Question on gaining ranks 07/23/2016 10:30 AM CDT
OK. So I sort of understand Primary/secondary/tert skills and experience gain. Meaning I know that I'll gain less tert skills than primary ones with the same amount of time invested.

My question is, what could one expect to gain in each in an equal amount of time?

For example if my Paladin has 15 in all stats across the board, and spent 24hrs training plate, 24hrs on Large Edged weapons and then 24hrs on athletics, what would the end result be in ranks gained?

I'm not sure how to calculate that.
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/23/2016 10:58 AM CDT

Not sure if there is a way to accurately calculate this. One thing to note, you would have to also specify a skill range for the calculations. The reason for this is that tertiary/secondary skills have different learning rates depending on how high they are.
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/23/2016 02:03 PM CDT
We could use that as an estimate (a bad one), and the pulse timers here to guess drain rate: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Experience

Napkin math (again, could be really off) puts it something like this (compared to your primary skill with poor mental stats.

SkillsetLow-end mentals (%)high-end mentals (%)
Primary1.001.50
Secondary0.751.20
Tertiary0.600.85

I seem to remember when I was in the fallen that I was seeing about 30 ranks a day right out of the gate with stats similar to yours, and that slowed down to about 15 ranks a day in a primary skill once I hit the mid 50s which dropped to about 3 ranks a day after a few hunrdred or so ranks (again, rough estimate).

So again, I'd guess (a lot of guesses at this point) that after 24 hours you'd have all skills roughly around 30, or around 8-9nth circle. (they drain at primary rates < 25). At 48 hours played, You'd start to see skills diverge and you'll see roughly 45 in the primary skills, 40 in the secondaries, and late 30s in the tertiary skills. They would continue to pull apart from each other at that point with primary > secondary having a smaller gap than secondary > tertiary at the high end. (again bad guess derived from other bad guesses).

This is with a LOT of handwaving. Your skills will learn at different rates based on what you're doing. Log-out drain will keep them closer than they normally would be. High mentals will affect primary and secondaries more than terts. Combat skills are often gated by your other combat skills (evasion for a paladin), experience rates differ based on subscription type, and so on.
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/23/2016 09:34 PM CDT
Thanks guys for your input. Seems to be nearly impossible to figure out accurately. Which is fine I suppose.

Derium, thats one of the reasons I ask, because I'm playing in TF mainly now and was wondering what I could reasonably expect to gain over a weekend.

Not a big deal, but when scripting away questions like these can arise!
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/23/2016 11:34 PM CDT
Given skills that are always moving (i.e. never dropping below 1/34) I've found that you can generally expect primary skills to be about double your tertiary skills with your secondary skills about halfway between. It's not quite so easy math as that, since pool sizes increase with rank, but it's a decent approximation in my experience.

E.g. if you had 800 in a primary skill then you could probably expect to have around 400 in a tertiary skill and 600 in a secondary skill assuming they were always moving.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/24/2016 10:00 AM CDT

> thats one of the reasons I ask, because I'm playing in TF mainly now and was wondering what I could reasonably expect to gain over a weekend.

Again, it's been a while since I've played my TF characters, but (IIRC) you could expect to be circle 10 after the first 24 hours, 30 after a week or two (depending on class - some are easier than others). It starts to slow down from there, but you could have a well-rounded level 100 in 3-5 months. From there, it was about 1 circle every 2-4 days. It's been a while, and things have changed quite a bit, but I'd guess that would be a rough guide. I imagine that you would only level faster with all of the changes.
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/24/2016 10:22 AM CDT
>> Derium, thats one of the reasons I ask, because I'm playing in TF mainly now and was wondering what I could reasonably expect to gain over a weekend.

My TF character pretty much kept several of his skills locked around the clock, and here's what the highest of each of his groups ended up:

Primary (Melee Mastery): 1423
Secondary (Several): 1208
Tertiary (Inner Magic): 971

Going by those numbers, secondary skills advance 85% as quickly as primary.
Tertiary advance 68% as fast as primary, and 80% as fast as secondary.

I'm sure it's not perfect, but it at least gives an idea of the relative advancement between the skillsets.
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/24/2016 10:23 AM CDT

> My TF character pretty much kept several of his skills locked around the clock

Thanks for sharing. What are your mentals like?
Re: Question on gaining ranks 07/24/2016 11:37 PM CDT
>> Thanks for sharing. What are your mentals like?

They've been 100 for a while. But they obviously weren't 100 during the whole process. I tended to favor mentals, cause I like more ranks, but I tend to keep all stats close to each other.