TM learning post combat changes 07/03/2007 12:34 AM CDT
so stats effect the spells less...so we do less damage overall which in turn means less skill.... what about the young folks trying to get there feet wet...if i cma having issues doing damage...is it scaled for them.. I got decent magics and find it hard to lock at on a critter that teaches at 140 with 140 in TM.

just looking for and wanting some ideas of what I should do? it seems I gotta seriuosly blast away for quite awhile to get locked.
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/03/2007 06:16 AM CDT
>>just looking for and wanting some ideas of what I should do? it seems I gotta seriuosly blast away for quite awhile to get locked.

Assuming you're fighting something that teaches a while and doesn't have a weapon, like peccs/leucro, it IS a prime skill, so its going to take more then a few casts to get anywhere. Stick to multi-shot spells, they tend to teach better.

Samsaren
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/03/2007 06:35 AM CDT
If your a WM use pathway Damage, it helps

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/16/2007 06:04 PM CDT
Well, I can say this much. I am not able to train it effectively. I just hit Circle 11 as a WM. I am using Fireball to train with, and using Path Damage fairly often. I've got 44 TM and am hunting Jackals, Cougars, and Bobcats, and I can't get myself above concentrating even with a constant stream of critters. Tried Water Sprites and Lipopods, and Wood Trolls and Grendals as well, nothing really seems to work. have also tried snap casting, full prepping, and somewhere in between. also I have tried min prepping and above min prep with all of these combinations.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 03:00 AM CDT
I would think the cougar area past the brook should be a good fit for your TM. Without knowing your defenses, it is hard to say how well you can handle the gen there.

Unless your other magic skills are a lot higher than I would think they are, I would recommend going back to FS instead of FB, since that will use less mana per cast, so you can cast more often.

Also, if you can get the southernmost room, since it has the best Elemental mana, the grass eels in the rverbed would teach TM fairly well. Again, if you can handle the swarm. Small area, 3 eels per hunter.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:22 AM CDT
Well my other magics are probably a lot higher than you might think especially in PP

PP: 92
PM: 61
Harn:59
Shield:39
LC: 37
HC: 39
Parry: 47
Evasion: 41
ME: 40
hinderance: moderate

in a good mana room, I can cast a min prep fireballs for a very long time. Fire shard just doesn't seem to train quite as well, but I can prep it at 4 mana and still be regenerating mana faster than i am using it if i full prep and full target, but i can't seem to get past pondering. using fireball at 6 mana, I am slightly mana regen negative, but have so far been able to get upto muddled in TM out in cougars, I might be able to get it higher but i only just started going out there. If i put it into a script it would probably be a bit more negative, but as it is right now, I am somewhere between losing about 1% and staying about even. so I think using FB makes more sense for me.

the Gen rate out in cougars is very good for me, I dont need to use SW or SUF against 2 cougars with my best defense setup (parry/evasion) and i have yet to see 3 cougars at once as i kill them effectively with FB.

I also tried out eels, but the mana is much worse out there, but they sure are good for training defenses
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:34 AM CDT
I don't know if this will help you. But I have a warmie with slightly higher weapons and defenses, who uses aether lance against grendels quite successfully. And if it's not them, it's the brown bears in the orchard. You will have to find an equivalent critter.

Right now, with the rainy season starting, fire-based spells will be harder to get the most effectiveness out of.

The mind behind Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:37 AM CDT
>>I don't know if this will help you. But I have a warmie with slightly higher weapons and defenses, who uses aether lance against grendels quite successfully. And if it's not them, it's the brown bears in the orchard. You will have to find an equivalent critter.

AeL is a wonderful spell for training. I used it till I was able to get Lash. It might be my imagination but I like to think that since it pierces all the way through and can cause internal damage it does more damage, ergo teaches better. Of course this might not fit in with your RP style?

Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:37 AM CDT
well, I am pretty much locked into fire spells for the moment, if i want to get lightning bolt any time soon... well I guess i will have GZ soon.

BTW does anyone have a list of what circles WM's get spell slots?
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:39 AM CDT
"AeL is a wonderful spell for training. I used it till I was able to get Lash. It might be my imagination but I like to think that since it pierces all the way through and can cause internal damage it does more damage, ergo teaches better. Of course this might not fit in with your RP style? "

Perhaps i will have to take AeL...
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:40 AM CDT
If memory serves its 1st 2nd 3rd 5th 6th 7th 9th then every 3? I know it's every 3 after 9th and the first three circles and that you don't get one at 4th I just can't remember the rest very well

Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:41 AM CDT
>>BTW does anyone have a list of what circles WM's get spell slots?

As warmies are a magic-prime guild, they will get spells at a prime rate. Oh yes, Olwydd.org does have charts listing the circles where various guilds get spells and abilities.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 11:46 AM CDT
Thanks for info Dearmank. and Enots I have looked on olwydd.org several times for that info and was unable to find it, thanks though
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 12:00 PM CDT
>> and Enots I have looked on olwydd.org several times for that info and was unable to find it, thanks though

Odd- I could swear I had seen the lists there, under the information for the guilds. But then, the site hasn't been maintained much lately, except for a few places that have various people working on them. I'll take a peek and see what's going on.

Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 12:11 PM CDT
>well, I am pretty much locked into fire spells for the moment, if i want to get lightning bolt any time soon... well I guess i will have GZ soon.

This confused me. It seems like you're saying you have to go high up the fire tree to get LB. You know that's not the case, right?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 12:23 PM CDT
>>This confused me. It seems like you're saying you have to go high up the fire tree to get LB. You know that's not the case, right?

>>well, I am pretty much locked into fire spells for the moment. If i want to get lightning bolt any time soon though, I guess i will have GZ soon.

Fixed

Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 12:40 PM CDT
no I mean that I have FB already, but i am working up the electricity tree for Lightning bolt... therefore i will have GZ soon
Re: TM learning post combat changes 07/17/2007 07:12 PM CDT
I think you will find GZ a much better spell for training target.
Wabo