Small TM question/problem 08/21/2007 11:55 PM CDT
I'll start with the basic personal info.
I am a 16th circle Warrior Mage.

Strength : 17 Reflex : 15
Agility : 15 Charisma : 14
Discipline : 15 Wisdom : 16
Intelligence : 14 Stamina : 16
Favors: 4
Concentration: 42 Max: 42

Primary Magic: 132 83% muddled
Harness Ability: 135 85% bewildering
Power Perceive: 110 90% very muddled
Magical Devices: 71 57% very muddled
Targeted Magic: 64 02% clear

I am currently hunting beisswurms, and as long as they keep coming steadily, I can get my TM to "very muddled" in pretty short order. Usually by then PM and HA are either mind locked, or really close to it, so I take a little break to let the pool drain. I have been noticing that I can't seem to get TM to pulse at more than 1 or 2 percent. If this is the way it is when TM is 64, am I gonna have to hunt for a week to get TM from 100 to 100.50? Are my INT/WIS/DISC out of balance? I just want to know what I can do to boost the learning a bit. I've done a lot of hunting in the past 9 hours, and in that time TM has gone from about 63.25 to a whopping 64.02. I just don't understand why a skill in my "primary" skill set is this difficult to train this early on, while my other magic skills don't seem to have this problem. This is torture!

Fighting with a scimitar and holding a target shield, you think it is likely that the musk hog is a mythical being of immense power and ability.
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 12:18 AM CDT
In a primary skill going from rank 63 to 64 is a wall rank, so it will be very slow. Assuming you can get TM training well, 64 to 65 should go much faster.

It also sounds like you have just about maxed out that critter for TM learning. If your weapons and defenses are similar to your target I would recommend you take a trip to Ratha and try sand sprites. They should teach your Target very well. If you have the GZ spell try casting it over and over as fast as you can with a low prep. Just, prep gz, target, and then cast. Don't bother with waiting for full target, just do it as fsat as you can without the spell failing, or backfiring.

Wabo
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 03:16 AM CDT
Looks like you just rolled over from the 63 wall to the 64 postwall.

If you were only getting very muddled on the wall, I'd say you're not learning all that well, because now that you're on the postwall, you'll probably be learning-thoughtful-pondering.

Beisswurms do slow down about low 70s, if I recall, and mid70s+ is like pulling teeth. If you think your defenses can take it, try rock trolls, you can probably get up to about 80. Then go to sand sprites.

PoKaeta

"Whatever, it's the end of the world. There's actually a Trader guild now. Bards are no longer useless. Empaths can finally stand up for themselves. We're all doomed."
- Vinjince
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 06:59 AM CDT
In my experience, beisswurms teach TM badly, so hunting something else that actually teaches a reasonable amount of TM per creature would be good. Around that level I was hunting bone wolves just south of Leth. And shortly thereafter, as mentioned, sand sprites out on Ratha teach TM like a charm.

Note that there are some other factors that affect how well you learn TM, including which TM spell (or spells) you use to hunt with, what level you prep them at, whether you snap cast, partially target, or go for full target before you cast. Including the use of the various Pathways.

Within limits, remembering that "mind lock" means that you are likely losing some TM training bits, the higher you can get your TM pool state, the faster you will gain "real" experience in the skill.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 07:56 AM CDT
Yeah, you're definitely on the cusp of learning anything at all from the beisswurms. Post up your combat skills and people could more easily give you an idea of where to go. Without looking, I'd say rock trolls, but that would be dependent on whether or not you have SUF/SW, and what your combat skills look like.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 08:20 AM CDT
Here's where I stand in the combat skill department:

Parry Ability: 52 58% Multi Opponent: 59 75%
Medium Edged: 57 41% Shield Usage: 63 11%
Light Chain: 66 43% Evasion: 55 06%

From experience, I think rock trolls are a bit much, but I have heard previously, and opinion seems to follow in the past few messages, that bone wolves or sand sprites are gonna be the way to go. Although to avoid either of those long trips, I might just try to tough it out in rockies till I grow the appropriate callouses from being repeatedly beaten with pine saplings. :)

Fighting with a scimitar and holding a target shield, you think it is likely that the musk hog is a mythical being of immense power and ability.
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 08:32 AM CDT
Hmm, rock trolls are going to be really tough for you right now. That's an awkward range. Bone wolves would be pretty bad too if you got swarmed, especially since there's a fair chance nobody would come across your body that would be able to help. One on one bone wolves would probably work pretty well. But another factor about them is, there's only 1 or 2 good Elemental mana rooms in the hunting area. My advice would be to stick it out in beisswurms until you got around 60 in your defenses. By the way, nice job having both shield and evasion higher than parry. If you're locking all three, then that will naturally change over time, but keep in mind that parry is our easiest learned defense, so don't neglect it. There will be times when you need the highest amount of parry possible and your SW bonus.

Oh, have you tried reavers? I think they might teach, and the wind hounds would be awesome to dance w/ for defenses. Those should get you fully ready for rock trolls, and might teach TM just a tad bit better than the beisswurms.

Re: Small TM question/problem 08/22/2007 10:14 AM CDT
Wind hounds and reavers is certainly worth a try in that range. You'll still have trouble learning TM (reavers have shields, hounds won't teach), but your weapons and defenses will do well, especially if you go in the mine where you can get more reavers than hounds.
Re: Small TM question/problem 08/23/2007 09:23 AM CDT
I appreciate all the helpful input, but with my mental attributes the way they are now, is there any tweaking that could improve things from that end of things? I always hear different things about the INT/WIS/DIS balance, and I didn't really pay much attention to it before I tried this whole mage thing, but if it can boost the TM learning process, I'll do whatever I can.

Re: Small TM question/problem 08/23/2007 09:43 AM CDT
No amount of mentals is going to make you learn TM any better in beisswurms. Increasing your wisdom will probably provide the biggest help to draining primary pools, but you have to worry about locking those pools first.