "low intelligence" characters can seem to keep more weapons going at once, perhaps because they don't have such large pools to fill?

So here are some questions... what's the best way to train mentals so that you can keep the most amount of skills pulsing at a time? Is it high intel (larger pool) and low wisdom (less pulse power)? Or perhaps, it is low intel (smaller pool, easier to lock) and higher wisdom (bigger pulses)?

I was wondering what folks have thought about this? Any one have a good time of keeping most weapons moving along, and have any advice on how this can be done? Currently, my defenses are much higher than my weapons because defenses are always moving, while weapons lag behind as I switch and switch and switch. :)
Bran
PS one more thought... is intel the best way to train anyways? Because I read on the Elanthipedia that pulses are based on a "fraction" of a pool size? So theoretically... if we increase the pool size (intel) then we are increasing the fractional pulse each time too, right?
Gah, this makes more questions the more and more I think about it. Thanks ahead of time for the answers/advice
Re: Question about Experience 06/25/2017 09:09 PM CDT
Let's say you can generate weapon experience at a rate of e, and let's assume that e doesn't depend on which weapon you're working (not exactly true, but a decent first approximation). Each skill also absorbs experience at a rate of a (again, this varies somewhat between skills for a number of reasons, but let's ignore that for now). You can keep n skills moving if e - na > 0. You're trying to make n bigger by making a smaller, which is... perverse. You won't see any benefit from doing so. Instead, you should focus on making e larger.

But yes, if you want to tank a, then you want all your mentals low.
Re: Question about Experience 06/26/2017 09:14 AM CDT
<I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day... as we brainstormed solutions to a method of training I'm trying to incorporate.

I think i spoke to you briefly IG about what 7 weapons are best to train. Now i see what that question was about. I believe you are overthinking this. My advice is you just do what you enjoy and try not to stress out over the little things like "am i doing this perfectly". About the only being able to keep 7 weapon skills moving at one time. You might want to change what you hunt because I have been able to keep 10 weapons moving at once ever since i tried doing it. What i noticed when i was checking that stuff was if it takes more than 10 mins to lock a weapon i was not hunting where i should be. I think 7 mins to lock was optimal as far as what i was supposed to be hunting. All that said, skill sets drain at different rates and i'm weapon prime. That drains faster than lets say a weapon tert guild so you should be able to lock more (in theory). On stat's i suggest just keeping them all equal until they are at least 40. I train all mine equal all the way now because that's where they are going to end up anyways right? Plus most things are a stat contest now days anyways so why have a weakness. But back to where I started. Just have fun and enjoy the ride and remember, it's the journey not the destination.

Re: Question about Experience 06/26/2017 01:41 PM CDT
I have better luck cycling before ML. My goal is to start by getting each weapon to >3 then cycling to the lowest one after each kill. I keep repeating till mind state is > 31. I don't push it past this because I don't see a reason to "accidentally" waste bits by killing something at 33/34 and "loosing" the overflow bits.

I've pushed intel much higher than wisdom because I usually get blocks of DR time, so I want to have big full pools to take advantage of the off-line drain.

~Hunter Hanryu
"Even adjusting the pace for Simu-Soon timescales, there is no way Mech Lore is still trainable in 2014 imo" - Apu(2013)
Re: Question about Experience 06/27/2017 01:35 AM CDT
I use Hanryuu's method also. Get everything moving in rotation, then rotate them regularly, each time pushing them like 4-5 mindstates higher.
Re: Question about Experience 06/27/2017 07:29 PM CDT
Some really great responses and ideas, I just wanted to thank everyone for writing me back. And I hope to hear more from folks that may have other ideas. Again, thanks for the awesome feedback on what works for you!
-Bran
Re: Question about Experience 02/05/2018 01:31 PM CST
If you are killing too fast then you will not be able to train efficiently. Swarms are essential to training all weapons as well as using the proper attacks and also the proper weapons. Try using light weapons without impressive damage. This is especially important cause using weapons that are too powerful can hamper your ability to learn many weapons at once just because of killing targets too fast and you end up with nothing to hit.

Another point was addressed earlier with regards to what you are hunting. If you have your defenses higher you can probably safely move up to a more difficult hunt and still train all weapons via the mastery skills which should naturally climb above the rest of your weapons. Even if you miss, you can learn from an attack.

The last issue is if you are primary or secondary weapon you can run into trouble simply because of the speed which those skills pulse. If you are a guild that is weapon primary or secondary having higher wisdom will make it even more difficult to get them all training because of it increasing pulse rate further. In this instance I would just push INT ahead of WIS and focus on using jabs and feints mostly.

I strongly suspect the right hunt will change all your issues between learning rate and amount the critter swarms.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Question about Experience 05/26/2018 06:33 PM CDT

>because of it increasing pulse rate further.

I know this is an old post, but I have to correct one thing, wisdom does NOT increase pulse rate these days, that was changed years ago. All skills pulse in groups (I'm not sure how they're sorted out) every 200 seconds, Group A will pulse then 20 seconds later Group B will pulse, etc, etc. This happens every 200 seconds regardless of your mentals.
Re: Question about Experience 06/10/2018 04:42 PM CDT
Wisdom never effected pulse rate, although it was a very persistent myth. Every character in game pulses the same skills at the exact same time. This is a core system mechanic that has never changed, to my knowledge.

Eating blue flowers, on the other hand... who knows?