Skill Cap Bits 01/17/2016 08:52 PM CST
I capped my guild-only skill today and collected some numbers I thought might be interesting:

Discipline 100
Wisdom 100
Intelligence 100

Astrology 1749 80.26% mind lock (34/34)
Astrology 1749 85.08% clear (0/34) 4.82 (full pool volume)
Astrology 1749 99.36% very rapt (31/34)
Astrology 1749 99.55% rapt (30/34) .19 (wall rank pulse size)

Re: Skill Cap Bits 01/17/2016 09:05 PM CST
Congratulations!

Also, 4.82% of a rank from a full pool makes me whimper.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Skill Cap Bits 01/17/2016 09:09 PM CST
Thank you! Whimper is a good word for it for sure.
Re: Skill Cap Bits 01/18/2016 08:15 PM CST
Actually, I'm kind of relieved at those numbers.

~1100 ranks in primary skillset with 94 Int/50 Dis, a full pool is only roughly 10%.

1133 ranks, 80 Wisdom, I've got a pulse size of .34%

I expected it to be much worse.

So over the next ~650 ranks, rank time will only about double per rank.

I guess it's bad from the standpoint I'm looking at about 4 days per rank, sure. I was thinking it'd go to like a week between ranks.

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Skill Cap Bits 02/17/2016 06:32 PM CST
Thanks for the data, Coldlight. I have been crunching some numbers due to the TDP conversation, but I didn't want to post it over there because it'll just get buried. I based the rates off of Armifer's post relating mentals to the learning rates/pools: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Abilities,%20Skills%20and%20Magic/The%20Experience%20System/thread/1753600?page=2

It's probably off by a little bit at least, since he didn't give the value for 100, which is where all your mentals line up. I just put it evenly between 90 and 120. Numbers are entirely based off of 1749 -> 1750:

Stat Modifier Pulse Hours per rank
10 1 0.150 33.3
30 1.12 0.168 29.7
60 1.21 0.182 27.5
90 1.25 0.188 26.7
100 1.266 0.19 26.3
120 1.3 0.195 25.6

Stat Modifier Full drain # Full drains per rank
10 1 3.807 26.3
30 1.12 4.264 23.5
60 1.21 4.607 21.7
90 1.25 4.759 21.0
100 1.266 4.82 20.7
120 1.3 4.949 20.2

Re: Skill Cap Bits 02/17/2016 10:16 PM CST
>> The issue isn't where people are with their stats. That's a symptom of the actual problem: TDP generation was allowed to run away for far too long, making the current system of "train all the things!" become the "norm", and the "norm" is unfortunately a poor design that needs to be changed.

This was an inevitable consequence of new mind-states. Being someone who was /way/ ahead of the curve, I can tell you that this was one of my goals when I returned in mid 2010. I can also tell you that prior to 3.0, it wasn't much of a problem at all. 3.0's dramatic increase in experience gained per action across the boards combined with the increase in critter teaching ranges(from 20-25% to 40%) and masteries really tipped the scales in favor of the current 'go for the gold' setup.

Prior to 3.0, if I wanted to train lower weapons, I had to move to assassins or shalswar. I was spending 15-20 minutes trying to squeak out a lock for main weapon in intercessors(which, admittedly, was very close to the cap). Afterwards, I could do it in less than 5, and could train nearly everything there.

Fixing these issues should have been a priority right out of the gate, but problems never seem to be get fixed proactively due to the complete lack of communication between players and GMs. IMO, a liaison system would be ideal, although my concern is that it will end up like the old one where a majority of it's representatives have no idea how their guilds or mechanics work. IMO, this 'vow of confidentiality' crap regarding dev is a load of hogwash. I'm not trying to slam the GMs here, but it seems that more often than not, players have a better idea of how mechanics work than the person who wrote them.

>> I based the rates off of Armifer's post relating mentals to the learning rates/pools:

Until we receive confirmation that they are actually implemented this way, I would take the post-100 numbers with a grain of salt. I did a mentals test about a year and a half ago on test and found that they did nothing past 100(even at 130+).

Several others who tried it also reported the same results.

On the 'barrier of entry' issue, aside from my previous statement about stats being a symptom of a more serious ailment(core combat), I would argue that the only feasible way to do this without handing ~70% of the game a nerf is to lower the golden ratio TDP multiplier, or perhaps craft a new one entirely. An average character, assuming he isn't horribly lopsided, hits the golden ratio in the low 1300s, so you could probably bring that down to about 900-1000 by decreasing it to 75 or 80. It would lower the 'barrier of entry' enough that people would have to find something else to blame their shortcomings on. Granted, you'd have to re-scale stats as well.

If they instead chose to fix core combat, all checks including offense and defense would need to be templated and standardized across the boards, and every type of damage/damage multiplier would need to be reined in - no more breaking globals caps for fun. To-hit values and the damage floor on weapons and spells would need to be increased across the boards, and damage caps would need to be brought down slightly in order to balance it out. IMO, spells should get the same treatment, but make them easier to cast, less prone to failure, and faster. Engagement time needs to be dramatically shortened either way.

Stealth either needs to be split into two categories(passive and active) or rewritten. I see it as between a rock and a hard place(complete immunity vs completely worthless) Passive would allow people to be sneaky and get around like how it is now, active would allow stealthers to retain their usefulness in situations where they have been spotted. Succeeding in a stealth contest doesn't have to imply completely vanishing, it can be as simple as a sudden distraction causing them to lose focus for a brief period and thereby exposing a vulnerable point.

IMO, the ideal for fun and interesting combat should be about stringing together combos rather than 1-2 hit KOs or singular spells/abilities that cripple a player's ability to defend, and secondarily, having counters for certain types of actions. It is my belief that combat in 3.0 is an undisciplined ineffectual mess of a system where most of the spells/abilities/options available to a player are worthless and there is only one 'right' way to do things in a given circumstance. To me, it should be where you have bread and butter abilities but that others also retain their usefulness in niche circumstances or through prolonged encounters.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."