What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/22/2016 05:17 PM CDT
I was just wondering if anyone knew what happens once you hit the skill cap (still 1750, I believe?). Do you stop draining into that skill or do the number still climb with no increase in effectiveness?
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/22/2016 05:31 PM CDT
You can no longer generate new experience in that skill, and any experience currently in the pool drains without increasing the skill any further.
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/22/2016 06:52 PM CDT

How long did it take you to cap the skill?
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/22/2016 07:07 PM CDT
> How long did it take you to cap the skill?

I'm not sure how to meaningfully answer that. I started the character in 2000, I capped the skill (Bardic Lore) in 2014. During those years, there have been significant changes to exp gain. When 3.0 dropped, I had ~1200 ranks. I also had a lore bonus pool that lasted me all the way from 1200 to 1750.
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/30/2016 01:20 PM CDT
>>You can no longer generate new experience in that skill, and any experience currently in the pool drains without increasing the skill any further.

So does this mean a fully capped character can't generate favors?!
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 06/30/2016 03:04 PM CDT
> So does this mean a fully capped character can't generate favors?!

I suppose so. I don't think it's something to worry about, though, as I don't see a fully capped character coming soon, although maybe TF will surprise me.

The problem is slightly self-correcting, though, since the main way to lose favors is to depart, and most departing brings memory loss, which will allow you to gain favors again.
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 07/15/2016 04:40 PM CDT
I know a depart-on-hitting-ground-dead is 1 rank divided piecemeal among all your ranks (So 1000 rank skill of 25000 ranks total would be 1/25, or .04 of a rank). You can derank.

But there's an edge case of getting rejuvenated by a Cleric, but departing anyways (like too low circle to Resurrect). That would account for favor losses without deranking.

Again, it'd probably never happen because terts move so slow, I'd be amazed to ever see a character who has absolutely capped everything.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/22/2016 07:09 PM CST
It just stops training completely at 1750 00.

I wish GMs would implement a fail-safe at 1750, de-ranking to 1749 when my character dies is annoying.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/22/2016 08:15 PM CST
>>Gorteous: I wish GMs would implement a fail-safe at 1750, de-ranking to 1749 when my character dies is annoying.

I would like to see no loss of earned ranks; change death to a forward-looking penalty.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/22/2016 09:56 PM CST
>>I would like to see no loss of earned ranks; change death to a forward-looking penalty.

+1

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/23/2016 08:54 AM CST

<<I wish GMs would implement a fail-safe at 1750, de-ranking to 1749 when my character dies is annoying.>>

Talk about first world problems.

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/23/2016 12:07 PM CST
Making snarky 'first world' problems in a 20 year old text game played by 300 people in 2016 is silly.
Re: What happens when you 'cap' a skill? 11/23/2016 05:10 PM CST
>>I would like to see no loss of earned ranks; change death to a forward-looking penalty.

Definitely this, it would make me so happy.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR