Re: Development update request 02/16/2016 07:57 PM CST
>> I don't really relish having to train 50 weapons and 400 armors and 20 magics to farm TDPs, and it encourages a bland 'sameness' for characters that I've always thought was sad.

Bears repeating that unless you PvP, you never ever ever ever ever ever ever had to do this.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Development update request 02/16/2016 08:11 PM CST
> Bears repeating that unless you PvP, you never ever ever ever ever ever ever had to do this.

Rosewater had a nice line, which I'll paraphrase: "If you make tedius and unfun play the optimal course, players will do it, they won't have fun, they'll blame your game, and they'll be right to do so."
Re: Development update request 02/16/2016 08:13 PM CST
I honestly wouldn't mind this change at all. I know I am in the minority.

In the distant past, from 1998-2004, I trained the majority of weapons, all armors (carrying 4-separate sets of body armor in my pack), and magic/survival skills much harder than most. I did this not or the TDPs gained. To be honest, I didn't even consider the TDPs I gained from them. I trained these skills because, to me, they were important for RP reasons. All armors were trained so I could be the best at forging armor. Weapons were the same way. I additionally trained polearm and shield hard (back when polearm sucked and shield got you killed) in order to be a good jouster. Lore was trained because of the concept of being an Educated Warrior of the Immortals not a Barb in plate. Survival skills were trained because Lennon is from Mriss, and it's a harsh environment that needed survival skills. I had that idea that if Lennon was dropped naked in the middle of nowhere he wanted the best chance of surviving based on his variety of skills. It was really all RP for me.

But then I came back to the game and saw how much of that whole perspective was forced to change. Armor and weapon skills were no longer important for forging. Shield and polearm became viable skills. Survival skills and lore became so incredibly easy to train (well all skills did really...). So everyone trained everything for nothing but the TDPs.

If this proposed change happens, it won't bother me one bit (OK maybe a little because of the loss of revenue from selling mixed armor sets). I will still train as many of the skills I always have regardless of whether or not I earn TPDs for training them. Again, I know I am in the minority, that's just my reasoning.

--Just a Squire

Riveted to the metal is a small copper plaque depicting a shield crossed with a longsword overlaying a field of thirteen stars. Encircling the design are the words, "Many Faces - One God."
Re: Development update request 02/16/2016 08:14 PM CST
>>Rosewater had a nice line, which I'll paraphrase: "If you make tedius and unfun play the optimal course, players will do it, they won't have fun, they'll blame your game, and they'll be right to do so."

I agree with the sentiment and it's my hope that in the future we'll "need" to spend less hours of our lives to achieve Maximum TDP Potential.

Repeating for the crowd that the limit of the information released can be reduced to, "I plan to reduce the number of skills contributing to TDP and increase the number of TDPs gained per skill." Everything else is projection or outrage at my delivery.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Development update request 02/16/2016 09:01 PM CST
>>Rosewater had a nice line, which I'll paraphrase: "If you make tedius and unfun play the optimal course, players will do it, they won't have fun, they'll blame your game, and they'll be right to do so."

Thank you, that's more or less what I was trying to explain.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Development update request 02/17/2016 12:00 AM CST
>> Bears repeating that unless you PvP, you never ever ever ever ever ever ever had to do this.

Have to is such a weak argument. You don't have to do much in life.

But training everything was the optimal way, and players will generally choose the optimal way, even if it's less fun.