Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 11:27 AM CST
Recently I found myself in a situation where a creature (one of those silhouettes on Taisgath) was unable to hit me with one spell (Dinazen Olkar), but killed me in one hit with another spell (Crystal Spike). I later came to find out that Crystal Spike ignores shields, which is what brought this issue to my attention.

Combat in DR is designed such that the defender is at a severe disadvantage when using only one of the three active defenses (evasion, shield, and parry). This is fine in situations where there are at least two of said defenses that work against an attack (ranged weapons are fine even though they ignore parry, for instance, since they can be blocked). If, however, a given attack ignores two of the three defenses, leaving only one for the defender to use, the defender is placed at an unreasonably large disadvantage that cannot be overcome by choosing to use another of the three defenses. This situation simply should not be allowed to exist.

Having said that, I propose that all targeted magic attacks become either blockable or parryable. I would not be opposed to some spells ignoring shield but not parry, while other spells ignore parry but not shield. There should not, however, be any spell that ignores both. I don't care how little sense it makes to be able to block <insert spell here> with a shield or a weapon; this is purely about giving the defender a fair chance. Obviously my evasion and shield skills are sufficient to thwart the aforementioned silhouette's targeted magic skill, as evidenced by my blockage of the Dinazen Olkar spell, yet it was able to simply blow my chest into oblivion even with its defficient skill by picking a spell that ignores shield. This is a problem.

Thanks,
-Grand Master Empath Karthor
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 11:49 AM CST
>>Recently I found myself in a situation where a creature (one of those silhouettes on Taisgath) was unable to hit me with one spell (Dinazen Olkar), but killed me in one hit with another spell (Crystal Spike). I later came to find out that Crystal Spike ignores shields, which is what brought this issue to my attention.

Crystal Spike, Burn and Lightening Bolt (probably some more) are spells that attack from above and theoretically at near the speed of light. You don't see them comming so how can any defense other than armor and stamina be considered in the contest?

Crystal Spike may not actually come from above but it is moving pretty fast.

Delvan, walking the astral plane once more
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 12:10 PM CST
>Crystal Spike, Burn and Lightening Bolt (probably some more) are spells that attack from above and theoretically at near the speed of light. You don't see them comming so how can any defense other than armor and stamina be considered in the contest?

Ah yes using 'real life' to justify something in a game.

I two must concur that anything involving 'mundane' defenses should always be contested by at least 2 of them.

The Prydaen word for Woman is Yif.
That explains a lot.

Lots more stuff coming 'Soon'!

http://www.zairius.com

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 12:42 PM CST
I think CRS is blockable might be wrong but will test later.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 01:54 PM CST
"Crystal Spike, Burn and Lightening Bolt (probably some more) are spells that attack from above and theoretically at near the speed of light. You don't see them comming so how can any defense other than armor and stamina be considered in the contest?"

So that's why you can dodge faster then the speed of light? If I have the reflex to move my entire body faster then the spell, why not just one arm with my shield on it/in hand?

Andrew
Player of Adakin Sothir
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 01:55 PM CST
>>I later came to find out that Crystal Spike ignores shields, which is what brought this issue to my attention.

Crystal Spike does not ignore shields.

-Armifer
"What covers all the world?"
"Darkness."
"What keeps a thing from discovering itself?"
"That is also darkness."
-Yudhishthira tested by Dharma, in the Mahabharata
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 01:57 PM CST
<<There should not, however, be any spell that ignores both.>>

ummmmmm this would be bad for the abilities out there which aren't magic but negate 2 defeses... since it makes no logical sense than being an arbitrary "i don't like this" rule.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 02:01 PM CST
<<Crystal Spike does not ignore shields.>>

Interesting. Could you explain, then, why my 100% success rate at blocking Dinazen Olkar (evasion+shield) translated to a one-hit kill from Crystal Spike cast by the same creature, if in fact I was using the same defenses and it was using the same Targeted Magic? Even if this particular spell is not the culprit, the point still stands that no spell should ignore two of the three active defenses.

Thanks,
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 02:03 PM CST
<<ummmmmm this would be bad for the abilities out there which aren't magic but negate 2 defeses... since it makes no logical sense than being an arbitrary "i don't like this" rule.>>

Sorry, I didn't mean to single out magic like that. In fact, no attack of any kind should be able to ignore two of the three defenses.

Thanks,
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 02:18 PM CST
>>Could you explain, then, why my 100% success rate at blocking Dinazen Olkar (evasion+shield) translated to a one-hit kill from Crystal Spike cast by the same creature, if in fact I was using the same defenses and it was using the same Targeted Magic?

Crystal Spike is a more powerful spell than Dinazen Olkar, and there are countless possible variables in the situation which I cannot speak to in a forums post summary.

>>Even if this particular spell is not the culprit, the point still stands that no spell should ignore two of the three active defenses.

We call those Stat Contest spells.

-Armifer
"Darkness."
"That is also darkness."
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 02:43 PM CST
<<Crystal Spike is a more powerful spell than Dinazen Olkar, and there are countless possible variables in the situation which I cannot speak to in a forums post summary.>>

I can understand the "other variables" thing, but I'm afraid I'm still confused about the "more powerful spell" part. Even if the spell's capable of dealing more damage (which I assume is what you mean by more powerful), why would the creature in question be more capable of hitting me with that spell than with another one? I mean, completely successful defense vs. instant death is a BIG difference. To use a ranged attack analogy, it sounds like you're saying that I should be less likely to dodge/block an arrow that does heavy puncture damage than one that does fair puncture damage fired by the same attacker from the same bow under the same aiming conditions. That seems bogus to me; their aim shouldn't suddenly improve just because they've got a more powerful arrow (or spell, to go back to the original situation in question). Sorry if that's not a good analogy, I'm trying to understand this here.

<<We call those Stat Contest spells.>>

Can I take that to mean that there are, in fact, no targeted magic spells that ignore both shield and parry? That's really the whole point of all this...contested spells are another beast entirely.

I appreciate your taking the time to explain this.
Thanks,
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 03:33 PM CST
>>but I'm afraid I'm still confused about the "more powerful spell" part.

Unlike weapons, spells have what are referred to as tiers, where, in order to learn X spell, you also need to have learned 1 or more other spells first.

Dinazen Olkar (DO): Requirements: Shadows, Telekinetic Throw.
Shadows: None
Telekinetic Throw: None
This makes DO a second tier spell, available to a Moon Mage as low as 3rd circle. Minimal skill requirements, low mana requirements, and fairly easy prey to MR.

Crystal Spike (CrS): Requirements: 40th Circle, Clarify Gem.
Clarify Gem: Requirements: Piercing Gaze, Dazzle, Focus Moonbeam.
Piercing Gaze: Requirements: Clear Vision.
Dazzle: Requirements: Shadows.
Focus Moonbeam: Requirements: Shadows.
Shadows: None
Clear Vision: None
So, CrS requires being at least 40th circle (compared to 3rd), and also a set of 8 other spells to be known first, and is considered to be a 5th tier spell, since there is a "path" of 4 spells needed to be learned in order to be able to learn CrS.

Which also means that it will have a much higher minimum mana requirement, and much higher skill reqs to add more mana to the spell, along with doing a better job of overcoming MR.

And, in this case, along with the major difference in overcoming the effects of MR, you are not taking into account the effect of the RNG. Just like "normal" weapons, magical TM-based attacks use the Random Number Generator in their to-hit equation.

So, just like the current open-ended hits, if you get a series of good rolls on one side of the equation, and bad rolls on the other, you can get one-hit killed.

~Kyn (Kynevon)

Info Page http://kynevon.info
Grimoire of Echoes: http://tinyurl.com/2ac987
Hunting Info: http://tinyurl.com/44jlt
Armor Info: http://tinyurl.com/2h5jcp
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 03:55 PM CST
It certainly seems possible for some spells to be more accurate than others.

Several months ago, I did a bit of testing which involved me completely dodging a whole string of Chain Lightning strikes, but being blasted by an Aether Lash from the same caster.

- Xelten
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 04:11 PM CST
>>Which also means that it will have a much higher minimum mana requirement,

Actually, higher tier spells tend to have lower minimum mana prep requirements. They do scale faster though, requiring more skill per extra mana and giving a lot more effectiveness per extra mana. So if they happen to be using the same mana for both spells, the extra couple points over minimum for the higher tiered spell will likely cause more damage, given they have the skill to cast at that much mana.

As far as the accuracy issue, it may be something as simple as that specific spell being more accurate. This doesn't necessarily trend to more accurate with higher tier, since higher tier spells may instead just be more powerful, or more versatile.

For instance, if I need to hit something at the edge of my abilities, I may opt to use the more accurate aether lash spell (tier 2) over the more powerful but less accurate chain lightning spell (tier 4). The spell may not do as much damage, but at least I'm fairly certain I can hit. Whereas if I know I am pretty well guaranteed to hit something, I will often use the more damaging chain lighting instead.

I'm not familiar with the relative accuracy of the spells in question, but if CrS is just barely accurate enough to break the threshold to being able to hit, it may be using its tier 4 status to turn that moderate hit into something a little more substantial. Though as has been mentioned, its hard to tell since there are also significant other factors involved.

As far as the validity of single defense abilities: I don't see an inherent problem with them, so long as the accuracy is scaled back to take that into account. I like the extra complexity these Death From Above spells add to combat, but I wouldn't expect them to hit with the same accuracy as a spell balanced to account for two defenses. I would like to see some spells that contest only parry and evasion, and perhaps just parry or just shield. Again though, they should be given a lowered accuracy to properly take this fact into consideration. These contests differentiate themselves from stat based contests in that it becomes a more simple case of scaling back the required skill for success formula, instead of trying to account for all the complex situations that may arise with obtaining and balancing stats.

-Gandoloth
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 04:13 PM CST
<<I can understand the "other variables" thing, but I'm afraid I'm still confused about the "more powerful spell" part.>>

Dinazen Olkar
The Dinazen Olkar spell creates an edged rope of shadows that attempts to rip body parts away from the target. Damage naturally depends upon your abilities at targeting as well as the amount of power you can put into the spell. Requirements: Shadows, Telekinetic Throw.

Crystal Spike
The Crystal Spike spell is a targeted attack favored by the Monks of the Crystal Hand. Partly illusion and partly a remnant of ancient days before the Lunar Accord, this spell often includes a feint so that the real attack takes the target off guard. Targeting has no useful effect, but the spell is fairly accurate anyway, and usually strikes twice, emulating the martial style of the Monks. Requirements: 40th Circle, Clarify Gem.

First off Crystal spike is a 4th tier spell...(high requirements to get)

Secondly the spell discription says it gives a feint attack.

<< To use a ranged attack analogy, it sounds like you're saying that I should be less likely to dodge/block an arrow that does heavy puncture damage than one that does fair puncture damage fired by the same attacker from the same bow under the same aiming conditions...

You aren't under the same conditions, they are different spells with different numbers and different effects.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 05:44 PM CST
>>Actually, higher tier spells tend to have lower minimum mana prep requirements. ....

Don't know anything bout wanna be mages spells but the minimum preps for some moonie spells are

Shadows 1
Clear Vission 4
Dinazen Olkar 3
Partial Displacement 9
Crystal Spike 10

That is not to say that any of the above spells are of much use if prepared at that level.

Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 05:57 PM CST
I have noticed that DO specifically tends to be more easily blocked by shields.

Note that I have done no actual empirical testing to confirm this, it's just what I've noticed after years of hunting and PvPing with it and other spells.

Rev. Reene

You accept Syralon's offer and are now holding some holy oil.

Syralon says to you, "May the oil make you shiny and full of religion."
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/09/2007 06:00 PM CST
DO is very very shield-friendly.

Crystal Spike, not so much.

>>and DIMINISHEDANGLE.

He's so acute.

-Durnil
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/14/2007 12:57 PM CDT
I mostly agree that TM spells should have to have shield/evasion checks, not so much parry though. When I fight at melee normally at level I am getting shield checks all the time which means they are breaking through my evasion. So if I had to give up shield I would be getting wrecked. I am not sure how spells are scaled or how they are checked. I do know that if I can't get past a creatures shield I either target longer or Burn them. Mostly this seems to affect HP users. There evasion is being greatly hindred, Parry is out of the question and shield might be ignored.

Player of Gilart

You gesture.
A bright blue-white Moongate opens in the water before you. The water begins to rush through the gate, and you feel yourself being pulled along with it!
After a few seconds of struggle, you find yourself pulled through!
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 10:29 AM CDT
So, has anyone actually blocked CS with a shield? I have not been successful as of yet against my mage friends.

Madigan
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 12:44 PM CDT
With 100 Evasion and 94 shield, against 105 TM CRS will hit me.

Player of Gilart

You gesture.
A bright blue-white Moongate opens in the water before you. The water begins to rush through the gate, and you feel yourself being pulled along with it!
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 01:47 PM CDT
I should add though, that I was fairly hindered from my armor and my shield was at 80% stance which gives me 75 effective ranks, and very heavy burden. My reflex was 20, his Agil is 24.. not sure how much each part figures into the To Hit.

Player of Gilart

You gesture.
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 02:38 PM CDT
Ouch, get rid of burden and try any unhindering armor. Should make somewhat a difference.

Player of Adakin Sothir
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 02:56 PM CDT
The burden was from a bunch of gems and boxes collected from a previous hunt I forgot to get rid of before testing. I am not sure I can get any armor that is less hindering (short of forged) then my Silver Gilt hauberk.

Player of Gilart

You gesture.
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 04:59 PM CDT
>>So, has anyone actually blocked CS with a shield? I have not been successful as of yet against my mage friends.

Armifer gestures at you.
A deathly silent circle of light spins into being, whirling and bristling with glistening spines until it coalesces into a dark crystalline spike.
>
A dark crystalline spike crackles with shimmering light and discharges an undulating blast at you!
Your shield is smoking slightly but you are unharmed.
>
A dark crystalline spike crackles with shimmering light and discharges an undulating blast at you!
Your shield is smoking slightly but you are unharmed.
The crystalline spike splits asunder.

-Armifer
"Darkness."
"That is also darkness."
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/15/2007 05:38 PM CDT
Can that spell be PARTIALLY blocked by a shield?

-Sephos
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/17/2007 04:25 PM CDT
The real question is, what happens when you partially block partial displacement?
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/17/2007 04:35 PM CDT
>>>The real question is, what happens when you partially block partial displacement?

I got a kick out of this one! Thanks.

Re: Unblockable Spells 03/17/2007 04:54 PM CDT
>>>The real question is, what happens when you partially block partial displacement?

Halfings.

GM Oolan Jeel

"This island is made mainly of coal and surrounded by fish. Only an organizing genius could produce a shortage of coal and fish at the same time." Aneurin Bevan, May 1945, on World War II rationing and shortages in England.
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/17/2007 04:57 PM CDT

>>Halfings.

Even better. Today is a good day.

Re: Unblockable Spells 03/22/2007 02:14 PM CDT
<<Armifer gestures at you.
A deathly silent circle of light spins into being, whirling and bristling with glistening spines until it coalesces into a dark crystalline spike.>>

Top notch sir. Thanks...guess I should hang out with younger mages. Any chance you can give an idea of ranks used? It would be interesting to see 400 ranks in shield vs. 400 ranks of TM on that spell (or any equal or close number).

Madigan
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/22/2007 10:38 PM CDT
>Top notch sir. Thanks...guess I should hang out with younger mages. Any chance you can give an idea of ranks used? It would be interesting to see 400 ranks in shield vs. 400 ranks of TM on that spell (or any equal or close number).

Feel free to pull me aside from whatever I'm doing if you run by me in Rossman's. I'll toss some spikes your way.

-Ghodbane
Re: Unblockable Spells 03/23/2007 12:38 PM CDT
<<Feel free to pull me aside from whatever I'm doing if you run by me in Rossman's. I'll toss some spikes your way.

-Ghodbane>>

Thanks Ghodbane, really appreciate it sir. I'll gweth if I see you awake.

Madigan